just out of curiosity

Mabi black.1824

1 hour ago, joneirikb.7506 said:

For a RvR/WvW game, having a average score makes more sense, since it will be darn near impossible to balance the minute by minute gameplay.

We try to stay with our feet firmly on the ground, and to be as concrete as possible. Nobody wants the WW revolution. No one looks at those numbers minute by minute. One of the features of the game is 24/7 all servers have it and all servers have to adapt to this. When we ask to improve the flow between servers it is implied that we ask for it in reference to this 24/7.

I don't care what happens hour after hour, I care that on week we get similar streams ( k+d similar no k/d ) players who actually play the mode. If these numbers deviate by even 15% it is still something very acceptable in a 24/7 competition. Even with such a small discrepancy the competition is credible. We can play it on par even if you surpass me (or exceed you) with the weekly flow of 15%.

No one here has ever asked for perfection. And if someone is looking for it, I'm sorry but it has to play something else.

Edited by Mabi black.1824

1 hour ago, joneirikb.7506 said:

Honestly, motivation to play when losing/outnumbered is one of the most difficult things in game design, and I have no idea how they could/should fix that.

The solution is already here. It's called server/team/kingdom. With alliances we can group and distribute as many players as you want with a limit of 500 (too high) with WR we can delete the servers to assemble them in the best possible way to get all ''similar'' servers. If you want to concede a seasonal competition to all this then players will have a reason to play for their seasonal team in the medium term (6 or 12 months / 1 or 2 year competitions)

On New Year's Eve you delete all the servers, and you rebuild new ones, and you get a long-term perspective. You enter WWW, get your team and you will play for your team. throughout the season. Please tell me what you see in all this that shouldn't work. Where is the unexpected problem we might get? And keep in mind that during the season no one prevents us from maintaining connections perhaps on a monthly and not bimonthly basis.

And keep in mind that no one prevents us from knowing paid transfers yet. for a maximum of 5% of the capacity of a server, or by reservation (you can transfer 50 players if there is a reservation of as many 50 players who take your place)

Giving a purpose to the player or giving a reason to propose their own content/time is crucial. Even more important than getting similar servers.

On 6/10/2023 at 10:46 AM, Mabi black.1824 said:

beta 7, and if I have not misunderstood the purpose of these betas as Zikory says, in fact the balance at the moment is really impressive from T1 to T5,only at the beginning but if it maintains this trend we will have a result never seen before. In any case, on Friday we check what the numbers say.

Let's get to Friday, and the most extreme numbers I read in Europe are: T1 red team 92,000 K+D and T4 blue team 70,000K+D. If you look at the numbers with which I opened this post in October 2022 the great improvement in terms of flow from T1 to T5 is evident.

Is this the only way to achieve some balance in this mode? I don't think so. But that's how Anet decided to get it. So we can say that it works. They have to add the alliance mechanic and will have to polish the algorithm several times for sure. We can and must go further, so as to obtain more similar numbers. ANET can definitely do that.

In the end, perhaps, someone will finally explain to me on the basis of which rules we will exploit all this balance between all the servers. Good game to all and we will compare next week.

• 7 months later...

Friday, January 19, 2024. beta 8 - First week ( so you can also see which beta we have reached )

the most extreme numbers that we can read in Europe are: T3 red 115,000k+d and T5 red 79,000k+d

I created this post on purpose to keep historical track of the numbers and the balance that this new mechanic is bringing. And again if you go to the opening page of this topic you can see how broken our current system is, and how much WR is actually improving it in terms of ''balance''.

Have fun everyone, and see you in the mists as usual. 😉

• 2 weeks later...

Friday 02 February 2024 beta 8 - third week.

The most extreme numbers we can read in Europe are: T1 green 74,000 K+D and T2 blue 57,000 K+D

The beta server with the least activity should be increased by its 35% to match the beta server with the highest activity. All the other 25 European servers are in the middle. I think WR proves once again its effectiveness in terms of '' balance ''

Side note: This third week's numbers show a generalized drop in player activity of about 20%. This was probably because all the other data collected was influenced by the WVW racing event involving many regular PVE players. In addition to proving that the k+d parameter is a good parameter with which to ''measure'' server activity (flow)

2 hours ago, Mabi black.1824 said:

Friday 02 February 2024 beta 8 - third week.

