A few things I think deadeye needs (PvE)

Ovark.2514

Deadeye's Mark should flip-over to a skill called something like "Unmark Target." If you use Unmark Target before the CD of Deadeye's Mark is off CD, the icon is bright red like with the reworked Firebrand tomes work alerting players that Deadeye's Mark will not trigger traits and won't grant a stolen skill while red. This way you can change your mark whenever you want even if the original foe isn't dead yet. This is important to have because many bosses and some adds phase without being dead which means you lose a lot of effectiveness as Deadeye. This ofc means that you would want to rework the utility skill Mercy into some other stun break.

Binding Shadow should act like Temporal Rift, pulling foes between the deadeye and marked target into a line when the shadow reaches the marked target. This would help deadeyes with their weak cleave damage, especially on rifle. Thanks to Death's Judgement and Skirmisher's Shot piercing, deadeyes can comfortably cleave foes in a line.

Fire For Effect: This trait feels kinda bad because so many groups already have plenty of might and fury. Here is my rework of this trait: Hitting your marked target with a stolen skill grants yourself and allies near you a copy of the boons on allies near your mark. (Boons copied from an ally cannot be applied to the same ally)                     This will allow you to feel good playing at range with a rifle even in instanced group content because you are able to maintain full boons. You won't be gaining healing but that's why you're at range anyway, to be safer.

Bonus idea: Shadow Gust should adopt the functionality that Wild Blow used to have where foes knocked back by it will domino against other foes.

Thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I like the idea of being able to un-mark and mark target without getting a second stolen skill when CD is still up. This may partially solve the issue with gang fight where targeting system sucks. Many time when I point my cursor directly at my intended marked target, the game just forced me to shoot at some other targets close to it, which wasted all the initiatives, making me a sitting duck.

• 3 weeks later...

I can fully agree with your suggestion about Deadeye's Mark. I've wondered often enough in the game why this is not possible (PVE / PVP / WvW). Especially since it would be so easy to implement.

I would go even further and add an additional QoL improvement for Deadeye's Mark.

Find Deadeye's Mark

Problem:

There comes up for every Deadeye player the situation where you mark your enemy with the Deadeye's Mark and during the fight you accidentally lose the marked opponent from your target. Since the Deadeye is bound to the enemy with the Deadeye's Mark, the task now is to find that one enemy as quickly as possible. That is still relatively simple, if the number of enemies is manageable (PVE / PVP / WvW). It becomes much more difficult when there are numerous enemies in a crowd (eg. WvW zerg). If you are unlucky enough not to find the target, then you are almost incapable of action as Deadeye and have to wait until Deadeye's Mark is recharged.

Currently, I prevent this problem by additionally setting each enemy I mark with the Deadeye's Mark as a personal target as well.

Solution:

At this point I always ask myself, if I already have to mark the enemy with the Deadeye's Mark due to the class design, can't I at least get a benefit out of this "marking"? Here, it would make sense that if I don't have an opponent targeted and I use the Deadeye's Mark ability during the cooldown phase, then the opponent with the Deadeye's Mark would be selected.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Metze.2849 said:

I can fully agree with your suggestion about Deadeye's Mark. I've wondered often enough in the game why this is not possible (PVE / PVP / WvW). Especially since it would be so easy to implement.

I would go even further and add an additional QoL improvement for Deadeye's Mark.

Find Deadeye's Mark

Problem:

There comes up for every Deadeye player the situation where you mark your enemy with the Deadeye's Mark and during the fight you accidentally lose the marked opponent from your target. Since the Deadeye is bound to the enemy with the Deadeye's Mark, the task now is to find that one enemy as quickly as possible. That is still relatively simple, if the number of enemies is manageable (PVE / PVP / WvW). It becomes much more difficult when there are numerous enemies in a crowd (eg. WvW zerg). If you are unlucky enough not to find the target, then you are almost incapable of action as Deadeye and have to wait until Deadeye's Mark is recharged.

Currently, I prevent this problem by additionally setting each enemy I mark with the Deadeye's Mark as a personal target as well.

Solution:

At this point I always ask myself, if I already have to mark the enemy with the Deadeye's Mark due to the class design, can't I at least get a benefit out of this "marking"? Here, it would make sense that if I don't have an opponent targeted and I use the Deadeye's Mark ability during the cooldown phase, then the opponent with the Deadeye's Mark would be selected.

This yes,  In WoW there's a skill called hunter's mark and it drops a big red arrow on your target.  We should steal that. 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2023 at 12:28 PM, Ovark.2514 said:

Deadeye's Mark should flip-over to a skill called something like "Unmark Target." If you use Unmark Target before the CD of Deadeye's Mark is off CD, the icon is bright red like with the reworked Firebrand tomes work alerting players that Deadeye's Mark will not trigger traits and won't grant a stolen skill while red. This way you can change your mark whenever you want even if the original foe isn't dead yet. This is important to have because many bosses and some adds phase without being dead which means you lose a lot of effectiveness as Deadeye. This ofc means that you would want to rework the utility skill Mercy into some other stun break.

Lack of flexibility in target re-prioritization was one of the big issues Assassin has in OG GW1, I've brought this up but a lot of people here think suffering this drawback is part of playing a Deadeye and enjoy being punished. Or they'll tell you to sacrifice one utility slot for Mercy while other classes don't get to lose a utility slot just to play their class. Anything except make a class better and more enjoyable. Maybe its just me but the difficulty and inconveniences shouldn't be on the mechanics of the character you play but on the enemy.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1