Mixing Halloween and Wintersday

cjsnoopy.5613

Hello everyone (small spoiler for new players)! First time posting so we'll see how it goes. My guild-mates (who are veterans to the game compared to me) and myself thoroughly enjoy the holidays of Halloween and Wintersday. A some of my guild-mates and other players in map chat have talked about the repetitiveness of these holidays. I cannot fully speak to it since school has kept me fairly busy. However, I offered an idea that received positive remarks so I want to open it up to the community. I have not done my research so feel free to scorn potential repetition, but has anyone considered clashing the two holidays? Perhaps for only one year, but a war between candy-corn elementals and overpowered toy dolls. Where snow is falling on tangled vines/pumpkins and toy spiders are crawling/hopping out of open present boxes. This idea mirrors The Nightmare Before Christmas to be honest but I think the team could make an interesting development between the two. (Spoiler here:) With Joko dead, who will the Mad King wage war with? My final point is from a NPC a year or two ago saying the Mad King has grown in power, invading Tyria for three weeks compared to one. I'll offer my idea for how this can come to fruition. At the end of a shorter Halloween event (only one week, saving time for two more), there can be a few pumpkins lying around Tyria. I would assume a few being in Divinity's Reach. These mysterious pumpkins will activate at some point during Wintersday, making up for the missing two weeks of Halloween. The mysterious pumpkins serve as a portal (or door) to the Mad King's realm. This creates the opening for a war between Tixx and the Mad King. If you need an explanation for how the pumpkins work, perhaps the Mad King kidnapped a specialized team of Asuran chronomancers who were forced to engineer a set of doors that could open even when the realms are not aligned. I say chronomancers since I though the Mad King can only invade during a certain time of the year. Somehow manipulating that time forward is what I am picturing (but that is my shot in the dark for the laws of Tyria's space-time continuum).

I worry this idea might be obvious/unimaginative, but it seems these two holidays are kept separate in most people's minds so it's possible to offer it up as a surprise to the general community. Pardon any spelling/grammar mistakes and I hope you all enjoy the idea!

@cjsnoopy.5613 said:Maybe I haven't gone to the right areas, but I never knew the two gods were at it during Wintersday.

That was the story during Guild Wars 1, and possibly is still what humans believe about Wintersday/winter. But since GW1 the idea of celebrating Wintersday has caught on with other races who don't share their beliefs, so what we see in GW2 is a much more secular version more focused on cheering everyone up during the dreary winter days than genuinely believing they have to help Dwayna spread light and joy or the spring will never come.

Well... part of the point of the holiday events is that the devs can get a break too, which is why they are mostly copypaste and repetetive. I can understand wanting some more new stuff for both events, not like I wouldn't like it too. But I get why it is as it is and am fine with it. Either way I think I prefer the events seperate.

@Dante.1763 said:

@starhunter.6015 said:Well Mad King is at war with Joko already, as for Wintersday it is a showdown between Dwyana and Grenth.

was
at war with Joko!

I wish the Dwayna and Grenth war got played up a bit more though.

The war between Dwayna and Grenth is over though. With the gods having left for good, wintersday remains purely as a holiday for making presents and gifting snowmen.

@BunjiKugashira.9754 said:

@"starhunter.6015" said:Well Mad King is at war with Joko already, as for Wintersday it is a showdown between Dwyana and Grenth.

was
at war with Joko!

The war between Dwayna and Grenth is over though. With the gods having left for good, wintersday remains purely as a holiday for making presents and gifting snowmen.

Is it though? we dont really know whats going on with the gods aside from them leaving, and it wouldnt really make sense to stop doing something thats been done as part of the holiday for the past who knows how many years just because they left this year. Itd be like if we suddenly decided that "Well, Christmas is really a pagan holiday so we are gonna stop doing the religion part of it" could it have? yes, but it makes no sense to.

@Dante.1763 said:

@"starhunter.6015" said:Well Mad King is at war with Joko already, as for Wintersday it is a showdown between Dwyana and Grenth.

was
at war with Joko!

Is it though? we dont really know whats going on with the gods aside from them leaving, and it wouldnt really make sense to stop doing something thats been done as part of the holiday for the past who knows how many years just because they left this year. Itd be like if we suddenly decided that "Well, Christmas is really a pagan holiday so we are gonna stop doing the religion part of it" could it have? yes, but it makes no sense to.

When both players leave the board, you don't call that chess anymore. Both Grenth and Dwayna no longer have any influence on Tyria. Their war to determine when spring arrives can no longer exist because neither of them is in any position to send fighters. A war simply cannot exist without anyone to wage it.

The fest continues to exist, yes. However it has changed its meaning. Just like Christmas changed its meaning from celebrating the winter solstice to celebrating the birth of jesus christ.

By the way: The war between Grenth and Dwayna never existed in GW2 and is purely a GW1 thing. The gods stopped meddeling in mortal affairs before the GW2 timeline. So this year's festival won't change from previous years.

Archived