Survivable Ranger build for PVE/Open World, need help please!

Satu Kuoleman Tuoja.5149

My alt character is a Ranger, the build I use is pretty old (haven't changed it in years). I started POF storyline and I feel the build is very squishy, not very survivable when I'm up against small mobs of 4-6. I have been looking at builds on metabattle and noticed that none of the options use armor with toughness, is there a reason for this? What builds do you guys run and find helpful for casual players? Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Ranger can get a decent bit of survivabiliy from it's weapons, utility skills and it's traits negating the need for toughness in a lot of cases.

One of my mains is a Core Ranger Longbow Glass Canon which i've run through all expansion and living world content with very little difficulty.

Longbow + tanking pet is one of Ranger's biggest strengths when it comes to survivability and Wilderness survival is a great traitline to help keep you alive too.

@Satu Kuoleman Tuoja.5149 said:My alt character is a Ranger, the build I use is pretty old (haven't changed it in years). I started POF storyline and I feel the build is very squishy, not very survivable when I'm up against small mobs of 4-6. I have been looking at builds on metabattle and noticed that none of the options use armor with toughness, is there a reason for this? What builds do you guys run and find helpful for casual players? Any help is appreciated, thank you!

@Trollocks.5084 and his video are the correct answer.Anyone telling you to run longbow has zero clue what they are talking about.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

Anyone telling you to run longbow has zero clue what they are talking about.

Longbow is perfectly workable in a hard-hitting open world build, especially for any marksmanship soulbeast that has room for Sic Em. It might be the only option for soloing certain champs with kiting, in fact.

As for the whole bearbow thing, I still think it's a terrible idea to run bears. They can't really tank anything that you shouldn't be able to avoid dying to by other means. It's much like toughness - the defensive benefits of the stat are outweighed by the offensive losses, usually. The few extra hits you're allowed to survive don't give you enough time to land the kills you need. So OP, that's your answer - for the vast majority of purposes, toughness takes away too much from offense compared to what little it gives you in defense. This is doubly true in PoF, where you're likely getting hit with a combination of knockbacks and conditions, which toughness will not help you with.