Crafting Exotic to Ascended

Doolaaa.1256

Hi to all.
I started the game fresh after some years and im a bit lost when it comes to ascended crafting.
I looked up many guides but i still cant rly figure out how to get a specific type of gear from exotic to ascended.
ould you give me a quick explanation on how to get lets say Funerary Staff from exotic to ascended?

• Confused 1

Ascended items are their own items crafted from scratch (or gained from other sources like drops and merchants) not an upgrade from exotic items. Funerary Staff is an exotic staff, there is no Ascended version of it. The crafted Ascended Staff with the same stat combination (Grieving in this case) would be The Twin's Spire.

Edited by lukey.8951
  • Like 1

Oh okay, i didnt check the rarity of the item...
The one in the vid i saw was a legendary Funerary Staff ... not Ascended.
And you can buy the recipy for this example lets say from the AH?

I want to craft the Yassith's Ascended Gear and im not sure where to get the recipy for it.

Edited by Doolaaa.1256

You can change the skin on any item you have to any skin you have unlocked, so what you saw was a Legendary Staff (either Bifrost, Nevermore or Aurene's Insight) with the Funerary Staff skin applied to it.

You can get many recipes of the TP (like Yassith's Spire) and from drops around the world, in general if you don't know how to get something you can search thee wiki, either by going to the webiste or by typing "/wiki yourSearchTerm" into chat to open the wiki search.

For many of the Heart of Thorns stat combinations (like Viper's which you want to craft) it is easier to craft a core Ascended item and then change the stats via the mystic forge because you can avoid crafting Fulgurite this way.

• Like 4

If you want to transition from exotic to ascended, the first step is to look up the corresponding ascended name of the exotic stat combination you are looking for. In case of Viper stats, that would be the Yassith gear (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Yassith's_weapons)

After that it's a matter of checking which items are needed in crafting the desired item, then checking where those ingredients can be found/acquired.

There is a 15 minute video guide which explains most of the concepts:

As mentioned by lukey.8951, stat changing is a thing for most ascended gear (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stat_changing) and can be very useful when dealing with account bound or difficult to come by items for the desired stat combination.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 2

There are multiple ascended gearing guides out. Please consult any one you feel like, it would take far to long to get into every way to acquire ascended gear again.

Here are some pointers:

- you do not need ascended armor until T4 fractals (and only for the agony resistance), not even for raids

- it is advised to aim for ascended weapons and trinkets, but even that is not required for raids (though useful)

- ascended trinkets can be acquired via living world season episodes and the corresponding resources in those maps (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascended_trinket)

- most ascended items are merely a matter of throwing gold at it when crafting, usually around 30-50g per weapon

- fractals, strikes and raids have a higher chance to drop ascended gear after opening daily chests/killing a boss. all 3 of them also provide resources to "buy" desired ascended items for their respective currency

Which content you choose is up to you. I would suggest sticking to exotic gear until you are happy with your performance/build and feel comfortable to upgrade.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 2

Fractals are probably the best source for ascended armour, which makes sense as it's the only game mode that actually requires it. The catch is if you are gearing your first character, you get more drops at higher tiers but you need ascended armour to achieve the AR necessary to survive those higher tiers.

Im gunna hop in on this thread is its a relevant question.

So I found all this very helpful as I'm currently very slowly making the hms Divinity leggy rifle, my question is when iv made the Frigate(exotic) and eventually the man o war(ascended) can I equip those items then at a later date still use them for the recipe. 

Any help would be great 

1 hour ago, Bellarth.8794 said:

Im gunna hop in on this thread is its a relevant question.

So I found all this very helpful as I'm currently very slowly making the hms Divinity leggy rifle, my question is when iv made the Frigate(exotic) and eventually the man o war(ascended) can I equip those items then at a later date still use them for the recipe. 

Any help would be great 

The exotic, Frigate, you can do with what every you want. It's of no concern.

The Man-O-War is the precursor for the legendary. You can NOT stat change it via the stat change mysticndorge recipie. Well you can but it will lose its precuror function. You can change its appearance via the wardrobe function if desired, which I would advise against given the higher chance to misplace the item or mistake it for a regular ascended.

You can freely use either weapon in a build or loadout.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Doolaaa.1256 said:

Lets say if i want to farm then, is strike/Fractal the best way if i want to get them through raids?

I don't know if I understand you correctly, but if you want to get them through raids, then playing raids is the best way.

You don't require ascended gear for raiding, it is fine to start raiding with exotic gear.

2 hours ago, Doolaaa.1256 said:

Lets say if i want to farm then, is strike/Fractal the best way if i want to get them through raids?

Yes.
Also, Tequatl has a small (~3%) chance of dropping an ascended weapon box of random core stats. Ascended weapons can be stat-swapped for a small price!
Triple Trouble has a small chance of dropping a weapon or armor box.
Also, elite specialization weapons are exotic, and there is an ascended version with a unique skin in an achievement. The HoT ones are kinda expensive (slightly more expensive than crafting an ascended), but PoF and EoD ones are very, very cheap (2-5 gold).

There is a crafting calculator on gw2efficiency.com that may help you with crafting your ascended items.  It doesn't take stat-swapping into account when calculating the cheapest/most efficient way to craft an item, but, if you create an account and include an API key for your account (instructions are on the site), it can also calculate the cost/path based on the materials you already have. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1