Elite Spec Concept: Lord(Jora)

Thornwolf.9721

So recently I was in a discussion and as I sat there re-buking jora as our next legend I began to really sit and think about it. Note I will say this, I don't believe A-net will ever touch the norn in a serious manner the saga is mostly charr and I doubt we will see a norn be a legend for the rev as it seems waaaaaay too many people are against it. (Want more human crap) But on the off chance we do get one, I believe its either her or asgeir (Maybe svanir, but Im doubtful as it seems they tend to go with heroes now rather than villains.)

For those of you who do not know jora, once so ever I will link both a video of her lore and story and the wiki. (You should know who she is by this point...)

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Jora

So lets begin the concept with all of this in mind shall we? Lets start with the name, which you might be asking "But why is it called lord when she is a woman yadda yadda!?" Well that is because her name is literally translated to lord from old norse dialect. So its what her name means, and I can't call her "Harbinger" because we have herald and calling her "Ursan" would not do the bear spirit justice. So why and how would jora work and what would give her a kit more akin to something interesting? Simple when jora redeemed herself at the end of eye of the north and regained the favor of bear, Id like to believe she became an aspect or even a embodiment of bear. This therefor means she could of been equal to a havroun or even perhaps was one of the first havroun's as we had never seen them in guild wars 1. Having her essentially become this would give her power beyond the normal warrior, she would be immensely strong and easily capable of toppling most foes.

Weapon: Main hand Axe (Easier to make three skills, don't wana throw another greatsword concept up there. Sorry guys.)Mechanic: Aspect of BearCombat style: A bruiser, frontline heavily sustained spec meant for boxing and CCing enemies.

Weapon-skill #1: Strike of bear===> Bite of Bear====> Primal smash. This combo is a wide AoE cleave Auto-attack chain with the claws of bear being the first swing coming from both sides, The bite is a lunge that can keep you on target and steals health on succesful strike. Primal smash is a CC which knocks the enemy down like a bear would when using its full weight, special animations could be claws, teeth and of course some sort of smashing animation of some sort..

Weapon Skill #2: RavageThis skill causes the Lord to swing in a four strike attack which swings its claws in every direction, in doing so you cause bleed damage and as well slow enemies with chill/bone breaking furry that causes them to be hindered in their advancing movement.

Weapon Skill # 1: Roar of the MistsErupt in a mighty roar that causes all enemies to becoming prone, this also applies vulnerability stacks and causes the enemy to again gain bleeds. The damage of the ability itself is 0 with good bleed coverage and is a hard cc and combo field. The field applies might when activated by allies.

Utilities: The way the utilities would work is that they have two forms. One for when you are the Aspect of bear and embody both Jora and Ursan together after a specific amount of time in combat, and one for when you're just using jora herself. Each one will be based around the character, Jora would be more warrior like while bear would be the mystical aspect of the spec and thus would give special benefits and harder hitting abilities. It increases your health, toughness and chosen damage type and is highly mobile with tons of different CC applications depending on your form.

Heal: Spirits Mendingwhile within the form embodying Jora, you call upon the spirits to aid in your plight. In doing so they heal you for a good chunk of your health and provide retaliation/protection while also offering you a unique buff which is "Growing rage" This will increase the likely-hood of gaining "Spirits Ire" Which is the added mechanic which dictates whether or not you will go into Ursans embodiment.

Heal #2 (Ursan State): Ursans BlessingCall upon the might of bear and provide yourself and everyone around you the Blessing of the mighty bear spirit, In doing so you cause all conditions to be consumed and for each one you have the healing is increased. While doing this you also provide yourself with Resistance and grant allies the same amount, this also causes you to have refreshed Ire and reduces the cooldown of Ursan state skills.

Utility #2: Call of ValorBring forth an ancestral horn of jora to invigorate allies and Disrupt enemies. Enemies caught within the horns radius will be stunned and then knocked up upon the final tune, allies will be provided with stability for the duration and at the end will be granted Resistance/Retaliation along with perhaps might. It does no damage due to it being a hard cc, this then means that it being a very powerful AoE cc is just fine.

