Is Balthazar a weaver?

Michram.6853

I doubt Balthazar is specifically a weaver, what's more likely is that he can just create fancy fire spells that, for the playable races, would require a second element inserted for those mostly fire effects.

We've also seen something similar with someone who actually doesn't use elemental fire, but another kind of magic all together, a guardian (or smiting monk) named

minister estelle

, and guardians/monks have NO interaction with the element of air (as far as we know), thus blue fire tornados can JUST be a fire effect (it wouldn't even be complicated for the former GOD of fire to create fire and have it rotate in a manner similar to a tornado).

But there's also one bit that also contradicts the need for Balthazar to use air to create a fire tornado, and it's been in the game for a while

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Overload_Fire

"Unleash all flames you've accumulated, searing enemies and strengthening allies. Finishing the cast leaves a tornado behind. Using this skill causes the attunement to have longer recharge."

Aka even mortal elementalists don't need to use air to create fire tornados.

More than likely, the use of the skill was just an animation convenience over any specific piece of lore suggesting Balthazar is a weaver.

Do Gods have a set profession? I think the professions are more to base themselfs upon the Gods powers, and not the gods have powers equal to us.

Like Balthazar problably is well versed in using Warrior based skills (warrior+berserker+weaver) and perhabs way more, has he is the god of blade, fire and war.Like Dwayna would be more versed to be prayed upon by a Guardian and his healing/ light based skills.Or a necromancer that has skills that workship Grenth himself.

I see it more like that way :)

Well I think you are likely right, but do we know what's story behind the weaver is, and it looks like the sword on the picture I putted on shows one of the weaver's skills. Air with Fire creates the Pyro Vortex.

Anyway it can be true that Balthazar might be a weaver especially after consuming Jormag's magic as well.

I don't know, but i would like to see Balthazar as the patron for Weavers. :)

@Ashgard.5132 said:Do Gods have a set profession? I think the professions are more to base themselfs upon the Gods powers, and not the gods have powers equal to us.

Like Balthazar problably is well versed in using Warrior based skills (warrior+berserker+weaver) and perhabs way more, has he is the god of blade, fire and war.Like Dwayna would be more versed to be prayed upon by a Guardian and his healing/ light based skills.Or a necromancer that has skills that workship Grenth himself.

Except that only works for humans (and even then, like Marjory, some humans don't really worship the gods), so sylvari necromancers for instance would in no way interact with grenth and DEFINITELY not any charr necromancers.

Also, weaver is elementalist, not warrior, though Balthazar is a patron to fire elementalists, but weavers use multiple elements so it does seem like a purely weaver thing. in fact weaver would have NO business being based on any of the gods, seeing as lyssa has water, grenth has ice, balthazar has fire, dwayna has air and melandru has earth, so basing weaver off of a SINGLE god doesn't work, neither, really, does anything elementalist or tempest.

Engineers also don't really have a patron, neither do revenants (though it's possible that Grenth becomes the patron of revenants in place of ritualists).

But honestly? while those themes may have held true for the original Guild Wars, no such lore is present in Guild Wars 2, especially since the focus has been taken away from humans and spread onto all five races, meaning the patronage no longer works.

@castlemanic.3198 said:

@Ashgard.5132 said:Do Gods have a set profession? I think the professions are more to base themselfs upon the Gods powers, and not the gods have powers equal to us.

Except that only works for humans (and even then, like Marjory, some humans don't really worship the gods), so sylvari necromancers for instance would in no way interact with grenth and DEFINITELY not any charr necromancers.

[...]

But honestly? while those themes may have held true for the original Guild Wars, no such lore is present in Guild Wars 2, especially since the focus has been taken away from humans and spread onto all five races, meaning the patronage no longer works.

I think you're overthinking what Ashgard meant. In GW1, professions were much more heavily tied to the gods and the gods' ties to the spread of magic would have undoubtably indirectly influenced the professions by cultural practices that would in turn spread across other cultures and even races over the millennia, rather than the modern individuals saying "I worship x god so I will become y profession".

@Arden.7480 said:Well I think you are likely right, but do we know what's story behind the weaver is, and it looks like the sword on the picture I putted on shows one of the weaver's skills. Air with Fire creates the Pyro Vortex.

Anyway it can be true that Balthazar might be a weaver especially after consuming Jormag's magic as well.

I don't know, but i would like to see Balthazar as the patron for Weavers. :)

Even if Balthazar can now use ice magic, that doesn't explain the use of air and lightning.

What does, however, is the fact that every location of heavy concentrated magic has lightning appearing throughout. Go to Drakkar Spurs or to the skies of Arah and there will be sparks of lightning in the air, IIRC.

The lightning effects could just be a showcase of "EXTREME MAGIC!!!" around the sword.

I think the closest elite spec to Balthazar is probably the Berserker.

From a broader perspective, as people have said, the gods do not fit nicely into the box of a single profession. Those who've done the appropriate instances would know that the avatar of Balthazar is essentially a mix of warrior and fire elementalist. Balthazar was also a patron to smiting monks and more aggressive paragons, too, so he probably has a lot of guardian stuff in his metaphorical toolbox, too. And being a god, and having absorbed a lot of magic from other sources, it's entirely possible that this range only represents his preferences, not his full range of capabilities. It's quite possible that Balthazar has all the capabilities of warriors, elementalists, and guardians combined, and possibly plenty of capabilities outside those professions as well, it's just that his preference is to burn things and hit them with a big sword.

@Pixlboy.5296 said:First of all Balthazar is a god.I don't think we should assign him or other gods to any mortal category or specific class/spec.I would rather not overanalyze this, it's not D&D that everyone has class even gods.

This ....

Balthazar is a Legendary god. The gods aren't like Queen Jennah for instance who is a Mesmer, or Rytlock who is a Warrior/Revanant.

Archived