What Untamed should have been- they can still change it

AusarViled.7106

There are a lot of posts rightfully angry about ranger new spec, we still in beta so they can recover if they do the above changes.

Switch the hammer for the Great Sword: 

Hammer makes no sense, as i replied in other posts on the topic, but why great sword?

1) All rangers use the Counter on great sword in 90% of cases. When you block an ability with unleashed you gain 10 stacks of might for 5 seconds, and have 500 barrier on you

2) Maul: depending on type of pet you wield does one of X: Fear around you in a 3m cone, grant boons to allies, or converts boons to corruptions, or bleeds

3) Swoop: in unleashed gives same effects as maul, but in a line that remains over where you flew for 1 sec

4) Hit bash: know grants stability and aegis for 10 seconds.

Traits:

Rank 1: In unleashed all rangers gain 25% movement speed buff with Greatsword Or Gain 1000 toughness based on precision, Or Great sword applies fear on combo finisher

Rank 2: In unleashed gain 20% increase to damage at threshold 20% or Counter know can be used twice but increases cool down by 50%, or maul applies vulnerability

Rank 3: On swoop heal % of damage done, Or grant aegis for 6 seconds or Grant Might to all allies around player.

Given traits: Toughness + 300, Toughness + 300 

Utilities

Beast Banner: For 5 seconds place a banner similar to warrior which increase might of all pets outside of  users who used it by 5- pulse 2, can be destroyed

Unleashed: gain the power of the pet type you chose, and spin like a whirlwind [thief stolen axe skill] and apply that effect to all around, acts as execution ability

Riposte: acts as a second counter, but heals you instead of knocking down enemy and knocks back projectiles at caster

Keeper of the glade: When unleashed is removed your pet is revived and grants regeneration

What do you all think- i believe this is better then the hammer as great sword is missing from rangers kit dispite being in game for 9 years

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

On 10/27/2021 at 6:27 PM, AusarViled.7106 said:

Switch the hammer for the Great Sword: 

Ranger already has the GS, they need to give a new Expec weapon.

Though I do admit they could have done the Unleashed to work on all the weapons, even if it wasn't all 5 slots (at minimum one for each hand, so 1|2|3+4|5)

Beast Banner: For 5 seconds place a banner similar to warrior which increase might of all pets outside of  users who used it by 5- pulse 2, can be destroyed

Would that not be to close to the Ranger Spirits ? Buffing area (though it's on hit as you explained) that can be destroyed.
Also I think i don't read it correctly because it seem to me that it just buffs pets, and only the pets of other rangers ?

Unleashed: gain the power of the pet type you chose, and spin like a whirlwind [thief stolen axe skill] and apply that effect to all around, acts as execution ability

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that. what power and

What do you all think- i believe this is better then the hammer as great sword is missing from rangers kit dispite being in game for 9 years

Are we playing the same game ? https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Greatsword#Ranger

untamed does not need such an investment to make the rest of the weapons and hammer to feel good. 

To fix hammer and weapons in feral mode: 

- Remove the dual aspect from hammer. 
- CC and movement imparing conditions ( similar to Predator's_Onslaught ) do an addtional strike damage similar to how One_Wolf_Pack works when the ranger or the pet are in Feral mode. 
- The damage of that addtional hit can be dynamic based in which kind of condition and the duration of such. 5 seconds of cripple would not do by far the same damage as 2 seconds of stun. 

There you go, the untamed suddendly gets back it's damage, because of the feral bonus strike the player will want to bounce between the pet and itself, and every weapon and even some traits would feel like part of the feral state (Alpha_Focus would do an small damage) and the untamed gets to enjoy a healthy and easy to balance unique effect (addtional damage in PVE and to do damage on CC in PvP and WvW)  

The elite needs more work as i suggested in the thread below so pets get to survive longer and the elite also provides some addtional support.
Funny enough i posted the suggestions on saturday after the showcase and before the beta based in what it was shown and everything i pointed out was spot on, although i did not expect the hammer to be so bad and the CD on feral mode to be so intrusive. 

