Game won't start

Played just fine around 6am but just tried starting it back up and it said it was downloading 15k then closed out now every time I try to start it it comes up with downloading 0 kb then closes out. I'm not sure what the issue is I can't even get it up to the log in screen right now worked fine earlier today I'm guessing something with the update broke the game for me as it worked fine for me before said update. I restarted my pc thinking that might help but it didn't.

• Like 1

I'm also having this issue. If ANet dev sees this then this is what I'm seeing when I look in the Windows Event Viewer Logs (this is the first thing I look into for issues since I do programming for a living):

Faulting application name: Gw2Setup-64.tmp, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x6148ce69
Faulting module name: Gw2Setup-64.tmp, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x6148ce69
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x00000000002d891d
Faulting process id: 0x2e50
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7af31aa7b8281
Faulting application path: D:\Guild Wars 2\Gw2Setup-64.tmp
Faulting module path: D:\Guild Wars 2\Gw2Setup-64.tmp
Report Id: dfc13cf8-2d15-45a7-9c5c-71d0de42e71b
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

38 minutes ago, AmberBeads.6481 said:

I'm having the same problem here.... Download screen pops up, doesn't do anything, then closes.  Tried rebooting, made sure there was enough room on the drive I had it installed, tried running a -repair with the same behavior.

I'm at least glad to see I'm not the only one having the issue.

Yeah, seems to be happening to multiple people, but also seems to be somewhat computer-specific: I have one computer which is having the problem, the other is running fine. Unfortunately, the latter is the 2015 laptop which often has long load times in transitions (although it's actually been doing okay today...) along with other issues.

Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't help, so don't try that. Deleting the local.dat file in %appdata%/Guild Wars 2 will make it download that file (or 15MB worth of it), and then it will close. 

39 minutes ago, Crymsyn.5037 said:

So basically its just a waiting game until they find and fix whatever went wrong? I don't have another pc I can use sadly so means I'll likely be waiting.

@Terrier.8732 found a fix, but it might be specific to their machine - I haven't been messing around with ports on my machine and with the time I've been able to allocate to troubleshooting myself (busy week, can't afford to spend hours trying solutions that might not work), I haven't been able to figure out how to do what they did myself.

32 minutes ago, Crymsyn.5037 said:

To be honest I would rather uninstall it and play something else than mess around with ports and things like that. This pc was a bit too pricey (Alienware I bought with stimulus) for me to mess around with things I know nothing about ha ha.

From another thread, it appears to be a Trend antivirus problem. Put the folder you have GW2 in onto the exemption list, and it works.

• Like 3

Mine resolved by removing ArcDPS (d3d9.dll) from "Guild Wars 2\bin64" Folder.

Problem : after login @ char select screen...when selecting a char to get in loading screen crashes game right away.

*--> Crash <--*
Exception: c0000005  
Memory at address 00007ff6`48ed5a2d could not be written
App: Gw2-64.exe 
Pid: 17120
BaseAddr: 00007FF6188A0000
ProgramId: 101
Build: 119984
When: 2021-09-22T05:18:32Z 2021-09-22T01:18:32-04:00
Uptime:   0 days  0:00:24
Flags: 0
DumpFile: Crash.dmp

Solution : Stop game. Remove d3d9.dll (ArcDPS) from "Guild Wars 2\bin64" Folder. Start game again and work fine.

Edited by StormSpot.4162
SOLVED
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 9/22/2021 at 1:36 PM, draxynnic.3719 said:

From another thread, it appears to be a Trend antivirus problem. Put the folder you have GW2 in onto the exemption list, and it works.

Yes; this worked for me.  Thank you.

----

However, the next day I had the same problem, even though the folder is listed as an exemption in Trend Micro 😞

Edited by Toriella.1597
Update
  • Thanks 1

I don't have Trend, I use F-Secure, but it was the same issue.  I'm not a huge fan of adding programs that need files downloaded regularly to my exemption list, I wonder what caused that.  I had already tried setting it to Gaming Mode (which usually takes care of most gaming-related issues) and still had the problem, but adding it as an exemption fixed it.

Edited by AmberBeads.6481
clarity

1 hour ago, AmberBeads.6481 said:

I don't have Trend, I use F-Secure, but it was the same issue.  I'm not a huge fan of adding programs that need files downloaded regularly to my exemption list, I wonder what caused that.  I had already tried setting it to Gaming Mode (which usually takes care of most gaming-related issues) and still had the problem, but adding it as an exemption fixed it.

Yeah. Hopefully ArenaNet will sort it out with the antivirus companies and we'll be able to undo it. Mind you, I've been having issues with my GW2 install needing to be repaired on a regular basis for a while, so I'll be keeping an eye on that myself: if that stops and then starts up again when I take GW2 off the exemption list, that might well be another case of Trend interfering.