Struggling with professions.

Heh, I'm seeing so many answers.  Every profession has its lovers and loathers.  So I'll toss in my own subjective suggestion:  Necromancer, with the Reaper Elite specialization, using mostly GS (with staff backup if ranged is absolutely required), with all Shout utilities.  Trait choice should include the one that auto-shrouds you if you take a killing blow while you have enough life force built up.  You become very tanky.  Not the fastest at killing things but pretty much the slowest to die.  The GS skills and the shouts synergize very nicely together and can be used at a slow, deliberate pace.  Dropping in and out of shroud is a simple F1 press and is a very useful part of the 'rotation.'

I have middle aged reflexes, tendonitis, and I mouse-move rather than WASD.  The most complex combo key I press in combat is CTRL-T to set a target; otherwise I am almost 100% one button at a time with my left hand (movement controls are on the side of my mouse; I very rarely hit my binding of CTRL-S to swap between snap to target and free placement of aoe).  When on Reaper I am so relaxed that I can take time *in combat* to have full conversations with people in Discord even though I am push to talk.

Thief requires a lot of movement and can be squishy.  Don't even think about Elementalist or Engineer, they take piano playing.  Now, my Reaper suggestion does mean waiting to 80 to actually use it, but core Necro is pretty sturdy too.  Mesmer can be a bit tedious to level, but the F keys are not that bad because they always do the same thing.  There is nuance but you can get away with waiting until you have 3 pink dots showing from generating clones/phantasms with your skills and utilities, then hitting F1 to shatter them for damage, F2 for a daze (I think), and F3 to damage a mob's blue bar.  If the mob dies before you shatter them, they break on their own.  They are basically fire and forget spells with a insta-cancel with effects when desired.  But they are important parts of combat so may not meet your stated criteria.

I still recommend necro to most closely match what you asked for.

7 hours ago, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

It really doesn't take that long.  All professions unlock weapon skill 5 at level 8, which for pistol off-hand is black powder.  Black powder trivializes nearly everything the thief will have to deal with aside from champions.  There's only two professions that can get something sooner:  Necromancer gets shroud at level 5, and rangers always start with their pet.  Until then, sword auto attack applies near 100% weakness uptime, which reduces incoming damage by 25%.  While the other two have larger health pools, thief hits significantly harder with their basic weapons.

It’s all relative.

Admittedly, it’s been a while since I leveled a character from level one, but there’s a reason people take guardians on key runs.

I wasnt saying thief’s impossible, just conceding to another post that some core profs simply feel easier in early levels.

• Confused 1

On 3/1/2023 at 6:02 PM, Jacob.2685 said:

I can handle the 1-5, and then 6-10

I changed the keybinds on mine, cause my fingers aren't that long.

7 is now Shift Q

8 is now Shift W

9 is now Shift E

Elite Skill is Shift Mouse button 5

On 3/1/2023 at 6:02 PM, Jacob.2685 said:

Is there a class that that simplifies everything or maybe a lot of skills being passive?

Necromancer is fun to play. Wells are underrated.

You stated you have a Warrior, so I'm going to suggest Guardian. I tried to play a Warrior early on (I'm a Warrior guy), but couldn't get into it. I ended up making a Guardian and falling in love with it. I have a Warrior now, but I don't play him as much.

Let us know what you decided on! :)

Edited by Krexen.9057
Spacing was atrocious.

On 3/2/2023 at 3:02 AM, Jacob.2685 said:

I'm looking to give GW2 a serious try. I've always bought the expansions and used my boosts but never really dove into it. I have a 80 ranger and warrior and an 80 boost from End of Dragons currently on my account. I'm looking to start from level 1 and do a full play through. I'm just wondering which profession has the least amount of button/ease of play. I can handle the 1-5, and then 6-10 typically as buffs get pressed occasionally. Start throwing in F1-F4 and it's a guarantee I'm not using 60% of the skills I have. Never-mind weapon switching mixed in there. Is there a class that that simplifies everything or maybe a lot of skills being passive? Let me know what you think my best options are. 

Thanks. 

Rough idea

Heavy Armor

Warrior Good start, easy to begin

Guardian Trains Player - Yeah, probably best option if you want to play very long time

Revenant Hard to manage in the beginning, energy management is a kitten.

Medium Armor

Thief Very hard to achieve peak pvp results, easy to understand in PVE.

Ranger Overally good start

Engineer Hard to manage and understand in the beginning, becomes extremely fun playing holo and scarpper. We don't talk about power mech

Light Armor

Elementalist Click bait for new players, hardest class to begin as someone new to mmo. It is very fun when you understand the profession.

Mesmer Ah yes, clones its all about clones. Virt and Chrono easy. Mirage needs you to train yourself everywhere, predict boss attacks etc. Its very fun.

Necromancer Somewhat makes you ignore mechanics and considerably trains to be bad player. Extremely easy to play.

Power rifle mech easiest profession to play. You just need to know how to walk and atk. Everything else auto.