@Bellefon.1259 said:

@DrMORO.4627 said:Thanks for the re-post here as well!Well written!

Yet, now I have most everything GW2 on an external Thunderbolt 2 SSD drive, including both the 32-bit app and working 64-bit app.

Thanks, glad to hear.

On the subject of external SSD, I’m considering doing that. In your experience:
  • does Guild Wars 2 64-bit.app on the external SSD interact correctly with all the ancillary data files (Application Support and preference file located in ~/Library) on the primary drive?
  • is a USB 3.0 connection as good as Thunderbolt 1.0 (my current connection options)?
  • should the connection on the SSD match that on the computer (USB <-> USB, Thunderbolt <-> Thunderbolt)?
  • given Guild Wars 2 64-bit.app is currently 46gb, is there a recommended gb overhead minimum to handle I/O and any temp files?

Just thought I’d ask while you’re current on the thread and have done this. At some point I might make a separate thread asking about external SSD’s on Mac.

Not to me but since I looked into a couple of those questions ....

The 64 bit GW2 applications looks for the data file under either itself or the name of the 32 bit application under /Applications. If you move it to another drive it would not find it but it should work if you create a link (not an alias) to the 32 bit file. Google how to use ln to move your documents folder somewhere else and just change the paths.

USB 3.0 is better than TB 1.0. Depending on the measure it is on par with thunderbolt 2.0. My boot SSD is an external drive on a USB 3 connection and works fine.

For the third question it depends on what connectors you are trying to match. If a dongle exists you should be okay. Well, unless you are talking about thunderbolt 3 and USB-C.

Look on the gw2 site for recommended specs. A few years ago that file was in the 30s .... it grows all the time.

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Menadena.7482 said:

@"DrMORO.4627" said:Thanks for the re-post here as well!Well written!

Yet, now I have most everything GW2 on an external Thunderbolt 2 SSD drive, including both the 32-bit app and working 64-bit app.

Thanks, glad to hear.

On the subject of external SSD, I’m considering doing that. In your experience:
  • does Guild Wars 2 64-bit.app on the external SSD interact correctly with all the ancillary data files (Application Support and preference file located in ~/Library) on the primary drive?
  • is a USB 3.0 connection as good as Thunderbolt 1.0 (my current connection options)?
  • should the connection on the SSD match that on the computer (USB <-> USB, Thunderbolt <-> Thunderbolt)?
  • given Guild Wars 2 64-bit.app is currently 46gb, is there a recommended gb overhead minimum to handle I/O and any temp files?

Just thought I’d ask while you’re current on the thread and have done this. At some point I might make a separate thread asking about external SSD’s on Mac.

Not to me but since I looked into a couple of those questions ....

The 64 bit GW2 applications looks for the data file under either itself or the name of the 32 bit application under /Applications. If you move it to another drive it would not find it but it
should
work if you create a link (not an alias) to the 32 bit file. Google how to use ln to move your documents folder somewhere else and just change the paths.

USB 3.0 is better than TB 1.0. Depending on the measure it is on par with thunderbolt 2.0. My boot SSD is an external drive on a USB 3 connection and works fine.

For the third question it depends on what connectors you are trying to match. If a dongle exists you should be okay. Well, unless you are talking about thunderbolt 3 and USB-C.

Look on the gw2 site for recommended specs. A few years ago that file was in the 30s .... it grows all the time.

Well, talking about my own setup and of my own experience here, after 'transferring' the 32-bit .dat file 'into' the 64-bit app package, I just copied the 64-bit app onto an external SSD with direct connection through OWC Thunderbolt 2 dock which connects to my i7 Mac mini via Thunderbolt 2 as well. BTW, my external drive is Monster Digital Overdrive Thunderbolt (SSDOT-0240-A). For Thunderbolt 3 external SSD options, more are becoming available, and I probably will move to these enclosures later in my Mac life.

I then just double-clicked the copied 64-bit app on the external SSD drive, it just worked. Of course, I did delete the GW2 apps on my internal drives, which are now 'both' SSD as well, but NOT delete nor move anything else such as any of the files in the ~/Library folder. When GW2 in running, I do see the LEB on the external SSD drive frequently flashing. Load speed is not instant, yet very much acceptably playable.

For disk transfer speed and I/O interfaces, Googling USB vs Thunderbolt gives you plenty of info.Yet, here are some links to some charts I liked. (I AM a visual person.. ;)USB, Firewire & Thunderbolt: Which Is Best For Audio?USB 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 4.0 and Thunderbolt specs and feature comparison

Good Luck!

