Helping to choose a class

PanDemonAeon.6412

Hello GW2 players,

I have little bit of a problem regarding which profession to play as main. I have been playing this game since it became F2P but I never reached the end game at all because of constant creating-deleting the character. I have tried talking to players on Discord and in-game. Did little bit of research of each class and I tried most of the classes so I pretty much know what are game mechanics but still I cant stick to one class at all (I think the maximum level I have ever reached in-game was around 50). I would love to if there are some sites, youtube channels and basically anything that will help me to gather enough information so I could stick to one character (ofc if the information about each class is up to date) because its getting little bit boring going through same areas all over again. Information for newbies could help a lot as well, how to play each class, how to progress in the game the right way, farming different types of currencies.

There are few question that I would like as much as possible from you all that will see this thread to answer because it will help a lot:

1)Which is smarter? Sticking to one character or alting with others?2)Having multiple characters with different crafting professions or to have one character and buy slots for crafting professions?3)Are classes here ping dependent? For example in most of the games for rogue classes its usually required to have lowest ping as possible but for casting low ping rule doesn't apply that much.4)How to prioritize what to do in the game? I know this is a sandbox game and by that I can do anything I will make progress in the game, but still in my opinion there should be some kind of path that I need to follow, so basically, when to events, when to world bosses, when to do hearts, when to focus on pvp (things like that)?5)What is the situation with Warrior, Guardian, Thief, Elementalist and Necromancer (regarding solo pvp and pve, how do they preform, how much they are needed)7)And personal opinion on classes that I mentioned above.

I hope you will all be able to help me with this and I hope I did not give you some kind of a homework to do but these information would help a lot regarding playing this.

Kind regards.

1) Having a main is easier, but also consider having other alts as well so that you can gather resources with them too, and maybe they'll come useful for storing more stuff (as a bank) or for having another backup class for game modes outside of your main2) I split my crafting professions between my characters. Having more than 2 on a character is a waste since you have to spend money to switch them every time3) Not really. If you search my post history, I'm probably one of the people who complains a lot about ping. I do fine in all game modes, despite having 300+ ping. When it comes to sPvP, I'm currently in plat playing faceroll necro. So for pve, anything is fine. If you want to do well against other players, then you'll have to compromise and either choose builds that aren't reliant on ping, or pick what you like at the expense of being sub optimal (others will always have a second ahead of you to burst you down quickly).4) Take your time and get to level 80 first and then learn your character. From there I'd personally either try WvW in a zerg or start fractals.5) Warrior: Good in all game modes. Easy to play and very tanky. If you are good with it, it's also a beast. Meta in raids and fractals.Guard: Core guard is only good in sPvp and WvW roaming around solo. It's very difficult to use, but if you're really good, it can 1v3 people. Not very good in raids and fractals imo.Thief: Core thief is like core guard, only good in sPvP and WvW. Outside of that it sucks compared to Daredevil or Deadeye. Not very good in raids and fractals imo.Elementalist: Not sure, but its definitely weaker than Tempest and Weaver in all game modes. Maybe its possible to play some niche Core ele roaming in WvW but again, its very difficult like core Guard and Thief. Not very good in raids and fractals imo.Necro: Good mainly for sPvp and WvW. You could probably reach Gold in sPvp with core necro if you're lucky. Its probably more better in WvW, and you can tag a lot of enemies there. Useless in raids and fractals imo.6) If you want a faceroll character you can play in ANY mode, and if you can't be bothered learning multiple classes, then Warrior is the best one. You can go Banner slave core warrior for fractals and raids. It takes a bit more effort using warrior in WvW and sPvP since its more of a roaming class, but if executed properly you can do very well. If you want easy loot and have some fun contributing in WvW zergs, have a secondary necro character. You can also use this character in sPvp to get to gold if you want.

Ideally getting the expansion packs will allow more options and classes that are more effective and easier.

@PanDemonAeon.6412 said:

Hello GW2 players,

I have little bit of a problem regarding which profession to play as main. I have been playing this game since it became F2P but I never reached the end game at all because of constant creating-deleting the character. I have tried talking to players on Discord and in-game. Did little bit of research of each class and I tried most of the classes so I pretty much know what are game mechanics but still I cant stick to one class at all (I think the maximum level I have ever reached in-game was around 50). I would love to if there are some sites, youtube channels and basically anything that will help me to gather enough information so I could stick to one character (ofc if the information about each class is up to date) because its getting little bit boring going through same areas all over again. Information for newbies could help a lot as well, how to play each class, how to progress in the game the right way, farming different types of currencies.

