How do I break into PvP, and learn to be good?

Fallesafe.5932

I've done nothing but PvE since I started this game 8 months ago. And I've hit a major plateau. I finished all of the fractals/achievements, got my ad-infinitum, etc. And the next step would be for me to learn about raiding. But my work-schedule is too irregular to join a raiding guild. And I don't want to approach raiding through pickup groups.

I'd really like to learn PvP. But it's a totally different game; and I don't know the first thing about it. Can anybody recommend some good guides and/or videos with solid instruction? I tried a couple of times to just jump in and give it a shot. But I got demolished. A lot of these dedicated PvPers are real pros. And I want to know what it takes to get on their level.

I'd appreciate if anyone could point me to any instructional material that would give me a good sense of the basic, thief PvP tactics.

For WvW as a thief you can either roam or provide support for a larger group by picking off people who fall behind (you can also help ensure people fall behind with basic venom and immobilizes).

Being good mechanically just requires practice. You can practice in WvW or in pvp or in guild hall arenas.

What you will need to learn is how to tell when an enemy is vulnerable, when you need to retreat and when you need to pull off (to wait for their defensive/offensive ability to finish and go on cooldown.

Also, if you haven't already, rebind your keys to be easier to reach. Thief pvp requires micro control of your character that benefits from non-default key binds.

Honestly i think WvW is too punishing for someone learning pvp. I can all too easily imagine you running across the map, getting creamed by the average wvwer, and having to respawn back in the corner. That's fine if that sounds like something you can handle, but my suggestion would be to jump into 5v5 and mess around. It'll feel much more rewarding and you'll learn a lot faster getting crushed in 5v5 than getting both crushed and set back set back in WvW. The trick is to keep playing until you get a game in which you can get carried by your team mates, which will give you a lot more room than the average game to learn and try different things. At the end of the day guild wars is a casual game and you'll be on par with the average unranked player within a few days.

However, remember that it is precisely because guild wars is casual that it is also quite unbalanced. If you find that you're still performing poorly after what feels like too long, try switching to a build that is easy to play, like pistol/pistol and try to figure out what classes are easy and hard to fight in what situation.

And don't double cap a free point!

Make a wells/staff necro and follow a pin for one night. Pay attention, keep your position, and watch what the thieves and rangers do. Pick up the language, e.g. "RBL=red border lands" and so on.

That's the best way to start, I think. Fight from the backline where you have to watch what's happening carefully, pay attention to the chat to see what people do and report, and so on.

-Jeff

I am absolute shit in WvW. I have been asking around on reddit and forums for a class where I will not be shit.

From the replies it has finally dawned on me that I am going to be shit no matter what class I play. Here is what FogLeg.9354 told be in another thread and I feel it's 100% correct now.

@FogLeg.9354 said:But... the solo (or small group) play in WvW is very-very difficult these days. It does not matter which class you play, your enemies have done this same thing for 5 years, every day, several hours. Not only have they best possible class, best build, best equipment, but they also have huge amount of experience killing new players very quickly. You have same chance to win as the guy who walks into boxing gym for first time and is thrown into ring against world champion.

It's just going to take a lot of practice. Many many months to be able to match their skill level. Maybe even longer.

WvW is a whole different ballgame and something you also need to gear for over time. Start with SPvP and just mess around a lot, you have very little to lose. Meta builds from places like Metabattle can be a good foundation while you learn what works in SPvP and what doesn't.

Archived