Dragon Cultist Advanced Class- 2021

AusarViled.7106

I know GW2 likely does not need anymore classes, however with the release of HoT we got revenant. The class i suggest, could be added with living season 5 as a final reward. Let us discuss the vision for the class. 

The Weapon Combination

The dragon cultist, is a hybrid class, by combining the storm mastery from the elementalist, with the play style of a old school Ranger and Warrior.  Aka access to a great sword [lightning themed abilities focused primarily on aoe damage.- a 10M leap that shocks the ground [grow dragon wings when you charge], a 20M dash in a straight line leaving shock on the ground [like flame dash], a short knock down, a block, a cyclone spin that shoots lightning in all directions [like warrior], and a shock trap.

The Long Bow: in long bow stance, you have access to summons of pets [small dragon like creatures] similar to necromancers ghouls. Using 1, would summon a creature for 15 seconds [25s cooldown] that stays within 10M of the user.  Electric arrows: like the infamous ranger skill of pewpew pew pew, but with the caveat that it does little to no damage, but each projectile knocks the enemy back 5M and applies confusion. The third skill, is a dragon piercer: a 5 sec charged shot with power of a dragon [always does 35% of targets hp on players, or 55% on mobs outside of elites]. The final skill is dragon flight, a 45% increase to movement speed so that the cultist can run away to live another day

Medium armor: The armor is all dragon themed

Masteries:

Mordromoth: [mostly all utilites are about snares], use all kinds of traps to immobilize enemy then unload on them with bow or sword

Krawlkotorik: [technical crystal pillars]], when placed act like lightning rods, if you shoot them, they will electrify and zap everything in between them.  Also has the benefit of extending pets

Zhiatan:  Focuses on condition damage: transforms shock [power] to condition damage over time, so all your attacks stack dots.

Jormag: gives the cultist ability to use ice abilities which combo with lightning- DONT DRAW TO MUCH OR JORMAG WILL polymorph you into a thrall and you will die

Primordus: instead of ice, you gain abilities of fire as well

Ultimates:

Dragonlin hoarde: summon 15 minions of the respective dragon, to fight for you for 10 seconds [like thieves guild]- 300 seconds

Dragon's fury: gives everyone 15 stacks of might, and 15 stacks of fury around you in 35M and a 10k heal- 100 seconds

Dragon's Blessing: heal 500 hp per second for 60 seconds while in bubble, converts negatives to boons [ally] to negatives for enemies- 100 seconds

Final sacrifice: Consume 100% of your hp and go into downed state, deals 9K damage to mobs ignoring armour, if dead instant raise, if enemy survives you die- 30 seconds

What do yo all think- this is my first class suggestion so feed back would be appreciated

Questions:

1. Since the game has been designed for the player characters to take a heroic role, and the dragons have been the major villains for the last 9 years, what is your lore justification for why the Pact Commander is channeling the dragons and dressing like a worshipper of them?

2. Your ideas seem to cover a great number of things the other professions do. In what area is this new profession lacking? What can't it do that it would have to rely on another profession to do? When it has a long range weapon, melee cleave weapon, lays traps, summons minions, summons turrets, switches between elements, has mobility and knockbacks, what mechanically defines it? 

9 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Questions:

1. Since the game has been designed for the player characters to take a heroic role, and the dragons have been the major villains for the last 9 years, what is your lore justification for why the Pact Commander is channeling the dragons and dressing like a worshipper of them?

One lore explanation could be that the commanders gets the ability to channel the other Elder Dragon's Magic through the bond with Aurene, who will act as a conduit for all the magic in Tyria, after Selbbub dies.

21 hours ago, bessonovluke.7692 said:

I know GW2 likely does not need anymore classes, however with the release of HoT we got revenant. The class i suggest, could be added with living season 5 as a final reward.

Do you mean the profession will be unlocked after beating the Icebrood Saga, which is Season 5?

Or do you mean Season 6, which would be the one following EoD?

There is already a Dragon focused Expec, Herald

This sound pretty much like a Rev but with each Legend being a different EDragon

If they made a new Class (Or set of class to preserve the balance between Heavy/Medium/Light) what could it bring that any of the other don't (or can't via Expec) and would they introduce enough Expec to equal what the other Career have ?

3 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

One lore explanation could be that the commanders gets the ability to channel the other Elder Dragon's Magic through the bond with Aurene, who will act as a conduit for all the magic in Tyria, after Selbbub dies.

But summoning their minions? "Hey, I called up purple crystal magic now that grandpa is dead" is very different than "I now have branded as my own personal army". And the OP implies that this isn't post-dragon, since if you wield ice magic too long you become Jormag's thrall. The OP even titled it "Dragon Cultist".

Maybe rename it Prismatic Scion and rework the skills to reflect a post-dragon directing of their portfolios and you could use that explanation.

Also, channeler of elder dragon magic through Aurene is problematic because it means only the commander should have this profession (maybe Caithe?) unless Aurene somehow shatters herself and thousands of people get a piece to channel with?

1 hour ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Also, channeler of elder dragon magic through Aurene is problematic because it means only the commander should have this profession (maybe Caithe?) unless Aurene somehow shatters herself and thousands of people get a piece to channel with?

Aurene could always "create" more sentient minions like Caithe (yes, she technically is a minion) or the Frost Legion and they all could use all Elder Dragons' magic. But the idea of wielding all Elder Dragon's magic (or small parts of each one's magic) might be better as a mastery track (if it became a thing at all), rather than a whole new profession.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1

I was thinking it would be justified because of PoF specifies that the commander no longer sees the dragons as evil. It is implied by the meeting with the gods, that we the commander will be forced to become a pillar in the magic forces and balances- aurene is kind of a pet already to us, we grew her as an egg, and she is a baby. I figured it could imply that we are now the master of dragons.

Knowing that we killed the dragons, i always figured we can turn the trope of killing for exp to signify that we are absorbing the abilities of the foes we killed. Aurene is bound to us, so can theoretically unlock the abilities of the dragons we absorbed.  

So from the perspective of lore- we are not becoming evil, we are merely forced to take on new responsibility. Living season 5 when i say that, is a typo, i place this living season as pre-climax of the final fight or post expansion. We do not know enough about the story so that would have to be on ArenaNet.

What does it do unique?

Not much, but do any of the classes really? Thief is outdone by many classes, similarly to how ranger does many things better then others, and so is true for necromancer. Does that mean we should only have 3-4 classes out of the current 9?  I would be happy with a hybrid class. Mostly because it fits the lore, and its a shiny new toy. We have not got a new class for a while.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dawanarth.4601 said:

Isn't there a difference between Branding and a minion ? (One being Mindless)

I don't know, is there? I got the impression all dragon minions were something before they were minions. A lot of Mordy's were plants first, though some are people. Zhaitan's all had to be, because by definition they were alive before they were undead. Jormag's ice storms could be entirely generated, but the great bulk of its minions are icified creatures. Since ice elementals exist separate from Jormag, it'd be hard to say if the ones that belong to it are corrupted or extensions of it.

Is there any lore evidence that some minions are generated wholecloth rather than being creatures that existed prior to corruption?

10 hours ago, Dawanarth.4601 said:

Isn't there a difference between Branding and a minion ? (One being Mindless)

The Branded specifically are Kralkatorrik's minions (and maybe Aurene's, but there is only Caithe for now), while minion is a general term for all the servants of Elder Dragons.

Edited by Fueki.4753