3070 very high gpu temps

1) Update to latest drivers (may have to even "clean install").

2) Turn your graphics settings down.  IDK what GeForce Experience's recommended settings are for GW2 these days, but try that first as a starting point.

Edited by Chaba.5410

3 hours ago, Bewt.9258 said:

Limiting frame rate is the best and easiest way to lower temperatures. I have mine at 48fps which is a good middle ground between 30 and 60 and keeps my 3070 at mid 50° temps.

You unironically play at 48 fps with a 3070? Its an 11 year old game. Trust me, you can play at higher fps than 48. Jeez, why give yourself eye kitten for no reason

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Slackoth.2108 said:

You unironically play at 48 fps with a 3070? Its an 11 year old game. Trust me, you can play at higher fps than 48. Jeez, why give yourself eye kitten for no reason

It's your opinion that 48fps is terrible, but it's my opinion that the difference between 48 and 60 is extremely marginal/negligible. It's well known that GW2 is a CPU intensive game anyway, a high end GPU isn't going to do much, and like I said my 3070 runs at a very cool ~50° which ensures the longevity and health of my card for a very long time for when I want to play more modern games.

Edit: I'll add the fact that I play at 4k resolution.

Edited by Bewt.9258
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bewt.9258 said:

Limiting frame rate is the best and easiest way to lower temperatures. I have mine at 48fps which is a good middle ground between 30 and 60 and keeps my 3070 at mid 50° temps.

You shouldnt limit to 48fps on 3070, plus gw2 is harder on CPU and not GPU anyway. I do limit my fps at 200, but only in empty areas you will need it where fps goes very high. In open world/instanced content you'll be sittin at 50-120 fps mostly anyway. And in metas it gets crazy ~30-35 only, so its more about figuring out what kind of sync do u want (vsync/gsync or off), thats the main issue with low FPS on high end GPUs. Somethings not right tho, maybe OP has to check fan curves, maybe fans are sitting on idle. On my 3070 i barely get to 60degrees even in "busy" areas. Ofcz 80 degrees is not really concerning but i dont think its normal for gw2. 

Edited by Carnifex.3275

2 hours ago, Bewt.9258 said:

It's your opinion that 48fps is terrible, but it's my opinion that the difference between 48 and 60 is extremely marginal/negligible. It's well known that GW2 is a CPU intensive game anyway, a high end GPU isn't going to do much, and like I said my 3070 runs at a very cool ~50° which ensures the longevity and health of my card for a very long time for when I want to play more modern games.

Edit: I'll add the fact that I play at 4k resolution.

1 hour ago, Carnifex.3275 said:

You shouldnt limit to 48fps on 3070, plus gw2 is harder on CPU and not GPU anyway. I do limit my fps at 200, but only in empty areas you will need it where fps goes very high. In open world/instanced content you'll be sittin at 50-120 fps mostly anyway. And in metas it gets crazy ~30-35 only, so its more about figuring out what kind of sync do u want (vsync/gsync or off), thats the main issue with low FPS on high end GPUs. Somethings not right tho, maybe OP has to check fan curves, maybe fans are sitting on idle. On my 3070 i barely get to 60degrees even in "busy" areas. Ofcz 80 degrees is not really concerning but i dont think its normal for gw2. 

Just a bit of info. 1080 the cpu means alot in gaming.

4k... most of it is the graphics card unless the gpu has around 4g of ram then alot of cpu is used juggling graphical data between system ram and gpu ram.

Maybe anet could add 144 fps limiter in setting. Bought 5800x3d and my gpu overheat because fps is so high. I have like 250 fps in WvW spawn and PvE maps where isn't much players. Junction temps are like close to 100 celcius. Started to use radeon chill to keep fps close to 144, but it's kind of wonky. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Junkpile.7439 said:

Maybe anet could add 144 fps limiter in setting. Bought 5800x3d and my gpu overheat because fps is so high. I have like 250 fps in WvW spawn and PvE maps where isn't much players. Junction temps are like close to 100 celcius. Started to use radeon chill to keep fps close to 144, but it's kind of wonky. 

That's why i cap my FPS at 200. So in those empty or less crowded areas fps wont go very high. Isnt there some limiter for amd cards like for nvidia in nvidia control panel?

Some facts to the various comments in this thread:

1. An overheating GPU is not a Guild Wars 2 issue. That's a GPU issue. 

2. 80 degrees celsius core temperature is not a high GPU temperature, that's actually pretty okay.

3. 100 degree celsius junction is "normal" for AMD GPUs - at least the ones with an AMD cooler and AMD fan profile. The profile aims for that junction temp. (which is about 20 degres higher than the core temp) and does not ramp up the fan speed until it is reached to achieve a high GPU clock speed. The GPU fan then tries to hold this temperature and if it can't the GPU starts to throttle  (reduce clock speeds for prevent overheating) at 110 degrees junction temp.

