The new fishing rod should have been a collection from fishing

anet's monetization strategy relies on selling skins. there's actually quite a hefty trade off for not having subscription fees. it seeps into all areas of the game, because they must always do what will make them most money, meaning everything is set up to funnel people into the gem store to buy skins and gold. they let u play on the playground real cheap. but if u wanna be a cool kid u better whip out that credit card xD especially with anet not exactly being a top earner for ncsoft. thats my perception

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, scarlettmoonbabe.6932 said:

anet's monetization strategy relies on selling skins. there's actually quite a hefty trade off for not having subscription fees. it seeps into all areas of the game, because they must always do what will make them most money, meaning everything is set up to funnel people into the gem store to buy skins and gold. they let u play on the playground real cheap. but if u wanna be a cool kid u better whip out that credit card xD especially with anet not exactly being a top earner for ncsoft. thats my perception

Even still, it would only ~185 gold to buy it, which is certainly within reach of anyone who can sell things on the TP (so not F2P players). I've felt the gold to gems conversion system was far to generous, if not laughably so given how NCSoft has gutted ArenaNet over the years...

Anyway, because you can convert gold to gems, this new rod technically is available through game play - any game play that earns gold.

• Confused 2