Let's get some Build Diversity.

DanAlcedo.3281

@Obtena.7952 @Ryou.2398

Most people don’t actually understand what diversity is or how to obtain it…and there’s a good reason why…is because it’s a scientific topic that is heavily studied but not universally well understood even today, by some of the smartest people on Earth. GW2 forums are the exception it seems, where everyone’s got diversity all figured out. With a simple fix here, fix there. “Diversity and Balance so easy comon Anet…”

For some context, to understand how it works requires a huge ocean of knowledge, over many professions, physics->thermodynamics->biology->evolution->Chaos and Complexity Theory

On top of that, those don’t fully address diversity is either and it is very much believed that in order to truly understand it, requires a Theory of Everything. 

This is why you can ask very simple questions about the nature of choice and receive completely variable and ridiculous answers like the following situation:

“I offer you a million dollars and 5 dollars.”

One person here would say this is diverse set of choices. Another person would say it needs to be balanced by making the two equal.

Most people fail to realize that making it equal (balancing) removes the choice in the first place.

What Obtena said here is also both correct and wrong at the same time. She’s correct in that, diversity through balance of making things equal is a myth. It can not be obtained, and there is no such thing. In the opposite token, choices do matter…clearly anyone can tell that a million dollars is a better choice than 5 dollars, and so the choices presented to you here is a “non-choice”… or quote “an illusion of diversity.”

most people don’t bother to think about the concepts in their fundamentality and that’s why nobody ever asks the right questions or gives the right answers. People fail to probe the topics to any great depth and if they had they would inexorably lead down the same road as me…having to learn physics and all those other sciences for 6 years.

Course nobody wants to really answer the question or solve the problem…that’s why such a pill is hard for people to digest here on the forums.

Edited by JusticeRetroHunter.7684
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

On 4/6/2022 at 12:12 PM, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

@Obtena.7952 @Ryou.2398

Most people don’t actually understand what diversity is or how to obtain it…and there’s a good reason why…is because it’s a scientific topic that is heavily studied but not universally well understood even today, by some of the smartest people on Earth. GW2 forums are the exception it seems, where everyone’s got diversity all figured out. With a simple fix here, fix there. “Diversity and Balance so easy comon Anet…”

For some context, to understand how it works requires a huge ocean of knowledge, over many professions, physics->thermodynamics->biology->evolution->Chaos and Complexity Theory

On top of that, those don’t fully address diversity is either and it is very much believed that in order to truly understand it, requires a Theory of Everything. 

This is why you can ask very simple questions about the nature of choice and receive completely variable and ridiculous answers like the following situation:

“I offer you a million dollars and 5 dollars.”

One person here would say this is diverse set of choices. Another person would say it needs to be balanced by making the two equal.

Most people fail to realize that making it equal (balancing) removes the choice in the first place.

What Obtena said here is also both correct and wrong at the same time. She’s correct in that, diversity through balance of making things equal is a myth. It can not be obtained, and there is no such thing. In the opposite token, choices do matter…clearly anyone can tell that a million dollars is a better choice than 5 dollars, and so the choices presented to you here is a “non-choice”… or quote “an illusion of diversity.”

most people don’t bother to think about the concepts in their fundamentality and that’s why nobody ever asks the right questions or gives the right answers. People fail to probe the topics to any great depth and if they had they would inexorably lead down the same road as me…having to learn physics and all those other sciences for 6 years.

Course nobody wants to really answer the question or solve the problem…that’s why such a pill is hard for people to digest here on the forums.

You do realize the balance team was nearly non existent at some point right? All games are illusions but the question is are they good illusions to begin with? I completely disagree though based on my own experiences, the meta can easily be more diverse in countless mmos and its been proven some mmos would purposely mess up balance to force rerolls. All I am saying is its easily manipulated and allot of the time it can be far better. I never claimed there is a perfect balance.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2022 at 12:59 AM, kamikharzeeh.8016 said:

this thread was started in the Wvw section and therefore its highly misleading now

I was wondering.

Biggest thing they can probably do is provide more support options with group stability. Break the guard/rev/scrapper triopoly. EoD added more competition for quickness and alacrity for PvE, but they seem to have missed that stability is just as important in WvW as those boons are in PvE.

15 hours ago, Ryou.2398 said:

You do realize the balance team was nearly non existent at some point right? All games are illusions but the question is are they good illusions to begin with? I completely disagree though based on my own experiences, the meta can easily be more diverse in countless mmos and its been proven some mmos would purposely mess up balance to force rerolls. All I am saying is its easily manipulated and allot of the time it can be far better. I never claimed there is a perfect balance.

i agree, it’s possible for the meta to be more diverse, but how diversity is created is what I’m targeting here. 

The how is a lot more deep and a lot more subtle and it doesn’t involve forcefully balancing things . It just does not work that way. 

Edited by JusticeRetroHunter.7684
  • Confused 1