@"monkeyface.5627" said:Not sure if this is right place to post this, but since I assume this is mostly if not all mac users, anyone having any of these problems?https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/81022/game-crashes-every-time-i-exit#latesthttps://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/74115/mac-client-crashes-when-minimizing-and-hangs-when-closing

I do have similar crashes and hangs, freezes from time to time, with the 64-bit app. Not always, not often, but does happen sometimes for sure.My thought of this is, I think this could be with the GW2 app not being 'friendly' enough with Mac OS, and its heavy CPU usage. I often switch apps with Command+Tab key combo, and doing this too frequently does seem to trigger 'instability' in running GW2 app on Mac OS and the entire Mac itself, me think. When running GW2 64-bit app, I see more than 150%+ CPU usage in Activity Monitor app, which means most all the CPU power is hogged up by GW2 app and not much wiggle room left for all other apps running in parallel to run stably.

Interestingly while understandably, when running GW2 via NVIDIA GeForce NOW (beta) app on Mac, I have never experienced a crash, not even once, as this system is basically running GW2 on a Window$ background, and streaming the gameplay to my Mac.

I really REALLY wish ANet modernizes the GW2 Mac app for the much better, utilizing more GPU power over CPU, full 64-bit, and overall stability.The latest 64-bit-only Mac OS Catalina just around the corner, and already early beta-testers here are saying they cannot run nor play GW2 64-bit app AT ALL, very unfortunately. No sight of any good and promising future for GW2 on Mac, at the moment, really sadly.(And I definitely don't want to be hindered of crafting Exordium, which I am at the last stage of it..)

Hey! What's going on, ANet?

@"monkeyface.5627" said:Not sure if this is right place to post this, but since I assume this is mostly if not all mac users, anyone having any of these problems?https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/81022/game-crashes-every-time-i-exit#latesthttps://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/74115/mac-client-crashes-when-minimizing-and-hangs-when-closing

Commented in those threads.

Hello all, just adding my pieces as been advised by GW2 Support to post in this thread so the devs have a better idea of how many people it's affecting. My GW2 client loads up for a few seconds but then crashes - screen goes to black for a short while and when it comes back on any open windows have been closed.

I've also been unable to play GW2 since updating my MacBook Pro to macOS Catalina version 10.15 beta (19A501i). What hasn't worked so far:

1) Deleting/reinstalling client2) Creating a new user3) Removing login/startup items4) Removing .dat and .plist files

I hope there's a solution soon. I miss playing! :(

@"ChihuahuaEmpress.4960" said:Hello all, just adding my pieces as been advised by GW2 Support to post in this thread so the devs have a better idea of how many people it's affecting. My GW2 client loads up for a few seconds but then crashes - screen goes to black for a short while and when it comes back on any open windows have been closed.

I've also been unable to play GW2 since updating my MacBook Pro to macOS Catalina version 10.15 beta (19A501i). What hasn't worked so far:

1) Deleting/reinstalling client2) Creating a new user3) Removing login/startup items4) Removing .dat and .plist files

Go back to 10.14 .... Catalina enforces 64 bit and our lovely "64 bit client" has some 32 bit code. Their support should know this, that they do not is VERY troubling!

I looked at anet's support site at mac requirements. They even say you should be running a 64 bit version of the OS. :)

Who wants to be the first one to file a ticket when Catalina drops? If they tell you to post here drink! You just KNOW they will get flooded with tickets from mac users that are not in this thread rightfully upset that a triple A game has a mac client that does not work on macs.

@Menadena.7482 said:I looked at anet's support site at mac requirements. They even say you should be running a 64 bit version of the OS. :)

Who wants to be the first one to file a ticket when Catalina drops? If they tell you to post here drink! You just KNOW they will get flooded with tickets from mac users that are not in this thread rightfully upset that a triple A game has a mac client that does not work on macs.

I'm planning to become a bartender either way, so... why not?

@Menadena.7482 said:

@"ChihuahuaEmpress.4960" said:Hello all, just adding my pieces as been advised by GW2 Support to post in this thread so the devs have a better idea of how many people it's affecting. My GW2 client loads up for a few seconds but then crashes - screen goes to black for a short while and when it comes back on any open windows have been closed.

Go back to 10.14 .... Catalina enforces 64 bit and our lovely "64 bit client" has some 32 bit code. Their support should know this, that they do not is VERY troubling!

