Tank Class?

Dead.7385

Tanks don't work as they traditionally do in other mmos; however, you can't exactly go wrong with guardian as they might be what you are looking for.

Classes are alot more fluid in this game so some classes have tank options but may not be what your looking for. For example a mesmer can tank using the elite spec chronomancer but is mostly a dps class 

Engineer can tank using the scrapper elite specialization but they are mostly a supportive dps with other specs 

Sufficed to say if you Want to know what some meta builds are I suggest checking either Snowcrows or Hardstuck as they generally keep upto meta builds on their sites

Edited by Demented Lemur.7861
Adding more info
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Artemis.8034 said:

Healbrand, healmech, chrono is still tanky, personally I love tanks I wish there was more engagement with content that used tanks.  

It shows up from time to time in the overworld.  All of the enemies have different aggro mechanics, and some of them are noticeably drawn to high toughness characters.  A particular example is the Anomaly at the bottom of Bloodstone Fen.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dead.7385 said:

I have been away from the game since around Fractals were new.  I hear that tanks are a thing in the game now.

I usually play tanks in most MMO's, what classes are generally considered good or META tanks for group <PVE> content?

Another worthy mention is the Taunt Controlling Effect. Its not used to control aggression of bosses rather on anything that doesn't have a Break Bar(Ads). 

• Guardian (Firebrand)
  • Ranger (pet Trait)
  • Revenant (Core)
  • Warrior (Spellbreaker)
  • Mesmer (Core)

With Mesmer being the most reliable source of taunt

• Thanks 1

There is no traditional tank role in this game.

As a healer though you don't deal much damage anyways so there is room to build minstrel gear, giving you optimal stats for supporting while also making you super tanky.

Current healers are tempest, scrapper, mechanist, druid, firebrand, revenant.

You might also enjoy heal scourge or specter.

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, Dead.7385 said:

I have been away from the game since around Fractals were new.  I hear that tanks are a thing in the game now.

I usually play tanks in most MMO's, what classes are generally considered good or META tanks for group <PVE> content?

think that in this game there are mainly 3 tank stiles in pve, either by who has the most thoughness, wich is a stat diferent from defense, thoughness increasing defense but defense itself being born from the armor defense stat, being heavy medium and light diferent defense armor stiles, and thoughness, to sum up, you can use a light armor like ele or chrono and work as tank because you build thoughness on your armor.

the 2 stile would be a boss mecanic, either taking certain object that marks you as target or getting far from the boss in certain moments can make you become the tank.

and the third would be the random tank, when on some bosses every person can become the tank and the bos changes its target periodically.

with all this said, most bosses dont require you to have excesive efenses and life to tank, chrono is great because it has several block skills or invulnerable skills.

Then you need to think about what to do for your groups, usually a power dps needs 3 stats power, prec, and ferocity, adding a 4 one makes one of the other 3 lower significantly, a healer/sup, usually just needs healing power and concentration, while condi need expertise and condition dmg, the best is usually for a suport to tank, as concentration and healing power usually are the lest punished for bringing thoughness, a suport dps can also tank, as for a dps tank... well you usually loose too much dmg so its not as worth as a suport.

• Thanks 1

Depends on what you want to build for / do on the side, really.  Guardian (as a healer spec), Warrior (mace + shield with shouts), or Necromancer can all tank fairly well.  Even mesmer, if you focus heavily into illusions.

Some quick and dirty sample builds:

1. Core Guardian Healer:  http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?PWwAk6ZlJwCZfML2JeKT1LVA-zRRUPRHWNsSBOOoCo6II9EQkBA- 
    Primarily runs Mace + Shield for dishing out fast heals with Symbol of Faith, but can swap to staff for wider-area healing and support with Holy Strike and Empower.  High armor yet only moderate HP, but its ability to heal will overcome this, if you don't mind relatively slow fights.
  2. Core Warrior Frontliner:   http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?PKgAk6lFwwYWsKWJOcP7JXA-zRIUf0wPIw5aFQwEwzAA-e
    Your shouts can remove conditions and heal you, and you'll be regularly gaining HP from quite a few sources.  Near-constant Weakness application with a lengthy duration might not be great on break-bars (though Mace + Shield loadout are), but you'll take far less damage and dish out a free +10% more damage on top of it.  At 3651 armor, this thing is tough, but not the best for damage.
  3. Core Necromancer Minion Master:  http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?PSwAgiZlFwmYVMK2IeqTeLNA-zRQUfwS0xGD4chKw/AA-e
    Able to generate HP (and Barrier!) from literally everything it does, and with a get-out-of-jail-free card built into Shroud, laugh maniacally as you /say "haha minion machine go brrrrrrrrrr" -- or just use Dark Pact + Life Siphon for massive additional healing.  Comfortably sits around 3100 armor with all minions, and with 29k health, you're the unlife of the party, with rather consistent damage.
Edited by itspomf.9523
  • Like 1