Market for Medallions

I've noticed that there is an incredibly active market for medallions. The prices for buy and sell are nearly always a copper apart. And, there are always hundreds being bought at that price.

But, I can't figure out what they're being used for. What do people do with all those things?

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:Nah, Medallions have a solid market as well. Mostly they're MFed I expect.

Yes. There's a tiny chance that you can get an Amalgamated Gemstone and you have a 20% chance that they'll upgrade to a Crest or Orb-level gemstone, which have their own market since they directly convert to AmGems.

If you choose your buy offers and sell listings carefully, it's a tiny, steady profit, almost risk free (just tedious).

@"MikeG.6389" said:I might be wrong but I have a feeling that you meant Crests. Have a quick look through here. These things are used in the recipes on this page.

No, I definitely mean medallions. The brown ones with a yellowish symbol in the middle. Medallion of the Rabid right now has a buy price of 2s 88c and a sell price of 2s 89c. There are 4405 offers at 2.88 and 447 offers at 2.89. Refresh (in the time I took to write this paragraph, maybe 15-30 seconds) shows 17 bought and 2 more offered for sale.

Mystic Forging them might explain it. Amalgamated Gemstones are over a gold each.

What really interested me the most is that the buyers frequently skip to one copper below the sell price, and they buy thousands at a time. The aforementioned Rabid has another 500+ at one copper lower, and then it drops a whole silver and change. I think some people are still fooled by the reversal of the terms "buyer" and "seller" for the columns.

I just did a test with a dozen sets, and the wiki's percentages are pretty accurate. I got 8 tier 5 items and 4 tier 6.

However, the wiki doesn't mention the chance of getting an amalgamated gemstone. Is that an error (on the wiki)? (I didn't either, but in only a dozen tests, that's not surprising.)

@"Daddicus.6128" said:I just did a test with a dozen sets, and the wiki's percentages are pretty accurate. I got 8 tier 5 items and 4 tier 6.

However, the wiki doesn't mention the chance of getting an amalgamated gemstone. Is that an error (on the wiki)? (I didn't either, but in only a dozen tests, that's not surprising.)

It's not an "error;" there's just no place to mention it, since it's one of those once-in-a-blue-moon situations. It's on the talk pages

tl;dr The drop rate was around ~3%.

Gory details:

• Researcher bought 8000 crystals (which work the same as medallions for our purposes).
  • Any T5 drops were reforged; T6 drops were forged into AmGems (requiring purchase of crystalline dust)
  • Total of 2500 forges (2000+extra rolls, per previous bullet)
  • Entire process took them nearly four hours (not including breaks to stretch their fingers, oil the mouse)
  • At 2016 prices, they made well over 40 gold an hour. (I'll add their data to my spreadsheet to come up with an estimate using 2019 market values, brb).
  • UPDATE: With 2019 prices, it looks as if it's closer to 11-12g/hour (mostly because AmGems are a gold cheaper than 3 years ago, with orbs correspondingly less, too)

Caution: before trying this at home, recognize that this requires the law of large numbers working for you. Unless you're extremely lucky, you really do need to invest 3-4 hours (more than 2k forges, more than 9k clicks) to make sure you're getting a steady stream of AmGems. Also, the initial investment for this sample is worth ~232 gold (interestingly, that's hardly changed since 2016, when it was ~229g).

Archived