ranger builds

humanevil.8461

@humanevil.8461 said:im using armour with power toughness and vitality stats can anyone point out a build that is effective for pve soloing using this armour set or is it not worth it?

Sounds like you're using the Soldier's set. Honestly speaking, it's not a good set for most open world PVE. I would recommend switching to either Berserker (Power, Precision, Ferocity) if you prefer using Greatswords, Sword, Longbow, or Vipers (Power, Condition Damage, Precision, and Expertise) if you like using Shortbow and Torches.

@humanevil.8461 said:im using armour with power toughness and vitality stats can anyone point out a build that is effective for pve soloing using this armour set or is it not worth it?

If brand new and just used lvl 80 boost, you can try this as a stopgap.http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNBhYDbkQFKZxCWwiFoaxwfQ1pQNsD8+mv1++6LQAA-jxRAwAAM/V5iAoU5nFlgJ3fYwTAgn6PECY0YA-e

it should have ~50-60% crit chance w/ fury.. base 4%+10% w/ trait+20% fury + 7% accuracy+spotter+food. also has decent ferocity with fury due to traits+rune+food+signet. And with remorseless you will crit even more by gaining fury. Just be sure to run signets and survival skills, also fill in your best power pets as you get them.

thanks guys it looks like i need to put some effort in to get new gear> @Ojimaru.8970 said:

Sounds like you're using the Soldier's set. Honestly speaking, it's not a good set for most open world PVE. I would recommend switching to either Berserker (Power, Precision, Ferocity) if you prefer using Greatswords, Sword, Longbow, or Vipers (Power, Condition Damage, Precision, and Expertise) if you like using Shortbow and Torches.

whats the best place for that gear ? dungeon or karma venders?

I'm not saying don't do it, but if you do choose to switch to beservers or viper's equipment bear in mind it will be a big change from soldiers.

Soldiers is a 'tank' build - you've got both defensive stats which means you can absorb a lot of damage. You're still far from invincible but you'll survive more than most people.

Beservers and Vipers are both at the other extreme - 3 offensive stats and no defensive, which makes them 'glass cannon' builds. That's exactly what it sounds like, you'll hit like a cannon but you'll shatter like glass if you get hit. You'll need to use a lot more active defense (dodging, kiting, and using your healing skill and other defensive skills) to survive.

In general glass cannon builds are preferred in GW2 because there's enough active defenses available that a good player who is paying attention doesn't need defensive stats, and there's a lot of benefits to being able to end a fight quickly. But for new players, or anyone who can't/doesn't want to rely on quick reactions at all times defensive stats can come in useful.

This page on the Wiki lists all the available stat combinations, there's a lot to choose from, some more useful than others but if you want to experiment you can make some interesting builds: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Attribute_combinations#Three_attributes

To answer your original question, if you do want to stick with Soldier's for now, I'd say the main thing to be aware of is that your only offensive stat is power - you have no stats that help your conditions, so it's better to focus on weapons that do mostly/entirely direct damage like the longbow and greatsword over ones that apply lots of conditions like the shortbow.

Soldier's armor seems like a good set at first glance, but in reality it has few uses. Even though the "main stat" is Power, the secondary stats are both for survivability, and the secondary stats taken together are a higher numeric value than the main stat. What this means, essentially, is that it's a stat set for tanking, not for damage.

As a Ranger (and I main one as well), you have far more useful ways to tank than relying in Soldiers armor. Traiting Wilderness Survival, using Greatsword, or using your pet for tanking all work and let you pick a more damage-oriented stat set. Depending on what weapons you use, you can go for a variety of different sets.

Like written above, go for Berserkers if you use Greatsword and Longbow. They also recommended Viper's for poison and bleed-based weapons, which is also good advice. However, Berserkers armor is expensive to buy and Viper's is expensive to craft (it can only be crafted)

My recommendation is to go with a Carrion set. That gives you primarily Condition Damage and secondarily gives you Vitality and straight Power. That is a very cheap set that would be good for hybrid melee weapons like Sword/Torch, Axe, etc. You could get a lot of use out of the Carrion set with the Skirmishing specialization.

To solo in ranger you wouldnt really need much build since the pet is a really good tank. If you want to survive and never be down try a druid build. The healing and life on the character is a lot and you can survive very well. I did use that for a while when i was doing couple practice raids. However when solowing the damage isnt that great so it takes longer to kill bosses. Condi so far I think is best. Even if you fall you can always rally since ranger has very good condi damage. Toughness i wouldn't really focus on that since if you ever do a dungeon with someone. Or use the lfg you will always be targeted. And ranger isnt the best defensive class in the game. I wouldnt do that.

@Evolseed.9104 said:Berserker gear (Power, Ferocity, Precision) especially if you can't grind every day for Viper armor recipes in HoT! Before you laugh out loud, pig is the best Ranger companion especially in PoF. That little porker could knock down Balthazaar!

what sigils and runes would you say to use?

Archived