Accessing content in expansions & Living World Episodes only available after Lvl-80?

Celthon.6284

I played the game for less than two weeks in late 2018, so for all intents and purposes I'm brand new to Guild Wars.

Started playing again recently -- purchased 2-expansions (Heart of Thorns & Path of Fire); not a 'Steam' account if it has any bearing on my question.

Whilst looking at the various sections in my character's 'Story Journal' the listings under the 'Living World' episodes, as well as the listings in the 'Heart of Thorns' & 'Path of Fire' all have orange text "This episode will become playable at level 80".

Am I correct in thinking I cannot access the maps for either of the two expansions I bought until after I reach lvl-80; or can I access the area but all NPC's I'd encounter will be lvl-80 and I'd die rapidly, so pointless to try to get there?

Have been following the "My Story" quest-line...but had the thought I'd like to get the 'Springer' mount and when I started researching how to earn that mount I saw the "...playable at level 80" text noted above.

So, after all that rambling -- am I correct in that I need to wait until I've reached lvl-80 to get into the content in the 2 expansions I bought?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

You can get your raptor mount early, but, it requires you to go into the first story mission in PoF in someone else's story instance.  You'll die in the fight, but, they can res you and then you can complete the heart in the first are and get the raptor saddle from the heart vendor before leaving the village.  It's a little spoilery for story, but, that will unlock raptor for all of your characters.  I've taken a level 30 person with me to unlock their raptor.  Springer actually comes in the second map of PoF - Desert Highlands - and you have to train up the 3rd raptor mastery before you can even get the springer.

There are exits from the guild halls into the HoT (2) and PoF (1) maps.  It's been a really long time, but, I think those were blocked until you had at least one level 80 toon on your account - I vaguely remember running into that on my alt account.  Once you have a level 80, though, you can walk your lower level toons out of the guild hall into Verdant Brink, Auric Basin, or the Domain of Vabbi.  I've done that to get a level 50-60 toon to the flax farm in Verdant Brink.  You will die if you aggro anything, even on a mount, but, it can be done.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Celthon.6284 said:

I played the game for less than two weeks in late 2018, so for all intents and purposes I'm brand new to Guild Wars.

Started playing again recently -- purchased 2-expansions (Heart of Thorns & Path of Fire); not a 'Steam' account if it has any bearing on my question.

Whilst looking at the various sections in my character's 'Story Journal' the listings under the 'Living World' episodes, as well as the listings in the 'Heart of Thorns' & 'Path of Fire' all have orange text "This episode will become playable at level 80".

Am I correct in thinking I cannot access the maps for either of the two expansions I bought until after I reach lvl-80; or can I access the area but all NPC's I'd encounter will be lvl-80 and I'd die rapidly, so pointless to try to get there?

Have been following the "My Story" quest-line...but had the thought I'd like to get the 'Springer' mount and when I started researching how to earn that mount I saw the "...playable at level 80" text noted above.

So, after all that rambling -- am I correct in that I need to wait until I've reached lvl-80 to get into the content in the 2 expansions I bought?

Thank you for your time and assistance.

The expansions come with lv80 boosts, use one on an alt so you can go get your mounts or other lv80 exclusive content, while continuing to play through the main story on your levelling character. Afterrwards you can make your alt into a mule to store excess items from your bank.

You will have to play some of Path of Fire story so no avoiding spoilers there. Its up to you.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508

3 hours ago, Celthon.6284 said:

all NPC's I'd encounter will be lvl-80 and I'd die rapidly, so pointless to try to get there?

Just to add to all the replies above which pretty much covered your question. Don't try to farm on any maps with any characters that are lower than the map's level except for parking alts in safe areas. Mobs will detect you from very far away and you'll die very.......never mind, you're dead. Not worth the effort.

I believe you can access the maps for the first time either by being sidekicked through someone else's story missons or once you have the relevant map teleporting scroll or device - Hot you can just run to once it's been unlocked once. I regularly level my alts in expansion areas but if you don't know the maps or the encounters you will just be dead and not gain any benefit from being there. Extremely good exp if you make it through. One of the Hot metas particularly is very easy to get exp on without contributing damage or support, just have to participate in the non-combat parts to get credit. But otherwise I definitely wouldn't recommend doing this as a new player. 

Edited by Luna.2158