• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@PadmaPhala.1824 said:Maybe Anet could open source that Coherent Host UI process?

It's not up to Arenanet to open source that process because it doesn't belong to them. Coherent UI is created by Coherent Labs and is used for the Trading Post interface.

Coherent Labs deprecated that dependancy and gave the source code to Anet... no idea if they also have a license to redistribute it.

@daath.1725 said:RIP I just upgraded my mac to Catalina and GW2 just would not work

&

@nova.5907 said:GW2 always ran remarkably well on my iMac. I too am already on Catalina.

Hope they can get someone to fix the 32bit dependencies and we can get back into the game when we want to kill some time.

So, just to be clear: GW2 is playable on current Mac OS 10.14 Mojave, but NOT on beta pre-release Mac OS 10.15 Calalina?And is this because of the 32-bit Coherent UI compatibility with 64-bit only Catalina? Or, could there be something else with changes in still beta Catalina?I am just wondering that if it's the latter, then when official release of Catalina this fall, GW2 would eventually run properly again, or not at all.

Deeper question is, should I get a new Mac now with Mojave, or later after Catalina is released and being pre-installed, in order to play GW2 on Mac?(Probably buy now than later, but just asking...)

HELLO UP THERE!!!

@DrMORO.4627 said:

@daath.1725 said:RIP I just upgraded my mac to Catalina and GW2 just would not work

&

@nova.5907 said:GW2 always ran remarkably well on my iMac. I too am already on Catalina.

Hope they can get someone to fix the 32bit dependencies and we can get back into the game when we want to kill some time.

So, just to be clear: GW2 is playable on current Mac OS 10.14 Mojave, but NOT on beta pre-release Mac OS 10.15 Calalina?And is this because of the 32-bit Coherent UI compatibility with 64-bit only Catalina? Or, could there be something else with changes in still beta Catalina?I am just wondering that if it's the latter, then when official release of Catalina this fall, GW2 would eventually run properly again, or not at all.

Deeper question is, should I get a new Mac now with Mojave, or later after Catalina is released and being pre-installed, in order to play GW2 on Mac?(Probably buy now than later, but just asking...)

HELLO UP THERE!!!

With Catalina, GW2 will not run at all on MacOS until Anet updates this Coherent UI process.

I suggest get a Mac with Mojave and ignore the Catalina update (until Anet makes a fully 64-bit GW2).

@DrMORO.4627 said:

&

HELLO UP THERE!!!

Yes running gw2 in catalina will straight up crash your mac

Yes, currently on the beta is crashes the system but not the entire computer. It basically makes it go from where you were to as if you just logged into your Mac. Might be related to the beta and how it handles encountering a 32bit app. Any other app that is 32bit will just show an alert it can't be launched but since GW2 is 64bit but loads the 32bit UI thing it seems to freak out Catalina.

Like others said the ball is in Arena's court.

@DrMORO.4627 I dont think you should hold off getting a Mac just because of GW2 not working on Catalina, also Catalina doesn't come out till September I think, so it wont ship with it installed (Mojave instead)

@"nova.5907" said:GW2 always ran remarkably well on my iMac. I too am already on Catalina.

The frustrating thing is this was billed as a "64 bit client". An application is not truly 64 bit if it has a 32 bit dependency.

FYI, just read this article about an Mac app that checks 64-bit compatibility of all Mac apps.

"Prepare for 64-Bit Mac Apps With Go64"

Obviously while also interestingly, Mac GW2 64-bit app is scanned as 'Yes' to 64-bit compatibility.However, we all here suspect the internals (Coherent UI) are partially still 32-bit, and definitely does NOT run on 64-but-only Mac OS Catalina beta which is expected to officially arrive this Fall 2019.

I downloaded the 64-bit many months ago because I was tired of crashing every 60 minutes or so, but when the game finally opened it was ridiculously lack-y, no possibility of inverted x-axis scrolling, and I could barely move my character because of the fps. I went back to the 32-bit client, but now I can't even open it, even though the app shows up in my Dock. Does anyone have any experience fixing this? Thank you!**My system is:Macbook Pro, 13 inchMacOS Mojave - Version 10.14.5Processor: 2,7 GHzMemory: 8 GBGraphic card: Intel Iris Graphics 6100

