Fishing and Forced Map Shard Changes

I have really been enjoying fishing, but by far the worst part of it is when I reach max stacks on a map, then the "map closure" notification pops up. Especially when there are still fish that I need to wait around for (dusk/dawn or night/day).

While I dislike the necessity of starting over on a different map (eg. losing stacks moving from Frostgorge to Queensdale), that's somewhat tolerable (and imo, understandable - you are choosing to change maps), whereas losing all the stacks you've worked for because you are forced into a new shard is - imo - unfair and unfun.

What I suggest is making stacks persist across shard changes, and increasing the time of the "skiff disassociation" debuff as to give time to get back on the skiff and to keep the stacks.

Just for those who don't know, "shard" is the term for different instances of the same map.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

I've hooted about this before, but the Fishing Party buff should be applied to the player, not chained to the boat.

If you need to be on the boat to get the stacks or to re-up the buff by accruing new ones then so be it, but once you've got the buff, it should hang around for an hour or so regardless of whether you're fishing or not. This would remove the heckery of getting bumped to a new map and losing everything and reduce the irritation of losing your buff because you briefly hopped ashore to help someone complete an event. Fishing should be part of playing GW2, not an either/or deal which is what it currently is.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

I've hooted about this before, but the Fishing Party buff should be applied to the player, not chained to the boat.

If you need to be on the boat to get the stacks or to re-up the buff by accruing new ones then so be it, but once you've got the buff, it should hang around for an hour or so regardless of whether you're fishing or not. This would remove the heckery of getting bumped to a new map and losing everything and reduce the irritation of losing your buff because you briefly hopped ashore to help someone complete an event. Fishing should be part of playing GW2, not an either/or deal which is what it currently is.

Oh 100%. I've had to go out of my way to avoid helping people or tagging events or champions, because I know it'll take more than 10 seconds. You're right about it playing separate from the rest of the game. If you go fishing that is the only activity you can do until you're done. That's not how it should be.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I'm sure, but you still get the extra hour. 

Which is no good if I'm waiting on dusk/dawn only fish, as day is 1h 10m in core Tyria, so chances are I'll be kicked and lose all stacks before I'm able to get the next window.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, EveningTempo.4796 said:

The problem with this game's fishing is that it's neither particularly rewarding nor particularly relaxing so there's never a reason to do it.

Not rewarding, not relaxing, not meshing with the dynamics of the game, not supported by the UI that just makes it painful.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, TexZero.7910 said:

They could solve this by having the volunteer's blessing freeze all buffs/boons/status effects while transfering and saving the player state so if you transfer on a mount you're automatically re-mounted in the same spot.

I like the idea of it saving whether a player is mounted or not.

Boz and Tempo, if you want to suggest ideas that are on topic feel free, but this is not a fishing hate thread. Thanks for keeping it on topic 🙂

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Miss Lana.5276 said:

Which is no good if I'm waiting on dusk/dawn only fish, as day is 1h 10m in core Tyria, so chances are I'll be kicked and lose all stacks before I'm able to get the next window.

It is unfortunate that the map closure happens during or right after dusk for you each time, so that you can't fish at dusk during that extra hour.  I hope your suggestion is implemented soon. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, JSmooth.7654 said:

Agree

I really like those suggestions. I'm fairly certain they fixed "sharing" stacks, as someone who took mine the other night didn't actually end up getting the 99 stacks that I had, making stacks just that much more difficult to keep.

• Sad 1