HA! Thank you. That'd explain it...

Midway through pvp match colors randomly inverted or whatever this is:3O1LmeD.jpgAfter going to character select and back in after match it was still:eM4pejQ.jpgAfter exiting the game and logging back in it was fixed. Though it is a very annoying issue that I'm sure I may not even run into again let alone get looked at in any sense. But, among the many, many issues I have had as a gw2 mac user over the last 2 months, I'm glad to see the mac client getting support to prevent random problems like this.On a 2017 Mac book pro, I haven't even upgraded to Catalina yet, which I've heard has several issues, and I run in highest performance settings- always.

After the latest revs. of the game and updates to the Mac OS (10.14.6), the game now freezes and has several graphics card issues. I really hope Anet responds soon! I really want to continue playing this game. We need some Mac love here Anet! Please help!

@Arten.3915 said:After the latest revs. of the game and updates to the Mac OS (10.14.6), the game now freezes and has several graphics card issues. I really hope Anet responds soon! I really want to continue playing this game. We need some Mac love here Anet! Please help!

Let us know here if they say something ... well, aside from saying to post to this thread, which they seem to be doing to everyone without there (maybe?) seeming to be a mac team to actually read and act on things.

So I have a Mac late 2011 with all the current updates to software i can (Highsiera) and have intel 3000 for my gpu. I have gone from crashing every 20 minutes to now not even being able to get to the character screen before it freezes. I have tried repairing the client multiple times to no avail. I am forced to hard reboot my mac because everytime it freezes, I cant do anything or click on anything. This started right after the new build came out today

@Pandaguy.2630 said:So I have a Mac late 2011 with all the current updates to software i can (Highsiera) and have intel 3000 for my gpu. I have gone from crashing every 20 minutes to now not even being able to get to the character screen before it freezes. I have tried repairing the client multiple times to no avail. I am forced to hard reboot my mac because everytime it freezes, I cant do anything or click on anything. This started right after the new build came out today

Intel graphics? That means integrated graphics, which most games, including GW2, do not play nice with. Can you add an external GPU to your system? BTW, is this an imac or a mini or what (I assume a mini as an imac would have a gpu).

If thinking of an external gpu shop around, there are MUCH better deals out there than the one apple sells. Quieter and upgradeable too.

@Menadena.7482 said:

@"Pandaguy.2630" said:So I have a Mac late 2011 with all the current updates to software i can (Highsiera) and have intel 3000 for my gpu. I have gone from crashing every 20 minutes to now not even being able to get to the character screen before it freezes. I have tried repairing the client multiple times to no avail. I am forced to hard reboot my mac because everytime it freezes, I cant do anything or click on anything. This started right after the new build came out today

Intel graphics? That means integrated graphics, which most games, including GW2, do not play nice with. Can you add an external GPU to your system? BTW, is this an imac or a mini or what (I assume a mini as an imac would have a gpu).

If thinking of an external gpu shop around, there are MUCH better deals out there than the one apple sells. Quieter and upgradeable too.

FYI, Intel HD Graphics 3000 in Mac models are listed here. Possibly a 2011 MBP or Mac mini.Apple Support "About integrated video on Intel-based Mac computers"https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204349#intelhd

I have a 2011 MBP13 with Intel HD Graphics 3000, but recently have only run GW2 via NVIDIA GeForce NOW. I can test if actually Intel HD Graphics 3000 is the cause or not. I will update later on this.I also play GW2 64-bit on a 2011 Mac min, but mine is a CTO with dedicated AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB GPU and i7 CPU, so cannot say about all other 2011 Mac mini, except I CAN play GW2 on my Mac mini at low settings without much crashing or freezing. Only once in a while when switching apps too many times by Command+Tab.

@DrMORO.4627 said:

@"Pandaguy.2630" said:So I have a Mac late 2011 with all the current updates to software i can (Highsiera) and have intel 3000 for my gpu. I have gone from crashing every 20 minutes to now not even being able to get to the character screen before it freezes. I have tried repairing the client multiple times to no avail. I am forced to hard reboot my mac because everytime it freezes, I cant do anything or click on anything. This started right after the new build came out today

FYI, Intel HD Graphics 3000 in Mac models are listed here. Possibly a 2011 MBP or Mac mini.Apple Support "About integrated video on Intel-based Mac computers"

I have a 2011 MBP13 with Intel HD Graphics 3000, but recently have only run GW2 via NVIDIA GeForce NOW. I can test if actually Intel HD Graphics 3000 is the cause or not. I will update later on this.I also play GW2 64-bit on a 2011 Mac min, but mine is a CTO with dedicated AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB GPU and i7 CPU, so cannot say about all other 2011 Mac mini, except I CAN play GW2 on my Mac mini at low settings without much crashing or freezing. Only once in a while when switching apps too many times by Commend+Tab.

