Anet can we use a controller?

I’m not sure if this would be considered technical support or not. If this is in the wrong area I apologize. I have read where you can connect gw2 to steam and program a controller to be able to play guild wars. I have seen where people have mapped the entire keyboard interface onto the controller. Another way to download a third party software called xpadder which allows you to map games to controllers. I really would love to do this but I do not know if it’s allowed or if I would be banned for it. Can you please let me know if I can do this or not?

ANet's never going to give a clear signal about something like this. Their policy for 3rd party software hasn't changed significantly in 10+ years:

• Use at your own risk. If the game breaks or you delete something while using 3rd party tools, don't expect support to come to the rescue.
  • Don't use it to break the rules.

For input device managers, as long as you stick to "one key|button press = one action," you'll be fine. You just won't get an official endorsement of doing so.

1: Yes you are allowed to use a controller.2: No, you will not get a clear signal from Arenanet, giving you the ok on the third party software.3: third party software, or the use of it, is not something you can get banned for. It is the things it does in the game that can. So do not breach the user agreement and the rules of conduct. The bottom line is that it should not give you an unfair advantage over other players. Arenanet has specified in somewhat related discussions, that ut should be one action on the device you use, should result in one action in the game. So having the controller set up in such away that when you click button A, you jump, it is fine.

I have used a controller with GW2 ever since I started 5 years ago, from Linux even, and I am still fine. :P

Since every gamer believes that keyboard + mouse is superior to any controller, there shouldn't be any issues... as long as you don't use the controller settings to set up macros.