How would gear/build templates work in GW2?

Evil.1580

Please add your suggestions on how this could be implemented.

I will try to give an objective one, which can benefit the game and the player.

A lot of different builds usually use different gear also (weapons/runes/sigils/infusions). So changing the build should also change the gear and why not the look of it. Changing the sigils/infusions/runes could be problematic and I can't think of a way how to do it, but for the rest here's my opinion:I think the most simple method would be to have a button at your character screen to save the current equipment/wardrobe/dye/build changes on the gear and name it and another tab where you can choose which to equip. We can have a fixed amount of templates by default and further upgradable by gemstore.However, this brings several problems - transmutation charges and what happens if one of the gear pieces is missing (not in the same character inventory).If it is implemented like that, each time we equip a saved gear template we can pay a fixed amount of transmutation charges - the simplicity of this method will burn a lot of transmutation charges over time and can bring to more gemstore purchases.About the missing pieces - I think the bank should have shared gear tab, shared across all your characters, which can be expanded further with upgrades from the gemstore, where all your gear will naturally stay if not equipped on any of your characters. Now if you have 2 templates on 2 different characters and 1 of them is equipped we can have several options - one of each is to prohibit the equipment of this template with the warning that piece/s of it is already in use, or another - to unequip it from the other character and equip it on you.

The main problem is the gear. Using the bagslots as is wouldnt work. What happen if you quick change gear... And its already full? GW2 already get a hissy fit and you have to toss stuff if you cant deposit it. Use bank? Not gonna happen. Like witH bagslots, Anet would have to expand the system by alot and do it for free to avoid issues.

No, I think the simplest thing would be a new type of "bagslot" thats not actual inventory, but something thats a fixed expansion of your gear slots. Like, you get two armor/weapons/trinket slots on a standard character (ie a base swap with 2 setups). And if you buy more, you get another full set so you get three helmet slots for example, etc. Each setup would have its own dyes and traits. Since you got both sets already "equipped" it doesnt affect the bank or inventory. You could use it as temporary inventory but it wont potentially mess up for example flipping 2h to two 1h like using bagslots definetly would.

A normal player probably wont need more than 1 swap on a character. Like in WvW, you wanna go roamer or zerger. In PvE maybe you got an open world and a raid build etc. Just charge like 600 gems for expanding it by another swap for those that want more.

@"Dawdler.8521" said:No, I think the simplest thing would be a new type of "bagslot" thats not actual inventory, but something thats a fixed expansion of your gear slots. Like, you get two armor/weapons/trinket slots on a standard character (ie a base swap with 2 setups). And if you buy more, you get another full set so you get three helmet slots for example, etc. Each setup would have its own dyes and traits. Since you got both sets already "equipped" it doesnt affect the bank or inventory. You could use it as temporary inventory but it wont potentially mess up for example flipping 2h to two 1h like using bagslots definetly would.

This is how Runes of Magic did it. The class system in RoM was a little unusual - you had three class slots and you could choose one to be "primary" and another to be "secondary", and you could change which of the three was which by visiting the maid in your house. So my character had Rogue, Mage, and Knight, and I shuffled her between Rogue/Knight, Knight/Mage, and Mage/Knight to keep all three levelled up properly.

And there were gear sets you could set up. The active gear slot didn't change automatically when you changed class, but it was just a button on the equivalent of the Equipment tab of the main hero panel. And the gear in the inactive slots was hidden away. Nice system.

Build menu should change traits, utility skills, and swap gear. That's it. Completely ignore runes and sigils and whatnot; they are destroyed if you remove them, I don't want that to happen automatically anwyay.

Bagslots should never be full when you gear swap because it's swapping. That means there's already something in that slot, you just replace it. The only issue would be changing 2 1-handers for a 2h weapon, but that only requires keeping 1 or two slots open and thats trivial. The whole thing is easily solved by making an invisible equipment bag - it's a safe bag, and any soulbound or account bound gear automatically goes into it.

Archived