Ah, thanks, I had always heard integrated graphics were a no-go.

For my next machine I am planning on a mini with an external gpu. Well, assuming they fix their 32 bit problem. No more imacs for me .... I have given up on the idea of hauling a monitor with me to the apple store for something like a cpu problem. Plus when one or the other dies I can just swap it out rather than having half my system be this albatross.

@Menadena.7482 said:

FYI, Intel HD Graphics 3000 in Mac models are listed here. Possibly a 2011 MBP or Mac mini.Apple Support "About integrated video on Intel-based Mac computers"

I have a 2011 MBP13 with Intel HD Graphics 3000, but recently have only run GW2 via NVIDIA GeForce NOW. I can test if actually Intel HD Graphics 3000 is the cause or not. I will update later on this.I also play GW2 64-bit on a 2011 Mac min, but mine is a CTO with dedicated AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB GPU and i7 CPU, so cannot say about all other 2011 Mac mini, except I CAN play GW2 on my Mac mini at low settings without much crashing or freezing. Only once in a while when switching apps too many times by Commend+Tab.

Question to all: How many reading here are actually playing GW2 64-bit on a Mac with only integrated graphics like Mac mini or MBP 13 inch, not with a dedicated GPU?

Question to all: Players with Macs that have dedicated GPU, such as iMac, MBP 15 inch, Mac Pro, and some Mac mini, are you able to play GW2 64-bit ok?

For my next machine I am planning on a mini with an external gpu. Well, assuming they fix their 32 bit problem. No more imacs for me .... I have given up on the idea of hauling a monitor with me to the apple store for something like a cpu problem. Plus when one or the other dies I can just swap it out rather than having half my system be this albatross.

eGPU would be nice, and I would like get one for my next Mac, IF my pocket is deep enough.My only thought is, GW2 seems to be CPU heavy, CPU power hungry.So, I am not sure if the 64-bit app will ever be optimized to become reliant to GPU power over CPU speed.eGPU might not 'pay' for playing GW2 at better graphics settings.

Question to all: Is anyone playing GW2 using eGPU? And if so, is it actually much better than no eGPU?

Hello all,I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) with Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB and 2,2 GHz Intel Core i7 + 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3. I'm still running Sierra so far, haven't moved to High Sierra following the issues reported here. And as long as GW2 will not be fixed 100% for 64bits I will not move to Catalina.

GW2 runs relatively smoothly with High to medium settings (with 1 or 2 low) with 10 to 25fps. By relatively I mean it can be jerky specifically when it is crowdy (LA) but not always, World boss are usually smooth for instance. Of course the graphic are not as pretty as it should with a dedicated GPU but it is playable. I have been playing since 2014 and I haven't feel limited or hindered by it. For the last 12 months I have only experienced 1 or 2 crashes/freeze (and I connect almost everyday).Only complain so far: when I mount I usually stay stuck in the ground for like 10 to 15 seconds, specifically when I arrive in a new location and all graphic are not all loaded properly it seems.

And yes, would be nice to have an update from Anet about the mac client....

Hope it helps

@DrMORO.4627 said:

Question to all: How many reading here are actually playing GW2 64-bit on a Mac with only integrated graphics like Mac mini or MBP 13 inch, not with a dedicated GPU?

Question to all: Players with Macs that have dedicated GPU, such as iMac, MBP 15 inch, Mac Pro, and some Mac mini, are you able to play GW2 64-bit ok?

eGPU would be nice, and I would like get one for my next Mac, IF my pocket is deep enough.My only thought is, GW2 seems to be CPU heavy, CPU power hungry.So, I am not sure if the 64-bit app will ever be optimized to become reliant to GPU power over CPU speed.eGPU might not 'pay' for playing GW2 at better graphics settings.

Question to all: Is anyone playing GW2 using eGPU? And if so, is it actually much better than no eGPU?

The price for egpus is not bad .... if you do not buy it from apple. All GPUs were artificially inflated because people were using them for bitcoin mining but are dropping. Apple's egpu is 1200 USD .... but a MUCH better one from OWC (quieter and upgradeable too) is 550 or 650 depending on what specs you want. I am sure you can find cheeper ones out there too if you shop around. It is the new "never buy memory from apple".

