Fishing speed

The speed changes which can be bit frustrating at times. Usually it slows down at some point so you can catch up to the puck.
I usually change direction before the puck reaches end of the bar because it rarely goes to the very end. You'll learn to anticipate the movements a bit. Also if it keeps changing direction rapidly it'll most likely do it multiple times and then settle down. Recommend to wait till it's done with the rapid movements.

1 hour ago, Lumpalish.4205 said:

Hello! It is nice to meet you all! How do you unlock fishing?

By completing the first chapter Old Friends of the End of Dragons story. Should reward you with fishing rod and some lures. Check your hero panel under fishing. If you didn't get it unlocked then contact support.

Edited by Jukhy.2431
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, EyzKold.8247 said:

The speed of the green hockey puck is way too fast for me  to keep up with. 

There's two sides to the fishing equation, your fishing power and the requirements for the part of the world you are fishing in.

Fishing power is based on a variety of factors, such as bait, lure, food eaten and mastery levels (including the fishing party mastery under skiff piloting).
Each region of the world has different levels of fishing difficulty. Maybe a little counter-intuitive, but the EoD maps are the easiest places to fish, whereas some fishing holes in low level maps (e.g. polluted lake fish in Kessex Hills) are moderate to high difficulty.
The wiki has all the required info:
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fishing_Power#Recommended_Fishing_Power
If your fishing power >= required level, you will see a green hook icon while fighting the fish and the fight will generally be slower/more relaxed.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your replies.  My fishing is maxed out but no food 😞  Costepj, thank you for the link.  That helps a lot.  My total fishing power is rather low...225 to 250.  I will stick with EOD maps for a while longer.  My eye hand coordination just isn't good anymore.  I'm still in hopes that the green puck gets changed to something else.  A simple circle on the water and hitting one key would be nice....heh a net or jug fishing would be more of my style 😁

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Food makes a massive difference - and turns fishing into a relatively relaxing pursuit. 

Orangefish sushi is presently 10s each on TP, and gives you a +150 fishing power - with a further +100 from being well fed. 

Even tough areas like Orr then become a doddle. 

• Confused 1

56 minutes ago, Hashberry.4510 said:

The mini game makes it a chore rather than a relaxing diversion.

That depends - the more you do it, the easier it gets (just like everything else). After completing all the fishing achies it's pretty much automatic activity for me, meaning I don't have to think what I'm doing. I'd compare it to playing a very simple LI build.

NEVER fish without sushi-food outside of EoD! Even the cheapest, blue quality food that costs under 4 silver gives you 150 fishing power (higher quality only increases magic find. not sure if this would help catching rare fish for achievements more easily).

The minigame seems to be a very dividing experience, some like it some hate it. I for myself like it and think fishing would be very dull if it was just "press one to release, press again to get fish". And it really not that hard! I never ever missed a fish outside of the occations I was ill-prepared (low fishing power) and had difficulty on red. And I'm pretty sure people who complain about the difficulty more often than not are just ill-prepared. So max your mastery, stock up on lure and bait and have that sushi ready for a smooth experience. 👍

• Like 1