Utility #2 (Ursan State): Rampaging RoarThe ability is a charging roar, much like bulls-rush it takes you to a targeted enemy however it has a longer distance traveled and has two functions. The first is to trample the enemy you're locked onto and smash into them with force causing them to take damage and suffer from immobilization. The second is that at the end of the skill it will send all other allies of the target flying with a massive roar that applies chill, the punt being comparable to guardian hammer 5 but on an AoE scale. That part will do no damage but is meant to break up clumps and force engagements, so use it carefully as it is a set-up skill for your allies as well a way to protect them should they be getting bogged down.

Utility#3: To the DeathFunctions like endure pain, but offers allies protection in an area around the Lord. Also grants swiftness. The other side of this is if the chosen target of to the death dies, it will heal the lord to full health and refresh its F2-5 abilities.

Utility # 3 (Ursan State): Call of Ursanthe skill provides a massive dome of mist energy to encase the lord, granting protection from projectiles and turning them into healing for the group. Enemies while inside the dome will be granted debuffs and punished for their arrogance. The dome will continue once fired even if the Lord is CC'd.

Utility #4: Might of JoraCall upon Jora's impressive strength and push forward with Ire for your target. Upon successfully grabbing the target you call upon your inner rage to shoot up into the air and carry them with you, this then causes you to come back down with impressive force and deal significant damage regardless of protections. The damage will scale IF you take them down from a higher state, so for example if you were above fire keep and grabbed an enemy and then while using the skill aimed it off the cliff you would fire down and devastate them. Sounds OP but when you consider the wind-up, huge tell and ways around it Im sure it would be fine. Its cool, has a nice warriors dash them. I know some people would and will complain and call me an idiot, as always but I was running out of ideas for basic utilities for jora.

Utility #4 (Ursan State): Realm walkerJump into the spirit realm and teleport to an enemy, upon successfully teleportation you upper cut the enemy and send them flying in the direction you're aiming. Make sure to be aiming at your allies so they can take advantage of the mighty blow which will send your foe hurtling into their anxious blades.

Elite Skill: Blood washes BloodGo into a blood Frenzy increasing the damage done, and life-siphon off all the damage dealt for the time being. Gain serious damage amps and gain "Growing Rage" At an increased rate, If killed explode with the fire of your soul engulfing the enemy in serious damage given the Elite skill is active.

Elite Skill (Ursan state): Ire's CataclysmCall upon the power of bears very essence and lash out in every direction with a massive eruption of your Rage. The user will erupt causing massive devastating damage in a area around the caster; Allies will be granted Bears blessing and granted the effect of blood washes blood. While the Lord is exhausted and stuck in place panting as they regain themselves, the ability will send enemies flying and give them "Curse of Ire" Which makes them do less damage to the lord while the lord is incapacitated.

Not gonna go into details on the traitlines as this is long enough as is. Ill give a Gyst of what they should do.Top row of traits ===> Buffs Ursan form and the state of which those abilities are while in ursan state.Middle Row of traits ===>> All about stance dancing between the two, making it easier to jump between jora and ursan.Bottom row====> All about the Jora baby.

This would mean they really have to choose if they want all the utility with easier access, or for one to outshine the other and use the other as filler while waiting to go back into their chosen form.

Im also not gonna do the F2-5 abilities as I don't wana waste anymore time because I know this will be shot down. Feel free the leave criticism.

TL;DR My version of what Jora could be. Not gonna format or anything as Im not really in the mood to give this my 100%, feel free to add onto it or go over it. I just really don't like giving Ideas anymore, sorry guys.

Certainly very creative (if somewhat mode-limited to wvw) but as far as i'm concerned Jora is just a kinslayer who created a martyr whose followers embody the dark side of the Norn. I won't go into the feminisation of the Norn, sad times.

@Funky.4861 said:Certainly very creative (if somewhat mode-limited to wvw) but as far as i'm concerned Jora is just a kinslayer who created a martyr whose followers embody the dark side of the Norn. I won't go into the feminisation of the Norn, sad times.

Im well aware, I just hear a lot of people saying if we ever get a norn she is the only one who is worthy. I personally think Svanir or Asgeir would be far more potent as a story concept and legend for us to channel given how svanir is hated by the norn and asgeir is revered but known only for his singular deed.

