Let us transfer our account to Steam

tbh i dont feel like playing through steam, i find it just fine to run through gw2 client itself, tho with that said as i am a hoarder / achievement collector and what not on steam it would be lovely to atleast be able to unlock all that stuff with our current accounts, in regards to payments and what not, i dont mind using gw2 directly as i never / barely had any issues in the past with it, i think maybe 2 or 3 times out of many purchases my gems was delayed but beside of that never had an issue. Another point to argue in this is that if u buy through steam u would normally get steam points to use in their steam shop which some might find reason in to buy through steam, so my biggest guess on all this would be to find a way as someone earlier mentioned, to migrate a link system towards ur gw2 / steam account, the perfect picture : i can play on my gw2 account through gw2 launcher but still let it trigger my steam achievements. If i buy gems directly from gw2 it would make sense i dont get any steam points, which im fair with as long  as i atleast can farm the achievements .

Edited by Xaint.7461

1 hour ago, Bears Man.4896 said:

@ArenaNet Team.4819I found a guide with a command line argument that allowed me to access my login information via either installing from DVD or Downloading Launcher from Website, my question is, is the use of that command line allowed I happen to read about it via Steam Community how to guide 

this is self explanairy, so as long as you dont modify the game or the files to gain advantages or similarities, breaking the ToS etc you are good to go, in this case you are not modifying anything in  regards to the game or its files as such, u are simply just making steam launch the game through non steam but 'cheating' it to act like it is through steam. thats not a game modification thats a steam modification and there is no tos against that as again this is not gaining u any advantages or alter the game or its files or anything similar to it.

On 8/17/2022 at 12:21 AM, Cronos.6532 said:
  • Steam only gets 25% revenue share after NCSOFT has made $10,000,000, and only 20% after they make $50,000,000.
    • Includes sales from existing NCSOFT titles on Steam (only Guild Wars and FUSER unfortunately)
  • Digital River / credit card companies / PayPal etc. still take a cut when you buy outside of Steam.
  • ArenaNet will lose out on sales from existing players that would be more likely to make purchases through Steam.
    • ArenaNet will also lose out on lapsed players who won't return to Guild Wars 2 because they would have to create a new account or, inconveniently, install the existing launcher.
  • Steam users can use more payment methods including funds from the Steam Community Market.
  • Steam users earn Steam Points as an added bonus, as well as Steam Trading Cards (if ArenaNet ever adds them) as a small rebate.
  • Steam helps ArenaNet automatically do regional pricing.
  • Steam does/can handle patch downloads for Guild Wars 2 worldwide, reducing ArenaNet's server costs!
  • Though FINAL FANTSY XIV Online, EVE Online, Albion Online, don't allow you to use your existing account, the following MMOs do:
    • RuneScape
    • Old School RuneScape
    • Star Wars: The Old Republic
    • MapleStory
    • MapleStory 2
    • Guild Wars
    • The Elder Scrolls Online
    • Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis
    • Black Desert (as of a recent update)
    • and many other games!
  • Some MMOs (such as New World and Lost Ark) are *only* accessed through Steam!

Since RuneScape launched on Steam in 2020, I've spent thousands on it (through Steam) but less than $150 on Guild Wars 2, even though I like Guild Wars 2 more and am willing to pay more money for it! I'm willing to spend thousands on Guild Wars 2, but I can't if it's not on Steam, and I know it's the same for many other players!

Please don't ignore this part of our feedback! Allow us to link our existing account to Steam! Go with the decision that benefits the players the most!

You summarized everything perfectly.

To add, Cryptic Studios offered regular game account linking to Steam for a limited time. Those of us who were able to do this have our Cryptic Studios account linked to Steam (Neverwinter Online and Star Trek Online).

Cryptic Studios always to it this way. When they started offering their games another platform (competitor of Steam) they also offered linking for a limited time.

ArenaNet can do the same. Offer linking for a limited time. However, you will probably have to unlink accounts too because when you launch GW2 via Steam it automatically creates a new account. So, if ever ArenaNet will offer a limited time "Steam link" period, they also have to automatically delete/unlink accounts which were automatically created so the link can proceed properly. There are other game studios who offer manual unlinking and linking provided they are a long time player. In Guild Wars 2's case, that could be players who played since launch + bought at least 1 expansion. It is a good loyalty "reward".

On 8/23/2022 at 2:27 AM, folly dragon.4126 said:

Thank you for trying to give me your constructive thought here. If they are losing money to folks paying through Steam, they should not have done that. Furthermore, since you stated that, does that not mean we should get things 30% cheaper since we are not going through Steam? Realistically, they could easily let us access out accounts through Steam, we would just not be able to purchase gems through Steam if we are not a Steam account and it is absurd to believe otherwise. If the problem really was just buying the game via Steam, then as stated, I would pay the 100 bucks. But again, just sending them my feedback on it, that is all, not that the will do anything. 

If all you want, or if you are fine with not buying stuff from Steam, you can add this in your Steam-GW2 settings: -provider:Portal

The next time you launch GW2 via Steam, the GW2 launcher itself will display the username/password login instead of automatically logging-in with a Steam account.

Just never ever forget that it will not link your regular GW2 account with your Steam account. Any purchases you make via Steam will only be credited to your Steam account, it will not show in your regular GW2 account.

I've encountered other game companies/publishers who are willing to transfer purchases because a purchase is a purchase and there are consumer protection laws. However, this is very rare, there are loopholes in the laws and most companies are using that. (However in China they can't do that, the State almost always side with the consumer. How ironic.) The solution of other game companies is to reverse the transaction, provided it was reported within 24-48 hours. The reason for this is that once, say Steam, sends the payouts, it becomes very, very, very complicated to do purchase reversals. Not sure if ArenaNet is ready for this (if they have processes in place already).

In any case, one thing you should never ever do if you make a mistake purchasing in Steam: call your bank and have it reversed. Your account will be permanently banned. Either you reverse it again by paying for it, or create a new account.

On 8/21/2022 at 9:51 AM, Tesseden.8067 said:

I think it still works with Proton if you add it as a third-party game on Steam.

It's hit and miss. On my end I've never made it to work as "add a non-steam game" but it works fine as a Steam-native game (after the official launch). So the latter is guaranteed to work than the old way "add a non-steam game".

In any case, those who want to play via Steam with their regular account can use this command line "-provider:Portal", simply add it in Steam-GW2 configuration (gear icon). A fair warning, it will NOT link your account to Steam so never buy stuff via Steam. (You can just copy Gw2.dat file to the Steam-GW2 folder; or symlink the file or entire "Guild Wars 2" folder.)

• 1 year later...
6 minutes ago, Bias.4306 said:

Any update on this? Switching from a windows to chromeos device and can only run GW2 on steam. Dont want to restart my account.

Well consdering they said years before it was ever released on steam it wont be possible migrate to steam, how are you expecting any news on it?