How do you pair main-off-hand weapons?

whoknocks.4935

Currently using boonbeast in both sPvP and WvW for solo roaming.

I am rolling the standard:

sword/warhorn + axe/axe.

But my question is, what change if someone goes sword/axe + axe/warhorn? Is it equal, less or more effective than the above one?

Or for example if you use dagger off-hand for extra evade, it pairs better with sword or axe?

How do you choose it? is it personal preference or gameplay/skill combo smoothness?

Well sword/ WH is a great set. Axe OH is more offensive but nice area denial.Its better paired with sword IMO because sword can make up for the missing mobility on axe OH.WH is somewhat ranged so it can go well with Axe as a more midrange offensive set.Dagger us IMO best paired with sword. The evade is more useful in close combat thus more sword heavy. The ranged attack is only really good to chase targets so it could go well with axe although sword is better IMO.

TLDR: id take sword/dagger and axe/WH.

This though is only if you want to have double MH/OH sets.Otherwise sw/WH and GS or LB.

InsaneQR.7412 mostly answered it. I would add that if you use Honed Axes, it is better to have Axe in both set (S/A and A/W).

At the end, it's a preference. S/W + A/A makes it more hybrid because both sets have melee and ranged skills. S/A + A/W gives a stronger melee and range (more well defined roles), but at the expense of having less flexibility. I prefer S/A + A/W for myself.

I also agree that S/D is a good set for evading/kiting around.

@Krispera.5087 said:InsaneQR.7412 mostly answered it. I would add that if you use Honed Axes, it is better to have Axe in both set (S/A and A/W).

At the end, it's a preference. S/W + A/A makes it more hybrid because both sets have melee and ranged skills. S/A + A/W gives a stronger melee and range (more well defined roles), but at the expense of having less flexibility. I prefer S/A + A/W for myself.

I also agree that S/D is a good set for evading/kiting around.

Yeah i see your point, i asked this because in pvp it's listed s/w and a/a or s/w and a/d, never the s/a and a/w variant, so must be a reason for that choice.

Like for example in guardians it's better use sword/shield and scepter/focus instead of scepter/shield and sword/focus, especially if you run the shield toughness trait, it's better having the extra toughness while on sword and melee range rather than with scepter.

@InsaneQR.7412 said:Well sword/ WH is a great set. Axe OH is more offensive but nice area denial.Its better paired with sword IMO because sword can make up for the missing mobility on axe OH.WH is somewhat ranged so it can go well with Axe as a more midrange offensive set.Dagger us IMO best paired with sword. The evade is more useful in close combat thus more sword heavy. The ranged attack is only really good to chase targets so it could go well with axe although sword is better IMO.

TLDR: id take sword/dagger and axe/WH.

This though is only if you want to have double MH/OH sets.Otherwise sw/WH and GS or LB.

Yeah i want it double because im currently running boonbeast even for roaming, so im.using sword/wa and axe/axe with great success, i didnt try to switch around the off hands to see how it feels yet.

@ChartFish.1308 said:@InsaneQR.7412 when you pair sword with OH dagger you notice a lot of people like to combo 3+4 together lol. I do it myself too though i try not to. I dont know why it happens!

Lul i do too.Maybe because it feels so freking satisfying. Wish they would be a chain on sword 3 and hornet sting on dagger OH.Would make the whole wombo combo even more fun^^

@ChartFish.1308 said:@InsaneQR.7412 when you pair sword with OH dagger you notice a lot of people like to combo 3+4 together lol. I do it myself too though i try not to. I dont know why it happens!

I think it's done to extend the evade frame and make people wasting skills, for example same as core s/d thief when he chain sword/dagger3 into withdraw or roll for initiative.

For example an enemy thief see you are using sword3 evade, he plans a steal at the end of the animation, but you chain it immediately with dagger4 (another evade frame) and he will fail the steal.

Archived