Having never played gw1, i have no connection to any of the legends, and only slightly more knowledge of them.

Shiro is just some assassin who turned a sea into Jade by casting a spell, for whatever reasonJalis is some dwarf king with a jumping puzzle in a decrepit caveVentari is a friendly centaurMallyx is a stereotypical demonGlint i have the strongest connection to due to the expacs highlighting her roleKalla is just some female charr who might have led a warband or something

That's the height of emotion/care i have for the rev legends, so it doesn't surprise or concern me that there is no Norn legend, as i can't think of anything 'legendary' enough any Norn has done, except crybaby Braham who chipped Jormy's tooth and showed it could be killed, or Svanir whose death created the Sons of Svanir. Though to me, having Svanir as a legend would be akin to having Faolain, or some other racial antagonist. I haven't completed the Norn personal story (it's off-puttingly cliched and agenda-driven) so maybe there is some Norn lore exposition i'm missing out on, but in my opinion the Norn just aren't legendary enough as the beer-swilling braggarts the game portrays them as.

@Funky.4861 said:Having never played gw1, i have no connection to any of the legends, and only slightly more knowledge of them.

Shiro is just some assassin who turned a sea into Jade by casting a spell, for whatever reasonJalis is some dwarf king with a jumping puzzle in a decrepit caveVentari is a friendly centaurMallyx is a stereotypical demonGlint i have the strongest connection to due to the expacs highlighting her roleKalla is just some female charr who might have led a warband or something

That's the height of emotion/care i have for the rev legends, so it doesn't surprise or concern me that there is no Norn legend, as i can't think of anything 'legendary' enough any Norn has done, except crybaby Braham who chipped Jormy's tooth and showed it could be killed, or Svanir whose death created the Sons of Svanir. Though to me, having Svanir as a legend would be akin to having Faolain, or some other racial antagonist. I haven't completed the Norn personal story (it's off-puttingly cliched and agenda-driven) so maybe there is some Norn lore exposition i'm missing out on, but in my opinion the Norn just aren't legendary enough as the beer-swilling braggarts the game portrays them as.

And that's why Rev isn't a class for ya. It literally for gw1 vets that its target audience. Hence why Thornwolf puts so much time and effort into what he puts out. As much as I may disagree with him on mechanics the man puts in so time to build GOOD ideas. Its honestly sad when people like you come here and just say story isn't important as the rev class in the MOST lore driven in game. Jora , Asegir , Eir & Svanir are all legends that would be worth exploring and thats just off the top of my head.

@Funky.4861 said:Having never played gw1, i have no connection to any of the legends, and only slightly more knowledge of them.

Asgeir Dragonrender :

• Got blessed by the four Spirits of the Wild.
  • Killed Frostfang, Jormag's greatest champion.
  • Removed one of Jormag's tooth, that was exposed in Hoelbrak since then
  • Led the Norns away from Jormag to the south.
  • Created Hoelbrak
  • Is the grandfather of the current leader of Hoelbrak : Knut Whitebear

Now you know a bit more about him

@Hitomi Shadowleaf.5629 said:

And that's why Rev isn't a class for ya. It literally for gw1 vets that its target audience. Hence why Thornwolf puts so much time and effort into what he puts out. As much as I may disagree with him on mechanics the man puts in so time to build GOOD ideas. Its honestly sad when people like you come here and just say story isn't important as the rev class in the MOST lore driven in game. Jora , Asegir , Eir & Svanir are all legends that would be worth exploring and thats just off the top of my head.

You're the first person i've read who has said that revs are for gw1 vets. Sure, i don't mind if arenanet want to acknowledge and tie-in lore from that game into this as its successor, but it's very exclusionary to say that rev isn't for me because i didn't play gw1. I'm quite fond of my sylvari rev and now i'm glad that i don't have to wallow in nostalgia and 'what if's' because i'm not a lore-driven player. Now that you've shown me the lore-chains you're carrying around, i'm freed from that mental burden when i play rev and can enjoy the class as anet intend it for gw2. It's fine if you want to hark back to the past, but don't tell me i can't/shouldn't play rev because i'm not a lore-beetle.

• 2 weeks later...

