Sick tired of the wolf's tears against ranger!

Arheundel.6451

@bigo.9037 said:

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:Kind of a Shroedinger's Ranger issue here. FWIW I play ranger and necro builds on the side. Yes, there are imbalances to how certain ranger builds can be built that definitely need to be reigned in. Yes, these builds get used to troll, and thus the forum QQ. Yes, it has to do with specific weapon skills, an elite skill, and/or a particular utility skill.

Or you can build something annoyingly tanky or slippery that has perma protection uptime, barrier, reduced condition damage, and multiple disengage skills while still having the option to pew pew from 1500 away after a weapon swap.

All that can be true and still have scenarios where you by your own admission and me by my own prior experience playing necro can somehow wreck a ranger even though necro is supposed to be weak to ranger. That is because there are a lot of bad players in WvW, and if you are even halfway decent you can mop them up on a class that is supposedly weak in the matchup. That does not mean there are not broken parts to Ranger and its E-Specs. The same can be said for a couple of classes during this meta.

But this also does not mean that there are parts of Ranger and its especs that aren't in need of buffing either. Its just another example of how the Feb2020 balance was utter garbage.

Don't you notice how things don't add up? If I can wreck rangers after only using necro for 60 hrs ( seriously I love this class now, everything click together beatifully, from core to scourge, amazing traitlines and easy to digest gameplay ) it means that some credit should be given to those who actually win while using ranger...like with every other class, this is what I am trying to get to with this thread, people who jump on ranger don't automatically become roaming gods and ofc I am not a roaming god but I do believe to be just a tad above average, enough to run multiple builds on multiple class even when slighty outnumbered.That also has a lot to do with the fact that you KNOW ranger and what to look out for, so you are able to play to its weaknesses better even on Necro, as well as Necro being fairly easy to pick up and play with. I am also not a roaming god, but you play often enough you start to see the combos as they play out, and if you play against the same person enough you know what they will do and you start to preemptively counter them. A lot of players don't change their build on the fly.The class is undeniably strong and like some other professions may require some nerfs more than buffs but it's by no mean the overlord hardcounter for necro, I have plenty of ways to cut that distance through dodge or sheer absorbtion of all RF burst with shroud ( soulreaping - Eternal Life and death or blood...I never run short of shroud ) and once I get on top of the ranger, 8 times out of 10 I win easyYou would be surprised how many rangers never notice Corrosive Poison Cloud. I'll drop it at their feet inside their camp
with RI
dash in with Reaper Shroud2, rip them apart, and stomp them before I ever get low on health from the Vet Supervisor hitting me. But in theory? Yes an average LB+GS Soulbeast should easily beat an average necro. That doesn't mean a good necro can't kill a good ranger.Against some good reapers , I had to kite for dear life while using ranger in order to win and most times I didn't even manage to win ( fought this death reaper, super tanky and with very high dmg still ) so yeah most of the times the complaints againt this class are overly exagerated even if warranted.See my original comment. There are individual things that need tuning down still, not just on ranger mind you, and it is possible for individual OP things to exist on a class while at the same time an individual player can have a tough match versus what is considered a class they should counter.

at decently high level play, everyone knows what to look out for, so knowing the class doesn’t really mean anything.. it’s all about the mind games and how you’re able to utilize combos and surprises your enemy wasn’t ready for. core necro can kill rangers. power scourges can kill rangers. reapers can.especially reapers with boon duration and commanders stats.

people also underestimate reaper as a duelist cus they are used to seeing it in a blob, and the blob players usually don’t know how to fight on their own. but you see a skilled necro player and they can be a serious challenge regardless of whether you know the class or not.

ranger used to be considered garbage, a noob class that only noobs ( who were bad ) player, with low skill ceiling. i remember not many years ago when necros would rush to 1v1 me cus all they heard about ranger was that it was trash so they thought i was free loot.

do i think ranger is OP? not really. it has a tad bit too much sustain from dolyaks stance and a nerf to that will probably be enough to put ranger in its rightful place as this settles the sustain aspect of ranger/soulbeast.the damage is much more complicated. on full zerk players i can 100-0 people from mounts if i pop OWP and sicem with just 1 rapidfire, but if someone has 2600 armor and high protection uptime.. my damage is like, 1/3. i think damage calculation in this game is the root cause of many problems because the difference is too high with the right setups.

That has to do more with certain 25% damage modifiers kicking in from several sources. It is rather feast or famine though, and yeah, someone with max toughness and protection will weather the combo. I really think Anet should have hit those modifiers (everywhere not just ranger) first in the Feb Balance patch and watched how it played out before reducing damage on EVERYTHING.

