Let us pause boosters

Klipso.8653

I was using one of my birthday boosters on my WvW guardian last week, and I realized that I was intentionally not playing my character when we weren't raiding because I didn't want to waste the boost. I would only jump on him when it was raid time. Please give us a way to pause the boosters so they don't tick down duration when we don't want to use them. It's pretty terrible when the only reason you don't log onto a character is because it has a boost going.

I'm sure PvE raiders would want the same type of pausing ability for their foods/utilities between boss encounters.

@Klipso.8653 said:It's pretty terrible when the only reason you don't log onto a character is because it has a boost going.

It is terrible indeed.It is important to note, however, that the way boosters work in GW 2 already allows you to exactly pause your boosters. In any other game (that I know of) your boosters expire in real time regardless of whether you're online at all.

@Airdive.2613 said:In any other game (that I know of) your boosters expire in real time regardless of whether you're online at all.

In BDO boosters still run down if youre not logged into the game, but a defunct game, Marvel Heroes paused boosters when you logged out . I think in GW2 you can pause boosters if you log out then switch to another character else it still runs down , but you must remember to switch to another char after logging out. So different games operate differently it seems.

Also if you could just pause boosters on demand, why not have them paused at all times until you face a boss then unpause them? That would drastically extend their effective duration prob more than Anet would of factored in. I reckon atleast allow booster to pause after logging out and not require the player switch is the best compromise.

On a separate note I think they should make candycorn gobbler either easier to use or get rid of it altogether because the 5s icd is ruining it, but its benefit is also too great to ignore.

@eldrjth.7384 said:

@Airdive.2613 said:In any other game (that I know of) your boosters expire in real time regardless of whether you're online at all.

In BDO boosters still run down if youre not logged into the game, but a defunct game, Marvel Heroes paused boosters when you logged out . I think in GW2 you can pause boosters if you log out then switch to another character
else it still runs down
, but you must remember to switch to another char after logging out. So different games operate differently it seems.

Also if you could just pause boosters on demand, why not have them paused at all times until you face a boss then unpause them? That would drastically extend their effective duration prob more than Anet would of factored in. I reckon atleast allow booster to pause after logging out and not require the player switch is the best compromise.

On a separate note I think they should make candycorn gobbler either easier to use or get rid of it altogether because the 5s icd is ruining it, but its benefit is also too great to ignore.

Easy, make it so you can only pause out of combat and not toggle more often than every 10 min

@"eldrjth.7384" said:Also if you could just pause boosters on demand, why not have them paused at all times until you face a boss then unpause them? That would drastically extend their effective duration prob more than Anet would of factored in.

Yup.In my personal opinion, stuff like this can also promote OCD-like behaviour when people feel the need to toggle their boosters on and off too often, so the "better" solution would be to take things easier.

I reckon atleast allow booster to pause after logging out and not require the player switch is the best compromise.

Have always worked this way for me during the last five years, but maybe I'm just super lucky.

P. S. If you'd like a different explanation: there are still boosters and character slots in the gem store.

I think on the whole, boosters are offered too cheaply to make them as big a concern as the OP is making it out to be. Ironically the free boosters (birthday and celebration ones) were meant to push players into more dedicated play cycles, and show the value of boosters in general. Since you're not buying boosters directly (hardly anyone does given how easy they are to get through multiple sources), theres not that much reason to complain without sounding overly entitled about it.

If you're really that OCD about time specific buffs, just make an Alt dedicated to holding that buff for a specific game mode. $10 (800 gems) for a character slot, which is cheaper then buying the equivalent potency of 24 exp boosters at ~2000 gems. Plus you can go for break with Primers and top tier consumables for whatever illusionary savings you get from it.

Options are there; just gotta think a little and do some math.

Archived