4. The Nvidia driver works with black- and whitelists for most of its features. I guess the driver frame limiter does not work because GW2 brings its own limiter and so the application is blacklisted in the Nvidia driver. For AMD GPUs Chill and FRTC work just fine with GW2.

Edited by KrHome.1920

• 10 months later...
On 5/8/2023 at 10:48 AM, KrHome.1920 said:

Some facts to the various comments in this thread:

1. An overheating GPU is not a Guild Wars 2 issue. That's a GPU issue. 

2. 80 degrees celsius core temperature is not a high GPU temperature, that's actually pretty okay.

3. 100 degree celsius junction is "normal" for AMD GPUs - at least the ones with an AMD cooler and AMD fan profile. The profile aims for that junction temp. (which is about 20 degres higher than the core temp) and does not ramp up the fan speed until it is reached to achieve a high GPU clock speed. The GPU fan then tries to hold this temperature and if it can't the GPU starts to throttle  (reduce clock speeds for prevent overheating) at 110 degrees junction temp.

4. The Nvidia driver works with black- and whitelists for most of its features. I guess the driver frame limiter does not work because GW2 brings its own limiter and so the application is blacklisted in the Nvidia driver. For AMD GPUs Chill and FRTC work just fine with GW2.

Your "facts" are your opinions and false ones.

1. Overheating GPU for a 12 year old game is that game's problem, not the GPU's. 12 years ago people were using GTX 680 at best a 3060 should be freezing with this game.
2. GPU at 80 C is okay for gaming but it is not okay for a 12 YEAR OLD GAME.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Alp The Dev.7598 said:

Your "facts" are your opinions and false ones.

1. Overheating GPU for a 12 year old game is that game's problem, not the GPU's. 12 years ago people were using GTX 680 at best a 3060 should be freezing with this game.
2. GPU at 80 C is okay for gaming but it is not okay for a 12 YEAR OLD GAME.

Both can be true.  There's always more to the story.

If you're having issues, please post up your configuration.

On 5/5/2023 at 3:09 PM, devnull.6085 said:

Recently, my 3070 gpu temps have been hitting 80 degrees while playing gw2, doesn't seem to matter where/what in game.

Go to settings, graphics options and set the frame limiter to 60 if possible and test again. You may want to check your GPU clocks as well using a tool like MSI Afterburner, etc. 
If you haven't done it already, set a fan profile for your GPU (You should do this regardless of what games you play). But as others have mentioned, we would need more information to help ya out.

I have a 3070ti and when I did not limit my frame rates, I would get between 300 to 500 + frame rates and pc ran fine never over heated, but it did get hot anywhere between 70 to 80 degrees. I now limit my frame rates to 60 because I paid over 2 k for my pc and want it to last awhile and letting them get hot is not good for getting a long life out of a pc now it stays between 45 and 50 degrees, and I really do not notice a difference with the way game looks or runs. It would be nice if they had a 100 limit, but they don't so 60 works for me, and my pc is happier so hopefully will be with me many years. One thing that can really cause a pc to get hot is dust I open up my pc every 3 months and clean it good so if you have not cleaned it out recently you should. compress air in a can really get the dust-off things without hurting anything just make sure can is always upright so it does not cause ice to form inside that is not good lol and Q-Tips with a little rubbing alcohol work good for cleaning the fan blades.

Edited by Zaviamoon.4569
  • Confused 1

Although this is a very old topic:
70 to 80 degrees (Celsius) does not really matter for a graphics card sure it is on the high side but if the frame limit is set to unlimited (and no V-Sync is enabled) this can be expected (dependent on resolution of them monitor and cooling of the GPU and case air flow). To be honest it would be best if you set your global FPS limit to whatever the refresh rate of your monitor is (aka if your refresh rate is 144Hz set it to 144 fps) with either the graphics control panel (Nvidia Gefore Experience / AMD Catalyst Control Center) or a tool like Rivatuner / RTSS*. The reason I say set it to the refresh rate of your monitor is even though the game might show that you have more FPS than the refresh rate of your monitor (example 230 fps on a 144Hz monitor) that extra 86 fps is wasted since your monitor can only show 144 frames per second, those frames are however rendered on your graphics card possibly raising the temperature more than needed. It is actually quite sad that something like this isn't done on the base operating system level (you set your monitor to refresh rate X your fps does not go higher than that would save some power usage / temps / etc.)

* I'm not affiliated with Rivatuner / Guru3D but do know this program can be used to create a profile / global limit for FPS that actually works if for whatever reason your graphics card control panel does not work for this. 

Edited by Ashnod.4365
  • Sad 1