@bigo.9037 said:

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:Kind of a Shroedinger's Ranger issue here. FWIW I play ranger and necro builds on the side. Yes, there are imbalances to how certain ranger builds can be built that definitely need to be reigned in. Yes, these builds get used to troll, and thus the forum QQ. Yes, it has to do with specific weapon skills, an elite skill, and/or a particular utility skill.

Or you can build something annoyingly tanky or slippery that has perma protection uptime, barrier, reduced condition damage, and multiple disengage skills while still having the option to pew pew from 1500 away after a weapon swap.

All that can be true and still have scenarios where you by your own admission and me by my own prior experience playing necro can somehow wreck a ranger even though necro is supposed to be weak to ranger. That is because there are a lot of bad players in WvW, and if you are even halfway decent you can mop them up on a class that is supposedly weak in the matchup. That does not mean there are not broken parts to Ranger and its E-Specs. The same can be said for a couple of classes during this meta.

But this also does not mean that there are parts of Ranger and its especs that aren't in need of buffing either. Its just another example of how the Feb2020 balance was utter garbage.

Don't you notice how things don't add up? If I can wreck rangers after only using necro for 60 hrs ( seriously I love this class now, everything click together beatifully, from core to scourge, amazing traitlines and easy to digest gameplay ) it means that some credit should be given to those who actually win while using ranger...like with every other class, this is what I am trying to get to with this thread, people who jump on ranger don't automatically become roaming gods and ofc I am not a roaming god but I do believe to be just a tad above average, enough to run multiple builds on multiple class even when slighty outnumbered.That also has a lot to do with the fact that you KNOW ranger and what to look out for, so you are able to play to its weaknesses better even on Necro, as well as Necro being fairly easy to pick up and play with. I am also not a roaming god, but you play often enough you start to see the combos as they play out, and if you play against the same person enough you know what they will do and you start to preemptively counter them. A lot of players don't change their build on the fly.The class is undeniably strong and like some other professions may require some nerfs more than buffs but it's by no mean the overlord hardcounter for necro, I have plenty of ways to cut that distance through dodge or sheer absorbtion of all RF burst with shroud ( soulreaping - Eternal Life and death or blood...I never run short of shroud ) and once I get on top of the ranger, 8 times out of 10 I win easyYou would be surprised how many rangers never notice Corrosive Poison Cloud. I'll drop it at their feet inside their camp
with RI
dash in with Reaper Shroud2, rip them apart, and stomp them before I ever get low on health from the Vet Supervisor hitting me. But in theory? Yes an average LB+GS Soulbeast should easily beat an average necro. That doesn't mean a good necro can't kill a good ranger.Against some good reapers , I had to kite for dear life while using ranger in order to win and most times I didn't even manage to win ( fought this death reaper, super tanky and with very high dmg still ) so yeah most of the times the complaints againt this class are overly exagerated even if warranted.See my original comment. There are individual things that need tuning down still, not just on ranger mind you, and it is possible for individual OP things to exist on a class while at the same time an individual player can have a tough match versus what is considered a class they should counter.

at decently high level play, everyone knows what to look out for, so knowing the class doesn’t really mean anything.. it’s all about the mind games and how you’re able to utilize combos and surprises your enemy wasn’t ready for. core necro can kill rangers. power scourges can kill rangers. reapers can.especially reapers with boon duration and commanders stats.

people also underestimate reaper as a duelist cus they are used to seeing it in a blob, and the blob players usually don’t know how to fight on their own. but you see a skilled necro player and they can be a serious challenge regardless of whether you know the class or not.

ranger used to be considered garbage, a noob class that only noobs ( who were bad ) player, with low skill ceiling. i remember not many years ago when necros would rush to 1v1 me cus all they heard about ranger was that it was trash so they thought i was free loot.

do i think ranger is OP? not really. it has a tad bit too much sustain from dolyaks stance and a nerf to that will probably be enough to put ranger in its rightful place as this settles the sustain aspect of ranger/soulbeast.the damage is much more complicated. on full zerk players i can 100-0 people from mounts if i pop OWP and sicem with just 1 rapidfire, but if someone has 2600 armor and high protection uptime.. my damage is like, 1/3. i think damage calculation in this game is the root cause of many problems because the difference is too high with the right setups.

its called minstrel statsyou have fbs with 18k hp, 3,5k tougness ( about -40% damage taken ), ascended food ( -10% dmg taken ), protection ( -33% dmg taken )and all that is ~64% less damage taken.Fully decked out support warrior can run close to 3800 toughness btw, power damage legit cant touch it even when he afks

@Junkpile.7439 said:Ranger have 1500 range. Necro can't never even do damage against average or better ranger.

It is a little bit more than that with arcing.

Biggest mistake anyone can make is to stay away from a Ranger with a longbow, particularly those set up to do high burst damage at max range (don't forget there is a Ranger trait that does more damage the further the arrow flies).

Get closer.

As a Ranger main the biggest problems I have is with Condition builds who get in my face.