@Funky.4861 said:Also, ty Kulvar. Now you've highlighted some of Asgeir's deeds i can get behind having him as a legend. I would prefer another villainous legend though :)

@Funky.4861 said:

You're the first person i've read who has said that revs are for gw1 vets. Sure, i don't mind if arenanet want to acknowledge and tie-in lore from that game into this as its successor, but it's very exclusionary to say that rev isn't for me because i didn't play gw1. I'm quite fond of my sylvari rev and now i'm glad that i don't have to wallow in nostalgia and 'what if's' because i'm not a lore-driven player. Now that you've shown me the lore-chains you're carrying around, i'm freed from that mental burden when i play rev and can enjoy the class as anet intend it for gw2. It's fine if you want to hark back to the past, but don't tell me i can't/shouldn't play rev because i'm not a lore-beetle.

I mean guild wars 2 wouldn't exist if not the for the first game but whatever. Lore is important to revenant as it is what they use as a basis to choose the legend, they wouldn't ever say choose... tybalt for example? He simply put isn't legendary despite how popular he is(For some reason) with the fan-base. Kalla is and was because she completely Revolutionized the charr as a people and put them in their current position by doing what she did (Especially the females..) Asgeir is more legendary honestly than ANY of the legends we currently have, including glint because his deeds were on a whole different scale. He fought a dragon champion of the highest caliber and won and then fought the damn dragon, dragging it to a negotiating table. None of these legends or the others professed to be legendary beings have come close to his display of might and deeds he had done for his people.

Jora also put ASIDE her pride and the acceptance of her people to help, and she even had to kill her own brother and deal with being cursed and cut off from the bear spirit which is a big deal for the norn..

Svanirs actions are still being felt today, as it stands due to it we have a whole death cult of dragon worshiping fanatics.

Honestly If they throw togo or any other bullshit character at me, ill probably not be interested as we have enough human drivvle in a class that is NOT human exclusive. Mallyx is tied to abbadon, fucking shiro is a human, glint helped the humans and primarily worked with them in GW1 and jalis was an buddy buddy with the humans more so than anyone else. Most if not ALL of the legends besides kalla are guild wars 1 characters, I personally would want Asgeir if we got another hero as we DON'T know him and that is why he would be a strong candidate because we are unfamiliar with him as a person. It would allow us to get to know him in some respect, and considering his mist echo appears in bjora's after you interact with the mist ripple in Asgeir's legacy its safe to assume he is on the dev's mind as a candidate.

If a villain I want svanir, because they could do something cool with him such as duality and madness..

Plus they could do so much with the Kit for either of them, from blessings to transformations... would be a hell of a ride.

@Hitomi Shadowleaf.5629 said:

This made me smile, thank you. Its nice to know Im not loathed entirely here, humbling that you think I put in good ideas. Thank you <3

You're entitled to your opinion, but don't condescend to me because my opinion is different.

I get it; you're a gw1 Norn fanboi who's identified a decent way the Norn can have some positive recognition. That's fine but it's quite the stretch to say he's more legendary than Glint. If anything, gw2 has done a poor job of creating a sense of connection and understanding of the legends if they mean so little to me as a player. I don't think I mind who we get as long they synergise well with the other traitlines.

@"Funky.4861" said:You're entitled to your opinion, but don't condescend to me because my opinion is different.

I get it; you're a gw1 Norn fanboi who's identified a decent way the Norn can have some positive recognition. That's fine but it's quite the stretch to say he's more legendary than Glint. If anything, gw2 has done a poor job of creating a sense of connection and understanding of the legends if they mean so little to me as a player. I don't think I mind who we get as long they synergise well with the other traitlines.

I mean you come into my thread basically like "Me no know noffin about no legend. Me no care even if class about legend, me new player and you like guild wars 1! Guild wars 1 bad, me no want." I mean if you're a fan of current lore I guess you're not much for deep stories, and I Can be as "Condescending" as I want in MY thread in reality I Was just trying to throw stuff out there. And legendary as glint? You mean the big dumb lizard who spouted off nonsesne and had everyone fight her battles because she was too lazy or stupid? Yea ok. Just another NPC who did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING and who was there in the begining to have us have a dragon, and originally was not gonna be tied to the elder dragons but this changed over time.