There are few question that I would like as much as possible from you all that will see this thread to answer because it will help a lot:

1)Which is smarter? Sticking to one character or alting with others?For starting out, focus on 1character. You'll easily get tomes, cash, and gear from that character to level up alts later on2)Having multiple characters with different crafting professions or to have one character and buy slots for crafting professions?I'd say multiple so you don't have to keep paying to swap3)Are classes here ping dependent? For example in most of the games for rogue classes its usually required to have lowest ping as possible but for casting low ping rule doesn't apply that much.For open world, no. Pvp/wvw, I'd say all of them are as you need to dodge alot more. Same goes for t4s and raids.4)How to prioritize what to do in the game? I know this is a sandbox game and by that I can do anything I will make progress in the game, but still in my opinion there should be some kind of path that I need to follow, so basically, when to events, when to world bosses, when to do hearts, when to focus on pvp (things like that)?Type /wiki et ingame to see event timers. Also, I suggest picking an endgame and building the appropriate gear. Then look for the look you want to have.5)What is the situation with Warrior, Guardian, Thief, Elementalist and Necromancer (regarding solo pvp and pve, how do they preform, how much they are needed)For open world, anything works. With that said;

War, for pvp/wvw, was recently nerfed, still need the dust to settle. Nerf didn't affect in in pve though, still the banner slave of organized groups.

Guardi firebrand is the pillar of wvw zergs. If you don't have enough of them to support your scourges, your squad just dies. It's also decent as a roamer with core/dh. For pvp, its' deadly when paired with necro in pvp, otherwise an annoying bunker as fb and cheese 1shot as dh/core.

Necro is still hug babysitter or die. Recent buffs to reaper allows you to 1 shot unaware people, but it's harder now because of a more recent nerf. Scourge is relegated to downed rezing and barrier spam with a hint of boon corrupt. Honestly, if necros didn't have boon corrupt, I'm not sure anyone would take it in pvp/wvw.

Ele is not in a good spot in pvp. It requires alot of skill and awareness to achieve thesame results as de, mes, and holo. That said, a good ele is dangerous and nearly unkillable.

1)Which is smarter? Sticking to one character or alting with others?

Depends on your goal or objective. If you are more interested in mastering a profession as fast as you can than sticking to one is ideal. If you enjoy variety in play then having alts is a good idea.

2)Having multiple characters with different crafting professions or to have one character and buy slots for crafting professions?

Multiple characters is more cost effective.

3)Are classes here ping dependent? For example in most of the games for rogue classes its usually required to have lowest ping as possible but for casting low ping rule doesn't apply that much.

Not that I've noticed.

4)How to prioritize what to do in the game? I know this is a sandbox game and by that I can do anything I will make progress in the game, but still in my opinion there should be some kind of path that I need to follow, so basically, when to events, when to world bosses, when to do hearts, when to focus on pvp (things like that)?

Can't decide that for you. You have to decide what you want out of your play. Do you want to follow the story? Do you just want to do PvP and WvW? Do you want to unlock achievements? What should be prioritized 100% comes down to what you are seeking to get out of the game and why you are playing. There really is no best path to follow. Just the best path for you.

5)What is the situation with Warrior, Guardian, Thief, Elementalist and Necromancer (regarding solo pvp and pve, how do they preform, how much they are needed)

Anything can do solo stuff rather well. Need is fairly subjective and can change based on who you ask. Since PvP is random, unless you come with a pre-made group, it's really hard to say what is needed. If you're good in your chosen profession then it really doesn't matter if it's needed or not.

7)And personal opinion on classes that I mentioned above.

Warrior is fairly solid. Guardian is also solid, more so if you are using Firebrand. Thief can be a little too strong in my opinion, more so if you are a Deadeye and can pick people off from distance and stealth. Necromancer is on the weak end of things. There are situations where it shines, such as Scrouge in zerg WvW play, but it has some troubles. Elementalist is fairly good in my book, so long as you know what you are doing. Honestly, you would get better answers if you went into each forum and asked such questions. A general thread like this is not going to get the kind of traffic needed to give you a more insightful answer than just going to the Necromancer forum and having a bunch of Necromancer players answering the question as opposed to random folks who happen to click this thread.

I would recommend the Revenant.

1.) The Revenant has two viable builds, so two characters is the most you will need. You could also roll an Engineer, if you feel you haven't had a fit of laughter in a while.

2.) Spread them out over each of your Revenants.

3.) Revenant has slow wind up time on skills so lag isn't an issue, especially since attacks that travel through The Mists have a habit of bending the space-time continuum anyway.

