Dyes like Darkness?

Wisely.4819

The various Shadow dyes (Shadow Green, Shadow Blue, etc) will have some depth to them on some pieces of armor. On certain color slots on certain armor (I'm inclined to say armors that have etching and similar designs on them), they'll essentially dye part of the section black, and part of it whatever the other color is.

Now I can log in here's the colours I've found which I think show textures well:

• All the enamelled dyes
  • Blue Whale (purple)
  • Bloodstone Indigo (purple)
  • Bloodstone Dark Indigo (purple)
  • Eerie Purple
  • Deep Glacial Sky (blue)
  • Glacial Sky (blue)
  • Sand Shark (blue)
  • Lapis (blue)
  • Legend (blue)
  • Midnight Ice (blue)
  • Deep Glacial Teal (green)
  • Abyssal Forest (green) - very, very variable, looks pure black on some things, bright green on others or a mix of the two
  • Seraphim (yellow)
  • Golden Sheen (yellow)
  • Gold Fusion (yellow)
  • Harrowing Maroon (orange)
  • Searing (orange)
  • Molten (orange)
  • Infernal (red)
  • Ember Red
  • Bloody Red
  • Cinders (red)
  • Charred (red)
  • Flame (red)
  • Heirloom (red)
  • Bloodstone Dark Violet (red)
  • Ruin (brown)
  • Midnight Bronze (brown)
  • Vintage Silver (grey)
  • Darkness (grey)
  • Godless (grey)
  • Midnight Fire (grey)
  • Glossy Black (grey)

A lot depends on the material though, some dyes can look completely different depending on what they're applied to and that's even more extreme with the ones that show textures more clearly or have a two-tone effect. I try to remember a few of these and even if I don't want that colour I'll try them out on any new equipment just to see how the dye looks, so I know if it's worth looking for something in the right colour with a similar effect or just going for the best shade I can find. (Also some parts of armour or outfits really is flat and smooth with no texture to show.)

@Wisely.4819 said:I know I can preview them but sometimes while preview them I preview them on bad materials or bad outfits and I end up skipping it when it's actually a good dye. I don't have most blues in the game by virtue of this because I just always preview it on wrong stuff. I never knew Sand Shark had a gradient

If you have it the wedding outfit is good for this, especially on sylvari and norn females. (The wedding outfit changes completely based on the race of the character.)

@Danikat.8537 said:Now I can log in here's the colours I've found which I think show textures well:

• All the enamelled dyes
  • Blue Whale (purple)
  • Bloodstone Indigo (purple)
  • Bloodstone Dark Indigo (purple)
  • Eerie Purple
  • Deep Glacial Sky (blue)
  • Glacial Sky (blue)
  • Sand Shark (blue)
  • Lapis (blue)
  • Legend (blue)
  • Midnight Ice (blue)
  • Deep Glacial Teal (green)
  • Abyssal Forest (green) - very, very variable, looks pure black on some things, bright green on others or a mix of the two
  • Seraphim (yellow)
  • Golden Sheen (yellow)
  • Gold Fusion (yellow)
  • Harrowing Maroon (orange)
  • Searing (orange)
  • Molten (orange)
  • Infernal (red)
  • Ember Red
  • Bloody Red
  • Cinders (red)
  • Charred (red)
  • Flame (red)
  • Heirloom (red)
  • Bloodstone Dark Violet (red)
  • Ruin (brown)
  • Midnight Bronze (brown)
  • Vintage Silver (grey)
  • Darkness (grey)
  • Godless (grey)
  • Midnight Fire (grey)
  • Glossy Black (grey)

A lot depends on the material though, some dyes can look completely different depending on what they're applied to and that's even more extreme with the ones that show textures more clearly or have a two-tone effect. I try to remember a few of these and even if I don't want that colour I'll try them out on any new equipment just to see how the dye looks, so I know if it's worth looking for something in the right colour with a similar effect or just going for the best shade I can find. (Also some parts of armour or outfits really is flat and smooth with no texture to show.)

@Wisely.4819 said:I know I can preview them but sometimes while preview them I preview them on bad materials or bad outfits and I end up skipping it when it's actually a good dye. I don't have most blues in the game by virtue of this because I just always preview it on wrong stuff. I never knew Sand Shark had a gradient

If you have it the wedding outfit is good for this, especially on sylvari and norn females. (The wedding outfit changes completely based on the race of the character.)

Thank you so much for the list!! I will work through it tomorrow :D I do have the wedding dress. The Sylvari version has no metallic parts so I can't test stuff on it but I think the Norn one does? I can see how that could be gooooood

The sylvari version doesn't have metallic parts, but the flower dress can be either all one colour or have a gradient with lighter and darker areas, depending on the dye used. Different dyes can make it look a lot more detailed.

(I've often wished they had two dyes applied to the dress and let them run into each other, like some sylvari armour does, instead of using 2 dye slots for the flowers.)