If you get most apple machines it will come with a discrete GPU, although it is the laptop version (well, except for the pro but that is hardly a deal). The mini does not come with a discrete GPU but with an eGPU you will wind up with a better graphics solution. Having an egpu rather than a gpu is handy as apple is notoriously bad with cooling.

Assuming you have a good CPU and plenty of RAM your next two things to optimize gaming performance are an SSD and a GPU. Depending on the game the order of those 4 things change in terms of bang-for-your-buck but if you think you might play another game in addition to GW2 sometime soon I would look at GPUs/eGPUs too as they are usually used heavily.

@"Aragorn.8157" said:Hello all,I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) with Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB and 2,2 GHz Intel Core i7 + 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3. I'm still running Sierra so far, haven't moved to High Sierra following the issues reported here. And as long as GW2 will not be fixed 100% for 64bits I will not move to Catalina.

GW2 runs relatively smoothly with High to medium settings (with 1 or 2 low) with 10 to 25fps. By relatively I mean it can be jerky specifically when it is crowdy (LA) but not always, World boss are usually smooth for instance. Of course the graphic are not as pretty as it should with a dedicated GPU but it is playable. I have been playing since 2014 and I haven't feel limited or hindered by it. For the last 12 months I have only experienced 1 or 2 crashes/freeze (and I connect almost everyday).

Hi and thank you very much for your posting and information.Quick question: Does your MBP15 Mid 2014 have a dedicated/discrete GPU or not, other than the Intel Iris Pro Graphics?FYI, Apple "MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) - Technical Specifications"https://support.apple.com/kb/SP704Here, it says it has a "NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching".I always thought that all 15 inch MacBook Pro have a discrete/dedicated GPU, as well as an integrated GPU, and able to switch between each other, while 13 inch MBP are always only integrated GPU and never had a dedicated/discrete GPU.I am wondering, if you disable the "Automatic graphics switching", by "System Preferences" and then go to "Energy" control panel & uncheck the box next to "Automatic graphics switching", will it change your GW2 graphics and/or playability at all?Should be all better, you think.I am just VERY curious.

Only complain so far: when I mount I usually stay stuck in the ground for like 10 to 15 seconds, specifically when I arrive in a new location and all graphic are not all loaded properly it seems.

I also have this same issue several times during playing, on my Mac mini 2011 with dedicated/discrete GPU and i7 CPU running El Capitan. Although stuck ing the ground, looking at the mini map, my character is actually moving in the correct direction and traveling a distance, until suddenly my character warps to the correct location on the mount on screen. Weird bug for sure. I just wait for a bit, mount and unmount and mount again until all good.

ArenaNet, what's up, up there?

@"DrMORO.4627" said:

Quick question: Does your MBP15 Mid 2014 have a dedicated/discrete GPU or not, other than the Intel Iris Pro Graphics?FYI, Apple "MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) - Technical Specifications"https://support.apple.com/kb/SP704Here, it says it has a "NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching".I always thought that all 15 inch MacBook Pro have a discrete/dedicated GPU, as well as an integrated GPU, and able to switch between each other, while 13 inch MBP are always only integrated GPU and never had a dedicated/discrete GPU.

In fact when I bought it there was 2 options possible with or without the Nvidia GT750M. At that time I still had a windows laptop I used for GW2 (it is dead now), so I took the MBP without the nvidia GT750 (cheaper by several hundreds of euros). So my MBP only has the Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB, no Nvidia gpu and switching. If I had it I think the graphic would be prettier and it would be less jerky at time.

I have never investigated external gpu as mentioned in the thread but it could be a cool idea indeed. Of course it would make more sense if anet was making a clear statement on the future of the mac client: plan for full 64bit? and maybe move to metal? :-) (Of course I have no idea of resources needed for such work...).I don't know the percentage of player having a mac but I think I remember a post from someone at anet saying that lots of their own employees where using mac...don't know if it is still the case... The waiting time and priority is clearly linked to that mac player percentage unfortunatly...

Run GW2 in Catalina and the screen goes black for a couple of seconds, then the Finder comes back and all GUI apps that were running are no longer running. They all got killed off with no error messages or anything to indicate what happened. My guess is it screws up Metal so badly that everything using Metal is trashed.

The fact that other apps die is Apple's fault. But I expect more from ANet as well.