@"GalaxySpot.6524" said:I downloaded the 64-bit many months ago because I was tired of crashing every 60 minutes or so, but when the game finally opened it was ridiculously lack-y, no possibility of inverted x-axis scrolling, and I could barely move my character because of the fps. I went back to the 32-bit client, but now I can't even open it, even though the app shows up in my Dock. Does anyone have any experience fixing this? Thank you!**My system is:Macbook Pro, 13 inchMacOS Mojave - Version 10.14.5Processor: 2,7 GHzMemory: 8 GBGraphic card: Intel Iris Graphics 6100

Hi there!Unfortunately, the 32-bit GW2 app does NOT run anymore. It is dead, and is not supported anymore.For the 64-bit GW2 app, some are having it run on Mojave, although not at high-detail settings.I have it run on my 2011 i7 Mac mini with 10.11 El Capitan, having it run off an external SSD drive hooked up to my Mac mini via Thunderbolt 2 connection, and it runs 'playable' ok.I am suspecting that your MBP13 spec is just not enough to run the 64-bit at 'playable' level with your setup now.Running off an external SSD seems to have helped a few others here as well.

My better suggestion: Use NVIDIA GeForce NOW, which is sort of virtual streaming gaming machine, and it is FREE to play, at least for now as this is still in beta. I play at home using this on a 2011 MBP13 with 10.11 El Capitan, and if you have a fast enough network, definitely playable. Otherwise, it is barely playable on my MBP13 at home, even if I use my external SSD GW2 disk setup.NVIDIA GeForce NOW

Hope this helps!Good Luck!

HELLO? ANYONE UP THERE LISTENING?Mac GW2-ers desperately need your voice and directions, and NOW...

@"DrMORO.4627" said:FYI, just read this article about an Mac app that checks 64-bit compatibility of all Mac apps.

"Prepare for 64-Bit Mac Apps With Go64"

Obviously while also interestingly, Mac GW2 64-bit app is scanned as 'Yes' to 64-bit compatibility.However, we all here suspect the internals (Coherent UI) are partially still 32-bit, and definitely does NOT run on 64-but-only Mac OS Catalina beta which is expected to officially arrive this Fall 2019.

MacOS has enough tools to check for 64 bit compatibility.

1)If you are running GW2, open Activity Monitor. On the CPU tab click on "type" column (you may need to add this column).This will order apps in 32 and 64 bit. Coherent Host UI is 32 bit and it opens only when GW2 is open.

2)menubar > apple logo > about this Mac > System ReportIn Software > Applications, order apps in the "64 bit" column. "Yes" means that they are 64 bit....Software > Classic Software also shows 32 bit apps.

@DrMORO.4627 said:

@"GalaxySpot.6524" said:I downloaded the 64-bit many months ago because I was tired of crashing every 60 minutes or so, but when the game finally opened it was ridiculously lack-y, no possibility of inverted x-axis scrolling, and I could barely move my character because of the fps. I went back to the 32-bit client, but now I can't even open it, even though the app shows up in my Dock. Does anyone have any experience fixing this? Thank you!**My system is:Macbook Pro, 13 inchMacOS Mojave - Version 10.14.5Processor: 2,7 GHzMemory: 8 GBGraphic card: Intel Iris Graphics 6100

Hi there!Unfortunately, the 32-bit GW2 app does NOT run anymore. It is dead, and is not supported anymore.For the 64-bit GW2 app, some are having it run on Mojave, although not at high-detail settings.I have it run on my 2011 i7 Mac mini with 10.11 El Capitan, having it run off an external SSD drive hooked up to my Mac mini via Thunderbolt 2 connection, and it runs 'playable' ok.I am suspecting that your MBP13 spec is just not enough to run the 64-bit at 'playable' level with your setup now.Running off an external SSD seems to have helped a few others here as well.

My better suggestion: Use NVIDIA GeForce NOW, which is sort of virtual streaming gaming machine, and it is FREE to play, at least for now as this is still in beta. I play at home using this on a 2011 MBP13 with 10.11 El Capitan, and if you have a fast enough network, definitely playable. Otherwise, it is barely playable on my MBP13 at home, even if I use my external SSD GW2 disk setup.

HELLO? ANYONE UP THERE LISTENING?Mac GW2-ers desperately need your voice and directions, and NOW...

Thank you for your detailed answer, it's very kind of you! I will admit it sucks to hear that it requires such an effort, and is maybe even close to impossible, to play a game you have loved for so many years. Quite disheartening, but I'll definitely try your tips and read through the forums!It's so weird though, I was able to play on the 32-bit client just maybe 8 days ago. I am hesitant to delete the 32-bit client, on the off chance it might work again with the next patch because of some unseeable variant, haha.

