Game Won't Launch & Crashes Computer

After entering password and hitting Play, the GW2 screen minimizes to the bottom task bar and crashes my computer requiring hard power off. Can't even close the app from Task Manager and no other program can be started. Something happened between ~9am and 12:30pm EST this morning 11/11/21) as I was able to log in prior to 9am just fine.

• Like 4

so you tried add -repair to the command line of the target on the shortcut? 

instead of -repair

do -dx11

may need to delete the temp folder: 

go to file explorer

type %temp% on the top bar

delete the gw2cache folder

launch game with -dx11 tag. 

Edited by Raven.1087

Not sure if by "crashing the computer" you just mean that it basically freezes up and you can't click on stuff (but are still able to go to the search bar by pressing the windows key etc.) then you can just Press Windows-Key, start the command line from there and type " taskkill /IM Gw2-64.exe /F ".
Spares you the PC restart..

I know they said they are coming out with a fix for this. It happened to me as well immediately after Tuesday's update.

Temporary but consistent fix for me until they apply THEIR fix is to run the game in windowed mode NOT fullscreen.

I also changed the client to "Run as Administrator", but since I set it to run in "Windowed Mode" I have had no more

black screens with pointer only or crashes :)

This workaround works for me until they fix it for us:

right click the GW2 desktop icon and go to "Properties"

find the "target", then at the end of the line type -windowed

once in the game it's safe to change it to full screen via options (don't try to click the expand to full screen box in the upper right corner)

Hopefully this get fixed soon.

3 minutes ago, Slash.9450 said:

Why the update force me to download the entire game ? Get fiber is mandatory now ?

I'm guessing it's specifically the fix for this "just music" crash issue.  Or a workaround for whatever hardware issue they were having they mentioned that prevented them rolling out the fix.

💖 for the fix and getting it to us!!