Will Mace See a Revamp?

crewthief.8649

I'm currently in the process of crafting Eureka (I think it looks awesome, particularly on Warrior), and was wondering whether you all feel main-hand mace will receive a revamp/improvement. With that, what do you feel would improve its performance (in terms of PvP/WvW effectiveness)? Perhaps increasing the range on Skull Crack? I enjoy its playstyle, and think its lockdown ability offers intriguing build options if it were to receive a few tweaks here or there.

EDIT - Apologies for re-posting a topic that seems more-or-less related to another post just below. I figure it can't hurt, and if nothing else, it could help to elevate mace issues into the spotlight.

@Spartacus.3192 said:I love playing mace in fact ive been playing mace shield GS spellbreaker for quite some time. I think increased range of skull crack and potentially slightly faster cast time would be great. Otherwise i am quite happy playing it.

Yeah, I read your commentary on the other post regarding mace. I've also enjoyed playing it in the past, but feel it could use a tweak here or there.

@crewthief.8649 said:

@Spartacus.3192 said:I love playing mace in fact ive been playing mace shield GS spellbreaker for quite some time. I think increased range of skull crack and potentially slightly faster cast time would be great. Otherwise i am quite happy playing it.

Yeah, I read your commentary on the other post regarding mace. I've also enjoyed playing it in the past, but feel it could use a tweak here or there.

I have MOOT and love smacking people over the head with a flashy disco ball. Eureka is awesome looking too.

@Spartacus.3192 said:

I have MOOT and love smacking people over the head with a flashy disco ball. Eureka is awesome looking too.

Agreed! You think a range increase on Skull Crack would be a good start?

@crewthief.8649 said:

Well they could only justify a larger range if they made it a leap like dagger breaching strike which is a 450 leap finisher. I think making it a 300 range leap where you jump in the air and smash the mace on someone's head would be a good start and not make it OP. As it currently is only 130 range the only way i can land skull crack is if i CC the target first because only a little movement by the enemy gets them out of range.

@Spartacus.3192 said:

Well they could only justify a larger range if they made it a leap like dagger breaching strike which is a 450 leap finisher. I think making it a 300 range leap where you jump in the air and smash the mace on someone's head would be a good start and not make it OP. As it currently is only 130 range the only way i can land skull crack is if i CC the target first because only a little movement by the enemy gets them out of range.

Yeah, that's been my experience as well. I think 300 is reasonable and would improve it quite a lot. I don't think any Warrior burst skills should be so difficult to land (as a lot of Warrior mechanics rely on landing the burst skill).

@Spartacus.3192 said:Dagger Breaching strike is SOOOOO much stronger than skull crack in terms of utility. Breaching strike is 450 range, leap, removes boons AND is UNBLOCKABLE. Even if skull crack was given 300 range it would still be blockable. So not an unreasonable request.True. It makes you wonder, why such disparity among weapons? Perhaps it's the CC nature of Skull Crack (unfun to play against, etc...)?

For WvW it needs a leap. There's no way I'm bringing mace mainhand over hammer, the blast + 5 targets + stun is just too good in comparison combined with 600 range.

Not really sure if anyone would use it on berserker but skull grinder has condis, adding some long bleeding that is low stacks to the mace Pommel Bash would make it better for hybrids.

@Infusion.7149 said:For WvW it needs a leap. There's no way I'm bringing mace mainhand over hammer, the blast + 5 targets + stun is just too good in comparison combined with 600 range.

Not really sure if anyone would use it on berserker but skull grinder has condis, adding some long bleeding that is low stacks to the mace Pommel Bash would make it better for hybrids.

For sure,also hamm being full aoe cc while mace is merely single target which makes it quite Meh aswell.Hamm damage is quite off the charts aswell compared to mace.Last time i had fun with mace was still around Hot times on condi berserk.

Give the burst a leap, its reasonable since it waay too hard to land nowadays with everyone just jumping around and less rewarding than prehot to land it, because everyone has a kittenload of stunbreaks. Change the hit of the block, that thing rarely hits anything, make it like thiefs bandits defense or rangers gs block.Lastly maybe increase the autohit speed, its so slow that you will never get to through the chain because you will have better spells off cd while trying to finish that chain

@Infusion.7149 said:For WvW it needs a leap. There's no way I'm bringing mace mainhand over hammer, the blast + 5 targets + stun is just too good in comparison combined with 600 range.

Mace/shield + longbow was the meta Berserker condi build shortly after HoT release.

@RedShark.9548 said:Give the burst a leap, its reasonable since it waay too hard to land nowadays with everyone just jumping around and less rewarding than prehot to land it, because everyone has a kittenload of stunbreaks. Change the hit of the block, that thing rarely hits anything, make it like thiefs bandits defense or rangers gs block.Lastly maybe increase the autohit speed, its so slow that you will never get to through the chain because you will have better spells off cd while trying to finish that chain

I was messing around with Berserker (mace mainhand) last night, and mechanically, Skull Grinder is so much better than Skull Crack, it isn't even funny. It will basically always hit your opponent unless they evade. Contrast that to Skull Crack, where there's a very good chance it will miss (if they aren't CC'd), if they simply step to one side or the other. In order to hit Skull Crack reliably in PvP, you have to CC your opponent first, which doesn't really make sense since Skull Crack's defining attribute is a CC. Minus a leap, at the very least (given how difficult it is to land) Skull Crack should get a damage increase. I love your suggestion on Mace 2, that would improve the skill so much. Mace 3, while a bit boring, I can live with because it would be in a better place if Skull Crack, auto-attack, and mace 2 were improved.

Mace has a lot of potential (locking opponents down in team fights), it just needs a bit of a boost.

Skull Crack should disable ANY and ALL movement skills with an improved version of Stun. Mace needs to be the true lockdown combo weapon in warriors kit, and adding a movement skill disable (you can still use literally any shadowstep or blink while stunned even without a stun break on all other stuns btw). This would include any of the stun breaks that are also mobility skills, to force people to run the alternative ones (or make sure you dodge it, it is soooooo slow).

Mobility Stun Breaks Include:Lightning ReflexesBlinkShadowstepJudges InterventionRiposting Shadows

And more.

@Kiroshima.8497 said:Skull Crack should disable ANY and ALL movement skills with an improved version of Stun. Mace needs to be the true lockdown combo weapon in warriors kit, and adding a movement skill disable (you can still use literally any shadowstep or blink while stunned even without a stun break on all other stuns btw). This would include any of the stun breaks that are also mobility skills, to force people to run the alternative ones (or make sure you dodge it, it is soooooo slow).

Mobility Stun Breaks Include:Lightning ReflexesBlinkShadowstepJudges InterventionRiposting Shadows

And more.

Interesting idea. I was thinking, what if mace 2 blocked on initial activation and flipped over on hit (similar to Bandit's Defense, suggested by @RedShark.9548 ) to Pommel Bash (with roughly the damage on counter atm). That would allow a new skill on 3 (would love some sort of mobility skill, but probably wouldn't happen). I think a change along those lines would make mace a bit more enjoyable to play and promote more skillful timing of the block, and would potentially punish players attacking into it. At the moment, the attack rarely hits. All of these observations/experiences are related to PvP, of course.

Archived