@PadmaPhala.1824 said:

@DrMORO.4627 said:FYI, just read this article about an Mac app that checks 64-bit compatibility of all Mac apps.

"
"

1)If you are running GW2, open Activity Monitor. On the CPU tab click on "type" column (you may need to add this column).This will order apps in 32 and 64 bit. Coherent Host UI is 32 bit and it opens only when GW2 is open.

2)menubar > apple logo > about this Mac > System ReportIn Software > Applications, order apps in the "64 bit" column. "Yes" means that they are 64 bit....Software > Classic Software also shows 32 bit apps.

@GalaxySpot.6524 said:I downloaded the 64-bit many months ago because I was tired of crashing every 60 minutes or so, but when the game finally opened it was ridiculously lack-y, no possibility of inverted x-axis scrolling, and I could barely move my character because of the fps. I went back to the 32-bit client, but now I can't even open it, even though the app shows up in my Dock. Does anyone have any experience fixing this? Thank you!**My system is:Macbook Pro, 13 inchMacOS Mojave - Version 10.14.5Processor: 2,7 GHzMemory: 8 GBGraphic card: Intel Iris Graphics 6100

My better suggestion: Use NVIDIA GeForce NOW, which is sort of virtual streaming gaming machine, and it is FREE to play, at least for now as this is still in beta. I play at home using this on a 2011 MBP13 with 10.11 El Capitan, and if you have a fast enough network, definitely playable. Otherwise, it is barely playable on my MBP13 at home, even if I use my external SSD GW2 disk setup.

Thank you for your detailed answer, it's very kind of you! I will admit it sucks to hear that it requires such an effort, and is maybe even close to impossible, to play a game you have loved for so many years. Quite disheartening, but I'll definitely try your tips and read through the forums!It's so weird though, I was able to play on the 32-bit client just maybe 8 days ago. I am hesitant to delete the 32-bit client, on the off chance it might work again with the next patch because of some unseeable variant, haha.

WAIT!Do NOT delete your 32-bit GW2 app, just yet!Although your actual game stats and everything is saved online, to play on a Mac (or PC), you still need ALL the essential graphics and other basic game data that is saved locally on your Mac somewhere, which is usually within your App package. I do not remember the details, but to run the 64-bit GW2 app, it will automatically access your 32-bit data. You can also 'transplant' this data file into your 64-bit GW2 app package, but how-to details should be somewhere within this tread. Hopefully, someone here can post a refresher link about what to do with the GW2 data files on a Mac. You can re-download all your game data, but this is very time-consuming.

On the other hand, if you play GW2 via NVIDIA GeForce NOW on Mac, everything you need is saved over the net, and nothing is saved on your side except within your NVIDIA GeForce NOW app settings.

Hope this helps.

@DrMORO.4627 said:

@DrMORO.4627 said:FYI, just read this article about an Mac app that checks 64-bit compatibility of all Mac apps.

"
"

@GalaxySpot.6524 said:I downloaded the 64-bit many months ago because I was tired of crashing every 60 minutes or so, but when the game finally opened it was ridiculously lack-y, no possibility of inverted x-axis scrolling, and I could barely move my character because of the fps. I went back to the 32-bit client, but now I can't even open it, even though the app shows up in my Dock. Does anyone have any experience fixing this? Thank you!**My system is:Macbook Pro, 13 inchMacOS Mojave - Version 10.14.5Processor: 2,7 GHzMemory: 8 GBGraphic card: Intel Iris Graphics 6100

WAIT!Do NOT delete your 32-bit GW2 app, just yet!Although your actual game stats and everything is saved online, to play on a Mac (or PC), you still need ALL the essential graphics and other basic game data that is saved locally on your Mac somewhere, which is usually within your App package. I do not remember the details, but to run the 64-bit GW2 app, it will automatically access your 32-bit data. You can also 'transplant' this data file into your 64-bit GW2 app package, but how-to details should be somewhere within this tread. Hopefully, someone here can post a refresher link about what to do with the GW2 data files on a Mac. You can re-download all your game data, but this is very time-consuming.

On the other hand, if you play GW2 via NVIDIA GeForce NOW on Mac, everything you need is saved over the net, and nothing is saved on your side except within your NVIDIA GeForce NOW app settings.

Hope this helps.

