Appeal of the Russian-speaking community Guild Wars 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Appeal of the Russian-speaking community Guild Wars 2

noviiparen.8163noviiparen.8163 Member ✭✭
edited September 30, 2019 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Hello from Russia, My friends!

In this video, the Russian-speaking gaming community of Guild Wars 2 request ArenaNet to start supporting Cyrillic letters in the game. I know that these problems not only Russian players , but also many other countries. Unfortunately, I cannot be responsible for everyone, but I can be responsible for those with whom I play. Do not remain indifferent to our problem and support our appeal!

https://youtu.be/xX6EQSBJbkA

<1345678

Comments

• We demand an answer!

• Guild Wars 2 at his moment is the best and successful MMO in the market. As Russian speakers, we play GW2 since the beginning. We love GW2 and we support it. But we are truly suffering using in-game chat. Dear ANet, please, we need your support.

• AlexVv.3965AlexVv.3965 Member ✭✭✭

I fully support. I am a Russian-speaking player, I really love GW2, I know a little English. But unfortunately, it’s not so good, so that fully enjoy all aspects of the game. Much remains incomprehensible. It is difficult to communicate with their countrymen. The lack of localization is the reason that many Russian-speaking players either leave GW2 with time, or do not even start playing. But this is a lost profit for Anet, and considerable.
    At least the introduction of the Cyrillic alphabet would really solve many problems for our players.

• It is very bad that such a good project does not have a Cyrillic alphabet.
    no subtitles in history

• Please, start Cyrillic support!

• russian life matters

• Let's just all hope it works.

• What font does the Guild Wars 2 uses? It supports so many special symbols that other lunguages need. Isn’t it so difficult to add cyrillic symbols as well?

Ans yes, i'm writing this message using a google translator, from Russia with love :D

• You might find this thread enlightening (Dev responses): https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/307741/#Comment_307741
    I believe it references the same video.

Good luck.

• Please enter the Cyrillic alphabet !!! I can call my friends to play this beautiful game with me!

• My character tells me "Nice gear!" 50 times a day. How will it be in Russian? "Klassnaya ekipirovka" or "Классная экипировка!". Here is TWO identical letters (K and A). Why should we use the Latin alphabet?

• Russian create online at the time of day when you sleep) so if you decide to play at night you will not be bored!) Support our idea!

• Dear, ArenaNet!

Please enter the Cyrillic alphabet into the game!

• Dear Arena Net, please, start supportint of Cyrillic!

• I think we deserve to have a possibility write to our friends on native language.

• aspirine.6852aspirine.6852 Member ✭✭✭✭

I always heard that double byte characters are terrible to implement if you did not take care of it in the beginning.
    Hope you guys get your language supported.

• Mordayn.6198Mordayn.6198 Member ✭✭✭

A lot of games have issues with several languages because they use characters that the game doesn't support, some games are able to do this because they built the game to support those characters early on in the development. I guess the best workaround is coming up with a way to quick translate from cryllic to english and english to cryllic. I'd look into those types of avenues before i try to get Anet to build in functionality for something that would only be for a small subset of the player base this late in the game's life. As an aside, things like discord exist as a way to chat with friends outside of the game, that is probably the easiest way to make communication easier with non English players through Voip.

• Bloodstealer.5978Bloodstealer.5978 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2019

@WizarXD.9602 said:

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@WizarXD.9602 said:
    We demand an answer!

Pretty sure they have already answered this request previously.
    It likely does not offer a viable financial return on the time and costs associated to bringing this to fruition.

Could they utilise a some kind of 3rd party or player driven alternative, most likely , but that could risk opening a can of worms they just don't want to have to then jump in and sort out.

Does it suck - yeah I guess it does for those affected
    Does it make sense from a business perspective - Unfortunately yes it does also.

That's understandable. But sit on place and silenced, we, too, already not can. We do not ask for the translation of the whole game, we ask to add at least Cyrillic. At least in Guild Chat.

I hear ya, but it is what it is.. and likely to be even more unlikely to happen since loosing many faces at the company this past year , major reshuffling and a busy LS schedule to keep to following a fairly long dry spot across many facets of the game. Even just adding support for Cyrillic is likely a little more complicated than many of us realise.
    As I said it definitely sucks, but it just doesn't line up with current priorities I guess from a business perspective.

Life is what YOU make it... NOT what others tell you!

• Please hear us.

• Add Cyrillic please

• Hi!~
    I'm a player who speaks Russian.
    I don't need localization. I'm completely satisfied with the immersion in the game in English, but I would like to have the opportunity to write in Cyrillic. I want to be able to conveniently communicate with Russian-speaking players. I want to chat normally in my native language.
    But I have to write transliteration. For example, "hi" - "privet" or "how are U?" - "kak tvoi dela?". It's hard and uncomfortable.
    Please enter the Cyrillic alphabet into the game!

• Mordayn.6198Mordayn.6198 Member ✭✭✭

Use a chat program or voip outside of the game, very easy workaround. At this point in the game's life cycle it's way too late to integrate unsupported languages characters. The testing alone for it would be very intensive to make sure there aren't any unintended crashes or other oddities from the implementation. What you could consider is pushing for them to support it for the next game they produce. It's way easier to build that support for multiple languages when the game is being developed rather than adding it 7 years into the game's life.

• I completely support this appeal. Please add Cyrillic Character encoding to the Game.

• Highly support this! Please add cyrillic, let people to communicate in guild chat on their native language.

• I love GW2! I hope ArenaNet will see this post ! Dear Arena.net add Cyrillic please!!!

• Lauren.2968Lauren.2968 Member
    edited September 28, 2019

Transliteration in chat - its really pain for russian speaking players. Also, that point is the main reason why my friends dont want to play GW2.
    So i really hope ArenaNET stops completely ignoring others (en/fr/es/de) language groups. It means a lot for us.

• @noviiparen.8163 said:
    Hello from Russia, My friends!

In this video, the Russian-speaking gaming community of Guild Wars 2 request ArenaNet to start supporting Cyrillic letters in the game. I know that these problems not only Russian players , but also many other countries. Unfortunately, I cannot be responsible for everyone, but I can be responsible for those with whom I play. Do not remain indifferent to our problem and support our appeal!

https://youtu.be/xX6EQSBJbkA

Sanya, well done! Maybe they will still hear us! I live in Scotland and I speak Russian.

• Give us Cyrillic alphabet please, we want understand all beautiful story..

• yoni.7015yoni.7015 Member ✭✭✭

I think it would need to much money to translate the game into Russian and I don’t think there is really a need for it. Everyone should be able to understand English good enough to understand the game.

• Please add Cyrillic symbols :)

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:
    Not knowing coding, I can't imagine it to be that hard/costly to add support for an extra alphabet in chat, so I fully support!

Didn't GW1 support cyrillic letters?

Well its not only that, they will have to have support persons that read Cyrillic.
    Incase of people asking for help or reporting abuse, so yes it will cost more money if they add it.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.