4.) Ask Shiro, he usually has a good answer on what to do. Try to avoid any and all advice that Mallyx gives you - the last time I listened to him I ended up setting my robes on fire.

5.) None of these are Revenants.

6.) This question seems to have vanished into The Mists, you will need to ask a Revenant to retrieve it for you.

7.) See answer to 5.

In conclusion, go Revenant.

1) For better or worse, due to the nature of the game, having alternative characters will be way more rewarding, and less costly that it appears to be.2) You can have every single one crafting discipline on 1 character, changing active to inactive costs 50 silver, which is not too much, you can spread them if you like.3) Some class setups that are re-active are rather ping dependent, such as mesmer (in general), thief (in general), spellbreaker (due to the F2) and so on.4) There is a small general rule of the thumb that you can follow by seeing how the game sections came to be. First and foremost finish the map completion on at least one toon, so you can run around and do your events etc. After that work your way to silverwastes to gather some materials and make some coin. Once you are done with those proceed to the expansion story in a linear form, and focus on your achievements and mastery points (number 1 priority being the auto loot for obvious reasons). In the mix throw some fractals (provided you can run a class that functions with the current way the game works) and you're pretty much set. Once you get comfortable you can spend some gold and convert it into gems to buy any episodes you haven't unlocked.5) Necromancer and Elementalist, if you take a look at their respective forums, are currently (28-10-2018) something to legitimately cry about. Warrior has a solid place everywhere, due to the nature of its unique buffs. Guardian according to some is somewhat under-performing in comparison, an all around solid choice none-the-less. Thief (as far as PvE content goes) is in a tremendously good place, PvP exactly where he was, WvW as a roamer is solid, in group content you might face a bit of salty comments.6) I've played every class you mentioned so this opinion is somewhat of a perspective rather than a specific PoV. Guardian is in a very solid position, and all around perfectly functional, I found it quite fluid. Necromancer seems a bit odd at times but all around I had great success in most content I tried to do, although it is plagued by what I mentioned above. Elementalist... is simply not the mage you are looking for, I have no other linguistic method of expressing it unfortunately...(cries in ele main, no, i dont care about numbers) Thief is the 1 class I never had to look up a guide for, super smooth, super fluid, and quite fun. Warrior has seen some up times and some downtimes, it lacks a little bit of the "come at me bruh" feel it used to have due to continues nerfs but, is still quite solid, overall a nice choice.

You have probably made your decision already.

But maybe i can help out a bit with the "classes":Warrior, Guardian, Thief, Elementalist and Necromancer

Warrior is great everywere. You feel "powerful" and durable most of the time even when leveling up. You are wanted everywere for offensive support (through banners in PvE, spellbreaker bubbles in WvW and for your durability/melee prowess in PvP). They are simple to get into, its not so much about "mastering" the profession itself since its relatively "simple" cough, but it opens up alot of time where you can focus on getting good on game mechanics and learning to fight others. Its a great starterclass and its amazing once mastered. You will mainly play a Powerbuild though.

Guardian is quite fun, but if you dislike "holy flames and blueish animations everywere" its not for you. Everything a guardian does looks relatively fancy. You got some teleports, some spins and bubbles but somehow it still feels somewhat "slow phased" and passive even during intensed situations. Guardians are one of few professions that can do everything and be viable. Healing, "tanking", dps, conditiondamage, support etc etc. One of your strongest "bursts" isnt even bound to you playing an elite spec. Everyone likes having a guardian around.

Thief is very timing and burst oriented. 99% of the time you play with 0 passive defenses. You cant stick around in melee, your playstyle is mainly "in and out dancing".It requires alot of you to beat good players in 1v1 except if you play some cheese permanent-stealth deadeye. You got the best DPS in game vs "small targets" and you are wanted everywere in PvE and in competitive PvP for your mobility (mind you... thieves needs to be GOOD in pvp to be viable).

Elementalists got the best PvE damage in game vs "large" targets. Probably best DPS/Burst in WvW zergs aswell but dies to a swift breeze. Elementalists got issues right now in PvP though, and i suggest you read their forum since it would take too much effort to summarize everything "wrong" with them right now.

Necromancer are gods of AoE damage in WvW and PvP. They need support though to be viable and are mainly wanted because of their abilities to corrupt boons.They got their place in PvE but its not rly that much wanted over anything else.

Warrior = Guts from berserker.Guardian = Prince Charming from Shrek with blue bubbles and flames.Thief = ehrm.. Ninja or something.Elementalist = AvatarNecromancer = Papa Nurgle

Archived