You guys have a checkpoint system, how come you throw it out the window on disconnect?

This game has a check point system in story mode, yet you guys abandon it whenever we get disconnected, or whenever the game crashes.....

We got to the end of "The Departing" quest, and we got disconnected from the server. Infuriating to connect and find out that we have to do that entire quest over again through no fault of our own. A few quests ago, we crashed on the final cutscene, had to redo the entire quest as well.

Your game has a check point system written, why on earth are you not utilizing it?

Aion (which was released in 2009) has the same system. When you get disconnected you will get back into that instance after reconnecting within the same 10 minute period. Progress will not only be saved, the instance will continue to work just as if you were in there, that means if you have NPC with you in the instance which are fighiting mobs with you, those NPC will continue to fight the mobs during the time you are not there.

I don't think there are any checkpoints in "The Departing" at all. Generally, the PoF story could use a lot more.

The "reconnect after disconnect" system is a lot more expensive to maintain in GW2 than in GW1; I don't know if that's why ANet didn't include it for this game. (As far as I know, they haven't ever commented on it.)

I'd like to see ANet use a strong rule of thumb for where to put checkpoints:

• Before & after major battles.
  • Before & after major dialogue (which could/might be the same as above).
  • Before every achievement point trigger.

You shouldn't have to refight Batlthazar to try again to regain your soul; you shouldn't have to revisit your personal history in order to retart the fight.

Archived