10 minutes ago, AusarViled.7106 said:

What I mean by that is hyperbole. That great sword has been a ranger main weapon for 9 years but not once got a specialization to make it considerably stronger, a great sword is already good, there is nothing wrong with making it even better. Hammer is meha anyway 

Please tell us any other elite spec that got a already exsisting weapon for its class mate.

• Thanks 1

I am sure hammer can be made good, but it just does not make much sense for rangers lore. We have daggers, we have staff, we got bow, what else can they add?

ArenaNet will need to at some point make expansions of elite specs that build on the already existing weapons. In the case of ranger, doing so would make more sense then going with the hammer.

LMAO even rifle ranger makes more lore sense then the hammer. The spec would just be called hunter.

• Confused 2

Honestly, they have not thought about the spec for too long.
Yes they added some tools to it but they dont have the real tools that the spec of this class needs.
Its supposed to be a bruiser, what do bruisers have?
1 Strong sustained damage ( sometimes even higher then dps specs ) but the dmg is harder to get off, longer cast times, longer animation lock.
2 Mobility, all bruisers NEED LOADS of mobility, not thief kind of mobility ( which we kittening got for some reason, remove this kittening teleports its a disgrace for a bruiser spec ) Untamed needs something akin holo/scrapper/warrior mobility.
Where are short leaps on skills? Where is super speed?
3 Sustain ( if a spec needs to be able to brawl people in close combat it needs to be able to get its HP back up ) untamed has no healing, barrier or evasion whatsoever in its entire kit, which is not just stupid, but honestly just weird.
4 Damage doesnt make sense, like I get it that you are supposed to land CC and then deal increased damage, but 1 stance has damage and the other one has CC, with untamed CD being this long it just doesnt fit together, If anything unleash should have all its traits removed and CD be set to something small like ~2s, so that you can actually pick and choose combos for both yourself and the pet.
5 Pet control is horrible, in pve it might not be as bad I dont know as I dont care for pve balance as much ( as its just raw dps anyways and you can brute force numbers to work ) I Just couldnt get the pet to do what I wanted it to do, no matter how hard I tried. It just kept walking away from what I needed it to do.
6 Damage is lacking, skills like Untamed 2 ( the main hard hitter ) deals same kittening damage as maul ( which also applies vulnerability, has longer range, AND gives attack of oportunity ON TOP of having other better skills AND also being reset ) And that is assuming you are hitting controlled target, otherwise damage is even lower. And that is on top of untemaed traitline ( that has no damage bonuses in it ) combined with inability to even get in range ( to hit anything ).
You end up with a spec that
1 loses pet dmg as it wanders off and cant be controlled
2 loses damage as its skills deal less and traits give less bonuses then soulbeast/core
3 loses even more as you cant even land skills, fighting almost any other spec and you just cant keep up with them, you cant even get in range to try and hit anything, shoving in teleport is not fixing the issue it just makes it worse.

11 hours ago, AusarViled.7106 said:

I am sure hammer can be made good, but it just does not make much sense for rangers lore. We have daggers, we have staff, we got bow, what else can they add?

ArenaNet will need to at some point make expansions of elite specs that build on the already existing weapons. In the case of ranger, doing so would make more sense then going with the hammer.

LMAO even rifle ranger makes more lore sense then the hammer. The spec would just be called hunter.

Except being a iconic ranger build in gw1. Lol 

Hammer is fine. The elite just needs work 

Edited by Daddy.8125
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Daddy.8125 said:

Except being a iconic ranger build in gw1. Lol 

Hammer is fine. The elite just needs work 

Thing is... it really wasn't about the hammer.  The weapon could have been anything.  The reason "Bunny Thumper" was so popular wasn't really because of the hopping animation or the weapon or whatever.  It was popular because it was one of a tragically few number of viable ranger builds, especially in Tombs, Arenas, or Alliance Battles.

Players are going to reject Untamed, no matter how much ArenaNet tries to lean into the meme, if the spec is not particularly viable, and by all (admittedly limited) testing so far, it falls disastrously short in pretty much all aspects of GW2.

Edited by chemiclord.3978
  • Like 3