Unacceptable LAG

Since the recent game updates my ping has gone from 300ms (common in Australia, in order to reach N/A servers with a lot of server hops/gateways) to over 400ms, which many N/A customers would regard as "unplayable".

When world bosses are concerned, it spikes to well over 2 seconds which really DOES become unplayable.

Has ANet had a change in servers recently? I've had no changes to my current setup and my speedtests are nominal compared to this time last year.

To compound this, there's added lag with anything from a weapon swap to a simple deposit of materials or compacting of inventory bags.

Just tried to get a gauge on what's actually happening through pingplottter, and I'm getting 100% packet loss through ALL of the "amazonaws.com" servers. If I hit F11 in the game to see what kind of ping I'm actually getting, some maps won't even report the ping (just appears as '0').

Can we get word on what exactly has happened to make this worse than it already was, if there was anything relatively recent?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

There was an update to a FEW world bosses in starter-maps recently, but i doubt these changes can cause this kind of problems (other than maybe attracting more players).

List of changes:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2022-07-19

The problem may not be caused by the gw2 servers. You already mentioned "a lot of server hops/gateways". Something else between you and the gw2 servers may be causing this problem for you.

Maybe other Australian players can give you some tips, but please do not expect a reply from Support here. If you want help from Support, then you need to make a support ticket:

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us

Nah, pointless trying to get help from support as they always try to put it back onto me. Because it's "never them".😂 I'd say it would be something in between me and the servers if the timing weren't the way it was (right after an update).

I'm aware of the update changes, and I can't see anything that would cause such a monumental lag issue. I've been in world boss maps before this update, which had FAR more players than what I've been experiencing lately, and still not had anything like the amount of lag.

I get the impression that if I find out what's causing the packet loss, then I might be halfway home.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Valandil Dragonhart.2371 said:

Nah, pointless trying to get help from support as they always try to put it back onto me. Because it's "never them".😂 I'd say it would be something in between me and the servers if the timing weren't the way it was (right after an update).

I'm aware of the update changes, and I can't see anything that would cause such a monumental lag issue. I've been in world boss maps before this update, which had FAR more players than what I've been experiencing lately, and still not had anything like the amount of lag.

I get the impression that if I find out what's causing the packet loss, then I might be halfway home.

ArenaNet doesn't run the servers, AWS (Amazon Webservices) does. Also, their servers don't respond to ping, so you have to ping the last hop just before AWS instead.

You should be getting ~270ms, as my friend in Australia/Victoria does. Anything else is indicative of a local problem, such as using Wi-Fi (just don't), poor quality copper lines for DSL, or just your ISP or telco being neglectful of the infastructure, which is extremely common there.

If you're on the west coast then I'd say 300ms at the most would be considered normal.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

ArenaNet doesn't run the servers, AWS (Amazon Webservices) does. Also, their servers don't respond to ping, so you have to ping the last hop just before AWS instead.

You should be getting ~270ms, as my friend in Australia/Victoria does. Anything else is indicative of a local problem, such as using Wi-Fi (just don't), poor quality copper lines for DSL, or just your ISP or telco being neglectful of the infastructure, which is extremely common there.

If you're on the west coast then I'd say 300ms at the most would be considered normal.

I'm on the east coast, and 250ms used to be normal. Still, depending on the servers, I'm taking not less than 15 hops and about 40 at most.

I'm swapping in between my NBN Fixed Wireless (tragic, 25MB/sec because we're rural) and my mobile phone's hotspot (4G at best, similar speeds). There doesn't seem to be much of a difference between the two when comparing speed tests and ping, but the result through to ANet's servers is nearly identical. As mentioned earlier, the lag wasn't anywhere near this bad pre-update.

I don't have any trouble buffering up youtube vids or playing other online games, it's just GW2's servers that seems to be posing the biggest problems.

22 hours ago, Valandil Dragonhart.2371 said:

ince the recent game updates my ping has gone from 300ms (common in Australia, in order to reach N/A servers with a lot of server hops/gateways) to over 400ms, which many N/A customers would regard as "unplayable".

and here i am... raging when my ping goes above 70, because you have no chance to react in pvp.... 😅

poor you, really... :C

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Sahne.6950 said:

and here i am... raging when my ping goes above 70, because you have no chance to react in pvp.... 😅

poor you, really... :C

Yeah I stay out of PvP because I'm not blessed with sub-100ms ping. I'm in the wrong country for that.

• Haha 1

Unfortunately that sounds normal for fixed Wireless and cellular connections. The more customers per tower for either service the worse your latency numbers will get as the tower radios and equipment get overwhelmed and start dropping packets. Is there any option for land based connections(DSL, cable, or fiber)? Have you tired ordering Starlink as that should be available in Australia?

• Sad 1