Flavor text around points of interest and areas would be awesome!

cyhadam.3082

I don't know what is the best way for ANet to see this but I think it would be amazing if there could be some flavor text or lore added to the areas or points of interest to the maps.  Like why were certain places named the way they were.  ANet has already done an amazing job with adding lore books, thank you! If you could just add the above, that would be super cool.

Here: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kessex_Hills.. For example, why is there an area called Earthlord's Gap? Is there an actual Earthlord, who or what is it? What is Mock's Niche? Who is Mock? https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mock%27s_Niche

Just a couple of examples where some flavor text upon discovering a new area or completing exploring an area would be helpful

• Like 8

The lack of a "journal"-like system (not the story journal / log, but more akin to single-player, lore-heavy game's) is probably the biggest hurdle to realizing this.

The reason I say this is that I was originally going to comment saying that "libraries" could be maintained in the major cities (if not the Priory itself, being the keepers of knowledge that they are), but ... we'd still be clicking through book dialogues to read it all, which isn't very player-friendly, nevermind the process of finding the right tome (examples of this exist in Orr, Vabbi, Kourna, etc., but are sparing at best).  Same issue that hovering over a discovered region / point of interest / whatever and showing a pop-up blob of text on the map is just more visual clutter.

We've got the odd lore NPC scattered about, but the same problem exists there as well.

So really, the only way would make sense is to keep a special "cartographer's guild journal" (to tie into the map- and world-complete rewards and letters you receive) which serves as a list of all discovered regions, points of interest, and named areas so that players can read about everything they've come across.

While a significant undertaking on the development side, it'd give players an opt-in solution that doesn't require digging through interaction-enabled objects and clutter in the game-world while simultaneously fulfilling OP's request of more accessible lore.

Edited by itspomf.9523
fixing typos
  • Like 2

I really like this idea, and an implementation along the lines of what itspomf suggested would be a really cool feature to have (it reminds me of something SWTOR has, actually), but the sheer amount of areas and PoIs ANet would have to write lore for is an incredibly daunting hurdle. There are easily over a thousand areas and PoIs by now. So, if they want to do it, more power to them, but I don't see it happening any time soon.

• Like 1