Dear ANet: Please Re-Work Arms UPDATED 01.21.23

CalmTheStorm.2364

There are few things that rub me the wrong way about this rework.

Aegis, especially semi passive one does not fit on a warr.  A-net made very clear that any warrior defenses are to be activated by a 100% controllable and predictable player actions. Critting is either rng (if below 100%) or total fail since you'd have to stop attacking enemy at all for solid few seconds if you wanted that aegis to happen when you really need it.

Unsuspecting Foe is a great trait that is responsible for some fun and varied builds such as Cavalier or Crusader hammer zerker and what not. Additionally it works for both power and condi builds.
Unlike Burst Precision which comes at cost of losing condition focused grandmaster trait. And that is a loss you may not afford as condi warr unlike giving up on the Blademaster trait.

Speaking of condi - the grandmaster lost it's condition damage stacking. This is no small amount - 375 condition damage when fully stacked. I don't see anything that would compensate this.

Back to the "defensive line" - 200 toughness isn't much of a reward for proccing a block. Guardians get more just for having a shield equipped. Once again - unsuspecting foe is far better at this, since it directly replaces the need for 1050 points of precision if used right. So that's 1050 point of tougness you can fit in there instead..

On 1/20/2023 at 5:27 PM, ZeftheWicked.3076 said:

There are few things that rub me the wrong way about this rework.

Aegis, especially semi passive one does not fit on a warr.  A-net made very clear that any warrior defenses are to be activated by a 100% controllable and predictable player actions. Critting is either rng (if below 100%) or total fail since you'd have to stop attacking enemy at all for solid few seconds if you wanted that aegis to happen when you really need it.

Yeah this wasn't my best take.  Not that it wouldn't be good; it would actually be obnoxiously good.  All that random Aegis plus Shield 5, Full Counter, OH Sword, etc would make warrior like virtuoso, and that's not healthy for the game.

In other parts of this thread, I offered other trait ideas, including Poisoned blades and Furious strength; either of these would be a good replacement.

Unsuspecting Foe is a great trait that is responsible for some fun and varied builds such as Cavalier or Crusader hammer zerker and what not. Additionally it works for both power and condi builds.
Unlike Burst Precision which comes at cost of losing condition focused grandmaster trait. And that is a loss you may not afford as condi warr unlike giving up on the Blademaster trait.

Hard disagree. UF is an objectively terrible trait because the benefit it offers is entirely determined by whether your target is (and stays) CC'd.  They dodge, block, or have stability?  No bonus crit chance for you.  You CC them but then stunbreak?  Sorry, you're out of luck.

Contrast that with the version of UF in the OP.  You get Fury IF you CC the target AND Fury grants you extra power, regardless of the source of the Fury.

Also, the version of Burst Precision in the OP grants for extended windows of 100% crit chance triggered on burst use; this is a) under the player's control (and not dependent on the target staying CC'd), and b) superior in magnitude to the buff offered by the current UF (100% crit chance vs 50%).  Keeping UF the way it is would be redundant and ineffectual.

Speaking of condi - the grandmaster lost it's condition damage stacking. This is no small amount - 375 condition damage when fully stacked. I don't see anything that would compensate this.

A few things on this:

1) Furious only grants 375 condi dmg in PvE, not in competitive modes.  Max is 250 condi dmg in competitive.

2) Requires builds to frequently crit to gain/maintain stacks.  That's a problem since most of warrior's condi weapons don't cleave well and aren't multi-hitting attacks; would be a different story if Axe were a condi weapon and you could just Axe 5 in a group of enemies to keep up stacks.  Also, precision is not often a high priority on condi builds (unless you're running rampager...but why would you ever do that?), making it even harder to maximize the value of this trait.  It's downright impossible if you want to run something like Dire or Carrion, etc.

3) In the OP: Blademaster grants +240 expertise and +240 condi dmg if wielding a sword.  Savage cuts makes bleeding 33% more effective and provides bleed on crit.  Opportunist provides +200 condi dmg with Fury.  So...I think the potential for high condi dmg is there.

Back to the "defensive line" - 200 toughness isn't much of a reward for proccing a block. Guardians get more just for having a shield equipped. Once again - unsuspecting foe is far better at this, since it directly replaces the need for 1050 points of precision if used right. So that's 1050 point of tougness you can fit in there instead..

The trait provides a source of Fury AND grants bonus +200 toughness when you have Fury from any source.  That's pretty good value.  Guardian has a +240 toughness only when wielding a shield, meaning they a) have to take shield, and b) they lose the bonus when they swap weapons.  I'd say we're getting the better end of the deal there.  

• CalmTheStorm.2364 changed the title to Dear ANet: Please Re-Work Arms UPDATED 01.21.23
5 minutes ago, Zuko.7132 said:

Maybe it’s a lore thing. War have big big muscle but teeny tiny brain. We must be predictable. No slippery tricks allowed.

they took away our muscle too sadly. 🚫💪😓

the melee struggle actually used to make sense.

Edited by eXruina.4956
  • Confused 3

5 minutes ago, eXruina.4956 said:

they took away our muscle too sadly. 🚫💪😓

the melee struggle actually used to make sense.

Ya. Eviscerate is like a flower that was cut and has been wilting for years. I miss when we were rewarded for our telegraphs.

• Like 1