Returning player - How's Guardian doing (all specs) in WvW / sPvP these days?

Luka.3291

Hey guys!

I just got back  to GW2 2 weeks ago and have been experimenting with which profession I want to deep dive into and call my main since. I’ve never really played Guardian until recently and after some sPvP matches I’m in love with DH (trapper). Love the burst and longbow skills, it feels so good when you pull off something semi-skillful.

My question is whether my isolated experience with the class has given me a false hope for the prof, or if it actually is this good? I’ve heard that the DH trapper build is generally nooby and doesn’t work with more experienced players, but what should I run instead in spvp / wvw for roaming? FB condi builds for roaming seems a bit weird imho.

Also on this note, which is the Guardian PvE DPS meta build atm? Condi burn FB? 

Many thanks!

Edited by Luka.3291

Trapper dh is a pretty good build in ranked as it farms enemies rather fast, I would not run it in coordinated games however, as it drastically falls off vs players with their dodge key bound.

Guard is extremely good in pve content. You can play power DH (even with longbow if you enjoy that, you'll lose about 3k dps over sword).

Condi firebrand is also a top-tier dps build.

Quickness firebrand is also meta just about everywhere, a dps/support build which outdps' most pure dps builds out there.

As for wvw, DH is actually a pretty strong roamer as wvw fixes the shortcomings that you have in pvp. You can hit upwards of 16k Trueshots while sitting on 14k health with quickness sigils.

If you have any questions about builds, let me know. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Math.5123 said:

Trapper dh is a pretty good build in ranked as it farms enemies rather fast, I would not run it in coordinated games however, as it drastically falls off vs players with their dodge key bound.

Guard is extremely good in pve content. You can play power DH (even with longbow if you enjoy that, you'll lose about 3k dps over sword).

Condi firebrand is also a top-tier dps build.

Quickness firebrand is also meta just about everywhere, a dps/support build which outdps' most pure dps builds out there.

As for wvw, DH is actually a pretty strong roamer as wvw fixes the shortcomings that you have in pvp. You can hit upwards of 16k Trueshots while sitting on 14k health with quickness sigils.

If you have any questions about builds, let me know. 

Awesome, thanks for the input! Are there other viable Guardian builds in pvp that are not trapper DH's? I mean, I love the trapper spec but it's nice with build variety as I mostly play pvp. Cheers

1 hour ago, Luka.3291 said:

Awesome, thanks for the input! Are there other viable Guardian builds in pvp that are not trapper DH's? I mean, I love the trapper spec but it's nice with build variety as I mostly play pvp. Cheers

Support guard is the only meta spec, but the off meta specs aren't that bad. 

You can play: (excluding LB trapper)

-  GS Mediguard (zerker/marauder)

- Hammer mediguard (zerker/valk)

- Burn mediguard

- Burn DH

- Burn support hybrid

- GS full glass cannon trapper DH with dragon's maw

Though you can make your own build, I've climbed to plat 2 by playing a Hammer variant of the LB trapper build and it worked very well for me.

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...

In PvE firebrand is overpowered in most content. DH and firebrand both have top level DPS options. 

In wvwvw it's got a rly good support build through core and firebrand also offers a good DH DPS option. 

In spvp trapper DH is strong in ranked play (less used in ATs but Naru and more have run it) higher you climb the less you can just rely on the trap meme to carry you though you will have to learn to use the rest of the build once you get into plat. 

Also a meta support through core. 

Guardian is pretty strong around the board currently and a great option. It's not super complex but does have a difficulty curve to playing it to give you the sense of progression in mastering it. 

• Confused 1