"No Free Lunch" achievement seems impossible

For the ones that do not know yet,  under The Battle for Lion's  Arch category there is an achievement called "No Free Lunch". This achi requires you to kill the toxic spider queen in the instance Battle for Lion's Arch without her reaching any cocoon. From time to time she will spit web at a player, putting him in a cocoon. Then she will go there, attack the cocoon and insta down the player, just like the champ in Kessex Hills. Well, the difference is that, unlike the counterpart achi from The Tower of Nightmares episode, this achi will stop counting even if the champ go near a cocoon, even tho it won't down the player. We killed her without downing any player, but the achi did not count because the boss was less than X meters away from the cocoon. This is pretty hard to do because as soon as the queen spits the web, she will just charge that cocoon. The movement speed is insane, she will cover it in 2-3 seconds. Plus it doesn't work to kite the cocoon cuz she will spit at random. Is this how this achi was intended to work or should it be similar to the one from The Tower of Nightmares? I am trying to get it for longer than I spent to get any other achi from this episode. 1 day to do everything and from 2 days I am still trying for this one.

• Like 1

Earned the achievement yesterday, its very doable if you know the mechanics!

Here's the key: the Toxic Spider cannot use the cocoon attack on targets in point blank range. The solution then is to take a small group into a private instance (I duo'd it in my case) to avoid the danger of a random ruining it for everyone and then when starting the fight, have all party members blink or stealth in on the spider to start the fight (lest she open with the cocoon attack on the run in). From there, everyone must stay in melee range for the duration of the fight, otherwise it proceeds as normal: break bars, avoid toxic stalks, etc.

If done right with these constraints, its no harder than killing any other strong melee champ.

Edited by Bobkat.3780

1 hour ago, Bobkat.3780 said:

Earned the achievement yesterday, its very doable if you know the mechanics!

Here's the key: the Toxic Spider cannot use the cocoon attack on targets in point blank range. The solution then is to take a small group into a private instance (I duo'd it in my case) to avoid the danger of a random ruining it for everyone and then when starting the fight, have all party members blink or stealth in on the spider to start the fight (lest she open with the cocoon attack on the run in). From there, everyone must stay in melee range for the duration of the fight, otherwise it proceeds as normal: break bars, avoid toxic stalks, etc.

If done right with these constraints, its no harder than killing any other strong melee champ.

It will not spawn a cocoon at the very beginning. Other than that, the strategy you mentioned is sound.

Private instance is a must. We went with 6. Loaded up with CC. Rushed in, meleed and spammed CC. It will always cocoon the person farthest away not in melee range, so always stay very tight to it. On the 1st try, one of us was knockbacked and immediately cocooned. The 2nd try, it didn't even have a chance to move before it was dead.

Edited by Silent.6137

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Champion_Toxic_Spider_Queen

The Champion Toxic Spider Queen uses her cocooning skill as a long to medium range attack. to avoid her cocooning skill being used on you, it is advised to stay close to the spider during combat.

Yup, staying in melee is the way. Except still wouldn't count on reasonably succeeding it in public instance for now since what I've seen, there are always people just running around with ranged weapons 😄

• Like 1
  • Confused 1