Mysterious Norn NPC in Hoelbrak

TheLadyOfTheRings.9148

Hi everyone.

I was doing map completion in Hoelbrak when I spotted this norn NPC (Nika Morkvist) in the Snow Leopard Lodge. Talking to the NPC, they say: 

- "Hey, good-lookin'. Come a little closer. I've got a secret for you."

To which our character replies:

- "I don't need any more secrets."

I was wondering if this dialogue is related to something in specific in the lore (e.g. I was wondering if, by any chance, it concerned the Order of Whispers) or if it's just a random casual NPC dialogue. 

Thank you!

Yep, you're right - she's part of the Order of Whispers, and she has a bit more to say if you are, too.

But she also has very interesting dialogue if you're a fellow Thief:

Spoiler

You: Don't try your bag of tricks on me. I know you, remember?

Her: Eh, I've said it so many times, it's become a habit. I'm liking this new influx of travelers. Have you noticed? The more pockets to pick, the happier I am.

You: You should turn your skills to good.

Her: Like you have? Maybe one day. For now, I'm content to take gold nuts and bolts out of asuran pouches. It makes me happy.

You: Carry on, then. Just keep your mitts out of my pocket.

...which implies a number of odd things about a Thief PC (unless I'm reading far too much into it).

a) they know her, somehow

b) they have no issue with actual thievery, just so long as it doesn't happen to them

c) "Like you have"? Was that implying that the Thief PC was once a criminal, too, before their story started? ...how that's possible for a sylvari or someone like a human noble is beyond me, so it's quite possible I really am reading too much into this.

• Thanks 7

37 minutes ago, TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:

I was wondering if this dialogue is related to something in specific in the lore (e.g. I was wondering if, by any chance, it concerned the Order of Whispers) or if it's just a random casual NPC dialogue. 

When in doubt, check the wiki:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Nika_Morkvist

13 minutes ago, Batel.9206 said:

...which implies a number of odd things about a Thief PC (unless I'm reading far too much into it).

a) they know her, somehow

b) they have no issue with actual thievery, just so long as it doesn't happen to them

c) "Like you have"? Was that implying that the Thief PC was once a criminal, too, before their story started? ...how that's possible for a sylvari or someone like a human noble is beyond me, so it's quite possible I really am reading too much into this

Keep in mind most city dialogue assumes the PC is of that race. IIRC, there's even a norn who mentions knowing the PC because they both grew up in Hoelbrak. So there's probably a missing 'and norn' in the 'if thief' statement for the dialogue (e.g., it's just 'if thief' and is meant to be 'if thief and norn').

And checking that page's history, it's possible that the IP who added the dialogue got it on norn thief, and it might be different for non-norn thief. [EDIT: Nope, had a friend verify and it plays for charr thieves too. So likely a dev error.]

Edited by Konig Des Todes.2086

4 minutes ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

And checking that page's history, it's possible that the IP who added the dialogue got it on norn thief, and it might be different for non-norn thief.

Nope, I have a sylvari Thief, and the dialogue is the same for him. Though you're right, it could just be a case of the NPC's dialogue written in assumption that the PC is the same race.

17 hours ago, Batel.9206 said:

possible for a sylvari or someone like a human noble is beyond me, so it's quite possible I really am reading too much into this.

Spoiler

Sylvari have the dream, maybe they have seen her in their dream (though the NPC wouldn't know) and for human, well politician are still often crooks and you could be a thief for fun

• 2 weeks later...

a) they know her, somehow

c) "Like you have"? Was that implying that the Thief PC was once a criminal, too, before their story started? ...how that's possible for a sylvari or someone like a human noble is beyond me, so it's quite possible I really am reading too much into this.

I like how you find it odd a Thief PC would have been a... you know, thief.

Sylvari I see what you mean, but its easy to imagine that the player character could be a proper thief and criminal on the side, at least up until they join an Order and truly start to take the whole "Be a good guy and defeat the Elder Dragons" thing to heart. Human Noble though could easily have been a part time criminal, its not unheard of especially in fiction for wealthy people to take up crime for the thrill of it, I always imagine that my Human Noble Thief was always a bit of a troublemaker and rouge who stole from other nobles for the thrill of it (I also imagine that given they were already rich and just doing it for the thrill they were somewhat of a Robin Hood figure who gave away anything they stole, because after all they dont need it)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, De Dominator.9834 said:

I like how you find it odd a Thief PC would have been a... you know, thief.

I mean, given that being a Thief in Guild Wars 2 is not a *bad* thing - just like being an Assassin back in GW1 wasn't a bad thing, either, and was viewed as a necessary part of Canthan life - I was a little curious. "Thief" is just another profession, like Elementalist or Ranger or Warrior, that in this case happens to share a name with...well, a criminal. It doesn't automatically imply that that person is a criminal, just like a person who's a Warrior might not have ever seen a battlefield in their life.

All that to say, you're completely right: it isn't far-fetched in the slightest to imagine that the Thief PC actually was a thief. (Heck, that's the backstory for one of my characters.) The game doesn't hint too much about what the PC's life was like before their story started (understandable, given the wide variety of personal stories available depending on character creation choices), so any little implication like this is fascinating. 😄

• Confused 1