The most extreme numbers we can read in Europe are: T1 green 74,000 K+D and T2 blue 57,000 K+D

The beta server with the least activity should be increased by its 35% to match the beta server with the highest activity. All the other 25 European servers are in the middle. I think WR proves once again its effectiveness in terms of '' balance ''

Side note: This third week's numbers show a generalized drop in player activity of about 20%. This was probably because all the other data collected was influenced by the WVW racing event involving many regular PVE players. In addition to proving that the k+d parameter is a good parameter with which to ''measure'' server activity (flow)

In the end these betas are just moments where they run double xp and as such more people are playing overall. I'm not convinced these betas prove anything (yet). Once they get to phase 2, I'd like to see them run a beta for a month or two without double xp. Then we'll see a bit more of what will be going on for real.

And, well, balance entails a lot of things and during this beta I'm still hearing the usual complaints as before, so there may be more interactions going on but the only thing I've noticed so far is that there's more group play in the evening and that at times there aren't roamers to retake camps. When the timer runs out usually the roamers are there to instantly take it back. The last few days I've seen them go minutes without being taken back.

So yeah, there's more group fights but there's still the difference between a 40-man pug group (including stragglers) against a 15-man boon ball and guess who won? So yeah, there's still all sorts of differences that WR will not resolve and those are more urgent afaic.

39 minutes ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

In the end these betas are just moments where they run double xp and as such more people are playing overall. I'm not convinced these betas prove anything (yet). Once they get to phase 2, I'd like to see them run a beta for a month or two without double xp. Then we'll see a bit more of what will be going on for real.

And, well, balance entails a lot of things and during this beta I'm still hearing the usual complaints as before, so there may be more interactions going on but the only thing I've noticed so far is that there's more group play in the evening and that at times there aren't roamers to retake camps. When the timer runs out usually the roamers are there to instantly take it back. The last few days I've seen them go minutes without being taken back.

So yeah, there's more group fights but there's still the difference between a 40-man pug group (including stragglers) against a 15-man boon ball and guess who won? So yeah, there's still all sorts of differences that WR will not resolve and those are more urgent afaic.

Agree, run the bonus events before and after the beta but not during to get a better gauge of WR versus bonus to better measure WR versus normal weeks. We can expect some players to not engage in the WR but what percentage is that versus over inflating population with players that don't normally engage in the regular weeks? I think the bonus events impact is higher but I don't have access to those data sets so this is an assumption. But I do see more, how does all this work questions, during bonus XP weeks than normal weeks so there are indicators of where the question comes from.

2 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Agree, run the bonus events before and after the beta but not during to get a better gauge of WR versus bonus to better measure WR versus normal weeks.

Why is it always unfair one direction but not the other (did PvP rush affect beta? Did PvE new year cause farming? Did the legendary relic announcment make people go out to farm gold/build stuff?). Even in normal WvW when a PvE patch hits (LS or whatever) then WvW take a nosedive.

Edited by Dawdler.8521

25 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Why is it always unfair one direction but not the other (did PvP rush affect beta? Did PvE new year cause farming? Did the legendary relic announcment make people go out to farm gold/build stuff?). Even in normal WvW when a PvE patch hits (LS or whatever) then WvW take a nosedive.

It's not fair or unfair.

Part of what Anet should be doing is measuring engagement. We have already seen that bonus events alone without betas draw in players. What we don't see is how the beta impacts game play on their own. That throws off how much players actually engage in the beta because they like the balance versus like the bonuses. They also might be throwing in the bonuses since they known veterans may not play during the betas for whatever reasons they might choose not to help out the testing. Hence why I say, sure give players bonus events but outside of the betas to get better numbers versus potentially inflated ones to better gauge if the matchups are better than normal. 

And yes I do see on my server impacted when events are occurring out of the mode and boosts when bonus event WXP are on. To me this just defines how many PvXers we have which also explains various shifts in activity. I spend something like 90% of my time in WvW but would still call myself a PvX player since I will do some sPvP, Fraggles and events.