A few noob mesmer pvp questions.

I'm approaching level 70 on my mesmer and not sure what elite spec I want to choose. So far it's a toss up between virtuoso and chrono. Need a few noob questions answered. 

1. How does mesmer stealth work in pvp. If I have a phantasm already spawned and use stealth, will my phantasm break my stealth when it attacks?

2. If my phantasm is attacking a thief and the thief stealths than reappears, will that phantasm continue attacking the thief when he reappears?

3. Is the Chorno shatter 4 skill similar to a boon that can be stolen if you wait 6 seconds to use the continuum shift?

4. I read discussions about the general uselessness of phantasms for pvp in 2+ year old threads, but does that still pertain to 2022 pvp?

Edited by Smart College Boy.3249
added more detail to step 3

7 minutes ago, Smart College Boy.3249 said:

I'm approaching level 70 on my mesmer and not sure what elite spec I want to choose. So far it's a toss up between virtuoso and chrono. Need a few noob questions answered. 

1. How does mesmer stealth work in pvp. If I have a phantasm already spawned and use stealth, will my phantasm break my stealth when it attacks?

No

2. If my phantasm is attacking a thief and the thief stealths than reappears, will that phantasm continue attacking the thief when he reappears?

Phantasms only attack once, if it has started the attack it will track the thief in stealth, if it hasnt started the attack it will start the attack when the thief unstealths.

3. Can the Chrono shatter 4 skill be spell stolen if you wait 6 seconds to use the continuum shift?

What do you mean?

4. I read discussions about the general uselessness of phantasms for pvp in 2+ year old threads, but does that still pertain to 2022 pvp?

Some of them are bad (like staff) some are good (like greatsword)

1 minute ago, agrippastrilemma.8741 said:

Phantasms only attack once, if it has started the attack it will track the thief in stealth, if it hasnt started the attack it will start the attack when the thief unstealths.

Wait, so a phantasm only does a single attack in pvp? That seems kind of useless considering many of them have moderately long cooldowns. They just despawn or stand there useless after that single attack?

2 minutes ago, agrippastrilemma.8741 said:

3. Can the Chrono shatter 4 skill be spell stolen if you wait 6 seconds to use the continuum shift?

What do you mean?

I was reading how some classes can steal boons and was wondering if that continuum shift shatter skill could be stolen while you wait to use it. You hit the key once to prepare and a second time to use it. Can it be stolen while waiting to use it the second time. Maybe I meant stripped away instead of stolen?

10 minutes ago, Smart College Boy.3249 said:

I was reading how some classes can steal boons and was wondering if that continuum shift shatter skill could be stolen while you wait to use it. You hit the key once to prepare and a second time to use it. Can it be stolen while waiting to use it the second time. Maybe I meant stripped away instead of stolen?

No because it's not a boon, just an effect. Boon - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)

Edited by agrippastrilemma.8741

13 minutes ago, Smart College Boy.3249 said:

Wait, so a phantasm only does a single attack in pvp? That seems kind of useless considering many of them have moderately long cooldowns. They just despawn or stand there useless after that single attack?

Phantasms only do a single attack in pve as well xd

They attack once then turn into clones which you can shatter

Edited by agrippastrilemma.8741

6 hours ago, Smart College Boy.3249 said:

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'll be playing a condi bleed Virtuoso because of all the phantasm limitations making my Chorno phantasm build seem useless. Glad I asked these questions before hitting 80 🙂 

Hold on.

If you take chronophantasma on your chronomancer, they attack twice (at half damage the second time).

Also you can just... jump into pvp and try out the builds for free. PVP scales you up to level 80 and has a seperate gear system (that is also free)

instead of having to plan now, jump into pvp and try all the mesmer specs. see which one you like by speccing into it and hitting the training dummies there.

Condi virtuoso is better than chrono atm, just wanted to point out there's a grandmaster that lets phantasms reset and attack again.

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261

3 hours ago, Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

Keep in mind you can pvp with a level 1 character and already have the elite specs unlocked in the pvp lobby.

Yea, but the gear you get might not be enough to try for the spec you want to play. 

I would need 100% crit for the bleed condi Virtuoso spec I want to try. 

I definitely plan on playing Virtuoso. The only thing I am not sure of is whether to try the blocking build or the bleeding build. Seems like the bleeding build would do better in large groups, but if I want to run around with 1 or 2 friends than I'd die to fast because it has near zero defense.

11 hours ago, Smart College Boy.3249 said:

Yea, but the gear you get might not be enough to try for the spec you want to play. 

I definitely plan on playing Virtuoso. The only thing I am not sure of is whether to try the blocking build or the bleeding build. Seems like the bleeding build would do better in large groups, but if I want to run around with 1 or 2 friends than I'd die to fast because it has near zero defense.

If you are playing pvp you have to use pvp amulets. Pve gear doesnt affect your stats at all.

21 hours ago, Smart College Boy.3249 said:

Although some skills can be reset with interrupt so don't get stunned when casting

12 hours ago, Smart College Boy.3249 said:

Play whatever you find fun especially since you are new, however a word of warning, the bleed build sucks and the block build is much better in PvP.