Necro, rev or druid? End game - all modes, hard to choose

Favnira.1352

Hi all 🙂 

I'm kinda a returned player to this game and/or decided enough of jumping between all classes so...

Oh, and I know all similar questions were asked before and not once, but I need some sort of collective mind that can help me understand what is the best option for me (yes, yes, I know there's no "ultimate and best class for everything blahblahblah", but nonetheless)

I have classes with ascended gear available for all of them and can easily opt in to craft more with unique (marauder instead of berserker for WvW e.g) but i need to decide on which class I should stay that overall will be useful across all game modes (various builds included obv)

What I want:

- effective in spvp and group wvw (don't like roaming)

- relatively easy to pick up correct rotations

- welcomed in group pve (I like to play supports in group/raid/large open-world events so I really enjoy playing healalac druid in pve) 

What I like:

- necromancers: aesthetic, playstyle, easy to pick up and pretty straightforward, scourges are good for group wvw, really like harbingers in spvp
- revenant (not a vindicator though): bows and melee, charrs are amazing as revs (even I hate doing any jumping content with this race or I just don't know how to jump properly with charrs), not super hard to master + useful group content + can be effective in spvp

- druids, support and heal druids as a peace of mechanics but! this class is so boring visually imo, and after playing pet class for more than 6 years in different MMO I want something not related to an zoo-keeper that much

Also have couple of engies available, mesmers, guardians and an elementalist but haven't played any of them for longer period of time.

So what would be the ideal pick for me in this situations? Stick to druid as it will cover almost everything I need aside from effective solo-pve because druid doesn't have much of damage for soloing champions like staff mirage has (can be wrong there, haven't yet checked current meta builds)? 

Oddly specific that you say Druid instead of Ranger but Druid is a great Alac Healer in PvE, Necro and Rev both have decent DPS builds. 

For WvW and PvP, it's up to you. High chance whatever people suggest won't really stick if you just aren't capable of playing player versus player content well and you will have to experiment which class and builds best fit your playstyle with success. 

I'd recommend revenant. 

It's solid in PvE with strong support and dps builds through Herald and Renegade. It also has a lot of valuable utility like ventari bubble, stone road, amazing cc.

In PvP Vindicator is a strong force now, but Herald is still dangerous in group fights, and Renegade shortbow can meme on the unprepared.

In WvW the hammer Herald is a staple. Good ranged spike damage and powerful group support through facets and stone road. Not sure about revenant roaming in WvW.

1 hour ago, Yasai.3549 said:

Oddly specific that you say Druid instead of Ranger but Druid is a great Alac Healer in PvE, Necro and Rev both have decent DPS builds. 

Because I tried SB and untamed and both don't feel right for me sadly. Druid is the only fun one for me from all ranger specs atm.

1 hour ago, Yasai.3549 said:

For WvW and PvP, it's up to you. High chance whatever people suggest won't really stick if you just aren't capable of playing player versus player content well and you will have to experiment which class and builds best fit your playstyle with success. 

Fair enough, I've been there myself when I was completing spvp legendary backpack achievements where I have to win with3 different classes T__T 

But in general thanks for your thoughts 🙂 

1 hour ago, Erenias.6947 said:

I'd recommend revenant. 

It's solid in PvE with strong support and dps builds through Herald and Renegade. It also has a lot of valuable utility like ventari bubble, stone road, amazing cc.

In PvP Vindicator is a strong force now, but Herald is still dangerous in group fights, and Renegade shortbow can meme on the unprepared.

In WvW the hammer Herald is a staple. Good ranged spike damage and powerful group support through facets and stone road. Not sure about revenant roaming in WvW.

Gotcha, thanks.

Support in PvE means "classic" alacren and one of the recent quickness builds (herald iirc) only? Or it can be played as something with decent heal option via ventari utilities? 

4 hours ago, Favnira.1352 said:

Gotcha, thanks.

Support in PvE means "classic" alacren and one of the recent quickness builds (herald iirc) only? Or it can be played as something with decent heal option via ventari utilities? 

Revenant support in PvE would be those builds indeed. Alacren is getting buffed in the upcoming patch, so it'll only need about 40% boon duration instead of 80%. 

Heal quickness herald is a viable option. It's got good healing when running ventari, but it's got good sustained healing even just from staff skills and regen, so one could take jalis for stab.

2 hours ago, Erenias.6947 said:

Revenant support in PvE would be those builds indeed. Alacren is getting buffed in the upcoming patch, so it'll only need about 40% boon duration instead of 80%. 

Heal quickness herald is a viable option. It's got good healing when running ventari, but it's got good sustained healing even just from staff skills and regen, so one could take jalis for stab.

Sounds good. thanks for explaining 🙂

Rev can basically cover all roles with exception alac heal in pve right now. Healing quick rev might not be the most common but I think its perfectly viable. Its also one of the pillars of WvW squad play either as vindicator or herald and I am sure you can make a good roaming build. spvp you have vindicator and herald, both at least viable if not meta. Condi herald might also be an option (I like it even though its not on the top now).

I think rev right now is probably the most versatile class out there. 

Druid is meta as an alac heal in pve. For other roles you will have to look at other ranger specs. spvp ranger is great, druid is currently not the best option but I'm sure you can make it work. WvW was always a problem for rangers in general. While there are plenty good roaming specs out there, the class design just doesnt favour squad play. 

Necro has plenty of viable builds for all modes. Its a bit of a funny class in pve. You can play it as dps or quick dps np. HSCG is funny though. Its a super carry build which not many players will want in a group unless its a specific encounter. It doesnt bring any quickness or alacrity to the table which really limits him but when you need a true support carry, its the strongest build out there (for example Boneskinner strike).