Hammerless Untamed WvW Build

SWLDguitar.5746

This is the hammerless Untamed build I’ve been using in WvW.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwEE6MssU2KLjpxcxR5SP+Wi7DD-zRYYSUfVFahUT5Ci6Q6WplzIonJpJOABsHeNO4MC-e

It’s very fun, but I feel there’s more I could be doing to fine tune it.

The overall concept is to be a boon striping bruiser.

The objective of this build is to be able to strip boons constantly, like Spellbreaker, at range or melee, while also outputting decent damage.  The Greatsword will strip 4 boons from 5 targets and the Axe will strip 2 via Unleashed Ambushes.  The sigils will also take their share. Pet Rending Vines converts 3.

To do damage, the idea here is to use Fury (via Signets, disables and pets) to regain Opening Strikes to get 100% crit chance, 25% more damage, and Vuln stacks. The opening strikes buff to be used on Unleased Ambushes, Mauls, or Winter’s Bites.

I chose the 2 signets to have the synergy / survivability that the cantrips provide.  Signet of the Hunt’s value coming from getting past aegis with the boon strips.  Signet of Stone and Stoneform providing survivability.

I use the 2 tigers because they both use slash passively, which does decent damage.  White tiger provides extra survivability with aegis, and Normal tiger will provide fury.

The biggest weakness is obviously stunbreak/condi cleanse – to that point Signet of Stone fills the role of stun break (kinda) and condicleanse should be provided by squad comp.  In duels, condi cleanse is the biggest issue, but generally speaking you outlast condi classes by striping/converting their boons.

Would like some constructive criticism,

Thanks,

• Haha 1

I assume the build is meant to be run in zerg setups?

Not sure I'm digging the deep investment into signets for the extra fury application in that case, in special not when you run solider/knight  stat mostly and don't have that much ferocity to begin with.
Might be worth it if you were running Valkyrie or more Caviler in the spots were you run Knights now? You don't really need the precision if you go for tactics to get 100% crit chance 
Heck you could just swap in Sigil of Vision (3 seconds of all hits being crits after weapon swap), if you want a lot of crits.
Sigil of Cleansing might also be worth picking up for a very controlled condi cleanse option (3 removed on swap)

Another option if you completely swap away from the signets investments, you could go invest in shouts instead, which would give you a better heal in my opinion, a better stunbreak (AoE stunbreak + barrier) and a bit more AoE condi cleanse with a rune swap.  I would do something like this:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwEE6MsMD2KLkpxcxR7aP+Wi7DD-zRYYSUfVFahUT5Ci6UaUC0tSLnRQPDSVdACYP8acwZE-e
I also feel Turtle pet is worth taking when they fix the AI for AoE Projectilee destroying bubble alone.

But I find your build concept cool and I can see why it's fun. Haven't been able to check it out proberly myself but; Axe ambush hits up to 5 targets, does it remove 2 boons from each target or only the first? I have kinda asumed it's all 5 targets

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Amadeus.5687 said:

I assume the build is meant to be run in zerg setups?

Not sure I'm digging the deep investment into signets for the extra fury application in that case, in special not when you run solider/knight  stat mostly and don't have that much ferocity to begin with.
Might be worth it if you were running Valkyrie or more Caviler in the spots were you run Knights now? You don't really need the precision if you go for tactics to get 100% crit chance 
Heck you could just swap in Sigil of Vision (3 seconds of all hits being crits after weapon swap), if you want a lot of crits.
Sigil of Cleansing might also be worth picking up for a very controlled condi cleanse option (3 removed on swap)

Another option if you completely swap away from the signets investments, you could go invest in shouts instead, which would give you a better heal in my opinion, a better stunbreak (AoE stunbreak + barrier) and a bit more AoE condi cleanse with a rune swap.  I would do something like this:
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwEE6MsMD2KLkpxcxR7aP+Wi7DD-zRYYSUfVFahUT5Ci6UaUC0tSLnRQPDSVdACYP8acwZE-e
I also feel Turtle pet is worth taking when they fix the AI for AoE Projectilee destroying bubble alone.

But I find your build concept cool and I can see why it's fun. Haven't been able to check it out proberly myself but; Axe ambush hits up to 5 targets, does it remove 2 boons from each target or only the first? I have kinda asumed it's all 5 targets

I use it in Zergs yes.  It's good in 1v1s too.  You're quite durable.  

In zergs, you're not necessarily the first one in, but also not back line.  Pretty much tossing Axes the whole time, then when commander goes in i use elite, swap to GS with Signet and hit an Ambush. Block, into next signet and Maul.  Usually that's all there is for that skirmish.  I see  your point with the Valkyrie - this is why i'm looking for feedback, precision is wasted since opening strikes are 100% crits. 

Not sure i can give up the signets, when i didn't have "Hunt" i found my ambush getting blocked.  If i don't have "Stone" wells, traps, etc hurt too much, even with the toughness.

Protect me isn't bad at all, just need the condicleanse and a stun break from the cantrip.

The Axe throws at 5 targets around you(900range).  It's fantastic!  Removes boons from all targets hit.  Longbow is "near" the target, while Axe is around you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, mikexg.7329 said:

Are "commands" on ranger considered "shouts" ?

Sadly no.  We basically lost our entire condi cleanse from BM viaTrooper rune by them changing ranger shouts to commands. 

They of course never did anything with commands, so they are just useless reclassification for past 3 years now.  

Edited by Gotejjeken.1267
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Sadly no.  We basically lost our entire condi cleanse from BM viaTrooper rune by them changing ranger shouts to commands. 

They of course never did anything with commands, so they are just useless reclassification for past 3 years now.  

Cool - that is what I thought, but I was not able to login and check.  Previous post said to swap into shouts and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what the ranger shout skills were.

kitten rangers need some love

• Like 1