Naming Characters

I wish there were a way to check if a character name is an option on the last screen. If it would only ask, "Do you want to permanently name your character XXXXX?"

The name is the hardest part of character creation for me. I wish it were the first option, rather than go through the entire process and find out the "perfect name" for your future Charr Deadeye is already taken.

What you could do is skip to the end and see if the name is taken. Just name a random character that name. Then when you're ready to make the character, delete the character and make it.

Your account holds onto character names for 24 hours after the deletion of the character, so you would definitely have enough time to get in and get out of character creation and know you've got the name you want.

@"Seera.5916" said:What you could do is skip to the end and see if the name is taken. Just name a random character that name. Then when you're ready to make the character, delete the character and make it.

Your account holds onto character names for 24 hours after the deletion of the character, so you would definitely have enough time to get in and get out of character creation and know you've got the name you want.

I like this option but... being lazy, I go for door #2:Before creating the character, I whisper the name I intend to use to make sure it's available. If it is, you get an error message; if not, you almost always get a "the party to whom you are whispering ain't online."

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:I like this option but... being lazy, I go for door #2:Before creating the character, I whisper the name I intend to use to make sure it's available. If it is, you get an error message; if not, you almost always get a "the party to whom you are whispering ain't online."

Why whisper when you can simply add the name to your friends list? If it does not exist, you get a notification; if it does, the player name is added to the bottom of your friends list.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:I like this option but... being lazy, I go for door #2:Before creating the character, I whisper the name I intend to use to make sure it's available. If it is, you get an error message; if not, you almost always get a "the party to whom you are whispering ain't online."

Why whisper when you can simply add the name to your friends list?Because I don't want them on my friends list. Whispering can be done without the mouse; adding to friends list cannot. Because whispering is instant feedback without any further ado; adding to friends list increases maintenance.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Because I don't want them on my friends list. Whispering can be done without the mouse; adding to friends list cannot. Because whispering is instant feedback without any further ado; adding to friends list increases maintenance.

??? You remove them immediately with one click, no maintenance. Besides, whispering might result in a response, i.e. more work. ;)

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Because I don't want them on my friends list. Whispering can be done without the mouse; adding to friends list cannot. Because whispering is instant feedback without any further ado; adding to friends list increases maintenance.

??? You remove them immediately with one click, no maintenance. Besides, whispering might result in a response, i.e. more work. ;)If I whisper, I don't have to remove them in the first place. If I add them to the friends list, it's three actions: scroll to find the name, right click, select remove friend. Plus, as I mentioned, it almost never happens that someone is online. In the rare cases that they are, I usually have a fun conversation, which is the opposite of maintenance. In all the years I've been doing this in GW1 and GW2, I think I've maybe had 5 people be online, and 3 of those were during this game's first few months.

Tell you what: you stick to what works for you and I'll stick to what works for me. And anyone reading can decide for themselves.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:If I whisper, I don't have to remove them in the first place. If I add them to the friends list, it's three actions: scroll to find the name [...]

No, you don't have to scroll to find the name. If you keep the window open, the person is automatically added to the bottom of the list, as I mentioned before.

But have it your way. ;)