She really only set people on their path to become legendary, she herself in my view is not legendary as she did nothing on her own. Asgeir LEGIT killed an Elder dragon champion who was stronger than glint by miles. In a one v one, and look how many of us it takes to take down a shatterer or a claw of jormag/drakkar? Asgeir soloed one and THEN fought jormag and ripped a fang from his mouth. He then led his people down to hoelbrak and founded it and set up much of their current culture, he never appeared in guild wars 1 and is much like kalla. He happened between the games, which is exactly why I feel he is the most likely as they aren't limited by what the character was in guild wars 1 and are rather free to make him unique and different.

If they give us anything other than a norn this time around? Ill simply be disinterested. Im tired of human based garbo on all my classes and im tired of the legends we have (E-spec wise) we need some spice.

That's a really disappointing reply, though on the plus side you have a lucrative talent in channeling your inner ettin.

It's not your thread; you started a thread on a public forum highlighting your stance on revenant legends and positing why and who we should have as a Norn legend. You can be as condescending as you want but it reflects badly on you and by extension, your suggestion.

For the rest of your post you get hung-up on storytelling, seemingly unaware that authors generally have a plan for their characters and will use whatever plot devices necessary to engage the reader and take them on a vicarious experience through the story arc. Then you unironically say that it takes a lot of people to complete a meta-event in an mmo, I mean really?

In your final statement you're setting yourself up for failure by putting all your eggs in one basket; what if we get an asuran legend, or tengu? I'm more excited by the prospect of a new legend, regardless of who it is, rather than pinning my hopes and gambling my satisfaction on one character.

It looks like I've poked the bear...

@Funky.4861 said:That's a really disappointing reply, though on the plus side you have a lucrative talent in channeling your inner ettin.

It's not your thread; you started a thread on a public forum highlighting your stance on revenant legends and positing why and who we should have as a Norn legend. You can be as condescending as you want but it reflects badly on you and by extension, your suggestion.

For the rest of your post you get hung-up on storytelling, seemingly unaware that authors generally have a plan for their characters and will use whatever plot devices necessary to engage the reader and take them on a vicarious experience through the story arc. Then you unironically say that it takes a lot of people to complete a meta-event in an mmo, I mean really?

In your final statement you're setting yourself up for failure by putting all your eggs in one basket; what if we get an asuran legend, or tengu? I'm more excited by the prospect of a new legend, regardless of who it is, rather than pinning my hopes and gambling my satisfaction on one character.

It looks like I've poked the bear...

Then simply put I wont waste my time with that E-spec. Like unless the tengu are playable I dont want them being involved flaunting their beautiful model in my face, like just keep them outta the lime-light as much as possible considering we've had nothing to do with them. Asuran could be neat; But I feel like it would be too soon for them considering most of their legendary characters are self-centered and egotistical extremeists who really don't care for anyone or about anything other than their own stuff..

Asgeir would be more fitting as he cares about his people, and seeing you fight for others would be something he himself did. You could have it mean so much more because he would be there as a guiding force, the asura would likely complain the whole time and be a whiny little stink. Kalla had NOTHING to do with PoF at all and was there because the plot matched her core values, and glint was present in HoT because the sylvari were found to be dragon minions. And she herself was a free'd dragon minion much as the sylvari are. They fit narratively and so an Asuran for a canthan outing would make little sense as they themselves would not be fighting for a good cause but more for their own gain, and would fit much nicer into the eventual story surrounding the deep beneath tyria.

Asgeir could fit in because he is fighting to protect, save and liberate a people beset by corruption and madness in their government and in their way of life. Plus we have NO clue on if bubbles will be involved or not and if it is then perhaps this could be like a Frostfang fight 2.0 but with us embodying him. But I mean A-nets plots are normally not deep and can be guessed at fairly easily, so perhaps Im giving them too much credit. As for everything else you've said I really couldn't care less, public forum or not you have a right to voice your opinion and I have the right to call your opinion lacking and uneducated.

@phokus.8934 said:This is a no for me, dawg.

I merely did a concept for Jora because people kept trying to push that she is a more likely pick than Asgeir (Which I doubt) thought it would be fun to do one is all.