Of course their way of doing it relies on you not having moved or renamed the executable. It pulls the file from there (application packages on the mac are just directories) so if you have moved it or renamed it it will redownload anyway.

My macs are a mess of links, things in nonstandard places, and the like. There was no question but that the client would redownload the dat file.

Anet should learn how to code in Metal.

nVidia GeForce Now, may be interesting...

Just playing in my Nintendo Switch... Smash Ultimate's Global Smash Power doesn't decay.Yeah, Anet... I'm a "low" PvP'er. Where's the VR version of GW2?

May just download DIII [Diablo III] for Switch in weeks.

Unix is better, stop with this deprecated way of coding spaghetti code.

@"DrMORO.4627" said:Do NOT delete your 32-bit GW2 app, just yet!Although your actual game stats and everything is saved online, to play on a Mac (or PC), you still need ALL the essential graphics and other basic game data that is saved locally on your Mac somewhere, which is usually within your App package. I do not remember the details, but to run the 64-bit GW2 app, it will automatically access your 32-bit data. You can also 'transplant' this data file into your 64-bit GW2 app package, but how-to details should be somewhere within this tread. Hopefully, someone here can post a refresher link about what to do with the GW2 data files on a Mac. You can re-download all your game data, but this is very time-consuming.

I recently posted my how-to process on the forums for doing exactly this "transplant" of the .dat files to avoid a time-consuming bandwidth-hogging full download: Removing multiple clients (32- and 64-bit) on Mac might solve some issues

While I deleted my 32-bit version (I really think it's way beyond support at this point, and could actually be part of the problem), I suppose you could save a 32-bit "archive" of the app, Application Support folder, prefs & cache files -- just put them all somewhere together safely outside the Application folder. Or better yet on an external HD so the 64-bit doesn't try to utilize those files in some way.

I only recommend this for at least intermediate techhies that know enough to confidently poke around their computers. Hope this is some help.

@Bellefon.1259 said:

@"DrMORO.4627" said:Do NOT delete your 32-bit GW2 app, just yet!Although your actual game stats and everything is saved online, to play on a Mac (or PC), you still need ALL the essential graphics and other basic game data that is saved locally on your Mac somewhere, which is usually within your App package. I do not remember the details, but to run the 64-bit GW2 app, it will automatically access your 32-bit data. You can also 'transplant' this data file into your 64-bit GW2 app package, but how-to details should be somewhere within this tread. Hopefully, someone here can post a refresher link about what to do with the GW2 data files on a Mac. You can re-download all your game data, but this is very time-consuming.

I recently posted my how-to process on the forums for doing exactly this "transplant" of the .dat files to avoid a time-consuming bandwidth-hogging full download:

While I deleted my 32-bit version (I really think it's way beyond support at this point, and could actually be part of the problem), I suppose you could save a 32-bit "archive" of the app, Application Support folder, prefs & cache files -- just put them all somewhere together safely outside the Application folder. Or better yet on an external HD so the 64-bit doesn't try to utilize those files in some way.

I only recommend this for at least intermediate techhies that know enough to confidently poke around their computers. Hope this is some help.

Thanks for the re-post here as well!Well written!

I forgot how I did my 'transplant' a while ago, but something like this.Yet, now I have most everything GW2 on an external Thunderbolt 2 SSD drive, including both the 32-bit app and working 64-bit app.For me, all is working OK (note: NOT great), and is playable at least with everything set to low.So, not much to worry about, but I may think of ZIP-ing the 32-bit app for backup, and deleting it.Yes, 32-bit app is DEAD for sure.

@DrMORO.4627 said:Thanks for the re-post here as well!Well written!

Yet, now I have most everything GW2 on an external Thunderbolt 2 SSD drive, including both the 32-bit app and working 64-bit app.

Thanks, glad to hear.

On the subject of external SSD, I’m considering doing that. In your experience:

• does Guild Wars 2 64-bit.app on the external SSD interact correctly with all the ancillary data files (Application Support and preference file located in ~/Library) on the primary drive?
  • is a USB 3.0 connection as good as Thunderbolt 1.0 (my current connection options)?
  • should the connection on the SSD match that on the computer (USB <-> USB, Thunderbolt <-> Thunderbolt)?
  • given Guild Wars 2 64-bit.app is currently 46gb, is there a recommended gb overhead minimum to handle I/O and any temp files?

Just thought I’d ask while you’re current on the thread and have done this. At some point I might make a separate thread asking about external SSD’s on Mac.