Is it possible to download the upcoming expansion before the launch hour?

Well, you have all the Elite Specs and the Turtle already on your data set, if you played the betas. You have very likely basic map assets for all EoD maps snug into the past releases (e.g. you loaded quite a few files for Lunar new Year, without having anything "new" with the exception of a few skins. I expect a data package arriving on Tuesday to pre-load more things and the rest to arrive on the 28th.

I can't remember how much data was pushed out before PoF went live, but it wasn't that much, only a few giga bytes, which is modest, compared to the total data file.

• Like 5

You would have the Elite Specializations and Siege Turtle data even if you didn't play the betas (as long as you've logged in since then). 

There was that one download (thousands of files, if I remember) that took forever for some players awhile back, as well.

Anyway, no there isn't/won't be a special 'pre-download' available; at least, there hasn't ever been one before. 

• Like 3

Anet just posted this on Twitter: "We'll be temporarily disabling the Guild Wars 2 API this Sunday to avoid classified #GW2EOD information escaping from the vault of forbidden spoilers. 🤐🐲 We'll turn it back on shortly after launch. Remember to tag your End of Dragons spoilers, and we'll see you in Cantha!"

That makes it sound like some data related to EoD will be added to the game from Sunday onwards (because it wouldn't show up in the API if it wasn't in the game) but I don't know if that means we'll have an update to download.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1