Miscellaneous Lore Discrepancies for Developer Review (Here Be Spoilers)

Athrenn.9468

Creating a thread for this so that I don't need to make a new one for each issue and hopefully it will make the Story team's life easier in keeping track of these discussions in one central thread.

1. Sanctum Librarian Dialogue vs. AMA Response

Dialogue from Sanctum Librarian in the Dark Library:Q: Where did the demons come from?A: Abaddon held this place for a long time before Kormir came. In her absence, his former minions have started to return.

Comment by Connie Griffith from the Story team:Actually, the forces that invade the library after Kormir's departure are not Abaddon's. The Mists are generally an unpredictable and dangerous place, so while the library was a safe and stable place in Kormir's presence, her departure made it vulnerable to invasion from other entities within the Mists.

Contributions are welcome! Please post your references and citations to keep things manageable.

Ayakuru, unfortunately you were spoiled for a story step thats with regards to thengriffon quest.

I had the same problem with that answer the devs gave (which someone gave to me after i pointed to the abaddon fact) but perhaps its just the idea that the librarians would assume its the vengeful minions of abaddon rather than a natural part of the gods leaving their domains, since we see something similar happen in the domain of the lost.

I think ive come across stuff before like that but im mostly wrong on inconsistencies.

@Emissary Vex.5690 said:The developer comment is more accurate. The aatxe and shades in the library are not from Abaddon's Realm of Torment but rather the underworld. In fact none of the monsters in the library represent the Realm of Torment.

Of course, that's probably because they don't have models for anything from the Realm of Torment, and weren't about to make them for one instance.

@Athrenn.9468 said:Creating a thread for this so that I don't need to make a new one for each issue and hopefully it will make the Story team's life easier in keeping track of these discussions in one central thread.

Dialogue from Sanctum Librarian in the Dark Library:Q: Where did the demons come from?A: Abaddon held this place for a long time before Kormir came. In her absence, his former minions have started to return.

Comment by Connie Griffith from the Story team:Actually, the forces that invade the library after Kormir's departure are not Abaddon's. The Mists are generally an unpredictable and dangerous place, so while the library was a safe and stable place in Kormir's presence, her departure made it vulnerable to invasion from other entities within the Mists.

Contributions are welcome! Please post your references and citations to keep things manageable.

I think there is a problem if Anet starts planting "lore" in the world that is purposefully wrong. We don't get enough lore as it is and people who like lore look for writings or comments from people who seem to be knowledgeable. The result of doing this kind of thing will be that people will cease to care about GW2 lore because they never know when their sources will be contradicted by the devs, or the devs will retcon.

@Djinn.9245 said:

@Athrenn.9468 said:Creating a thread for this so that I don't need to make a new one for each issue and hopefully it will make the Story team's life easier in keeping track of these discussions in one central thread.

Q: Where did the demons come from?A: Abaddon held this place for a long time before Kormir came. In her absence, his former minions have started to return.

Actually, the forces that invade the library after Kormir's departure are not Abaddon's. The Mists are generally an unpredictable and dangerous place, so while the library was a safe and stable place in Kormir's presence, her departure made it vulnerable to invasion from other entities within the Mists.

I think there is a problem if Anet starts planting "lore" in the world that is purposefully wrong. We don't get enough lore as it is and people who like lore look for writings or comments from people who seem to be knowledgeable. The result of doing this kind of thing will be that people will cease to care about GW2 lore because they never know when their sources will be contradicted by the devs, or the devs will retcon.

I agree, and I hope that the writers take this into consideration if/when they read this thread but my primary goal is to present the facts here without bias and let the developers decided how to use this information. (If they do.)

Please see this

@Djinn.9245 said:I think there is a problem if Anet starts planting "lore" in the world that is purposefully wrong. We don't get enough lore as it is and people who like lore look for writings or comments from people who seem to be knowledgeable. The result of doing this kind of thing will be that people will cease to care about GW2 lore because they never know when their sources will be contradicted by the devs, or the devs will retcon.

Unreliable narrator. ArenaNet has used this since the days of Prophecies. It's part of what makes GW lore so much more alive than other games. It's also one of the most enjoyed parts of lore for a handful of old vets that still remain.

Some examples of such in GW2:

Of course, these two examples - unlike the Sanctum Librarian - have a multitude of other sources in the game that are blatantly contradicting. Echoes of Ages Past and the actual game of Nightfall respectively being the most powerful such evidence. This is a case I would say is a "bad use of unreliable narrator". But it's not so horrid as we know these beings are generic Mists entities and not followers of Abaddon.

Archived