ELI5 How this Restructuring Works

I recently returned to this game a few months ago and started WvW stuff a week ago.  My characters have always been on server Jade Quarry since this game launched.  

The last week, every night, I see the same large guilds commanding and hosting large coordinated Squads, but also advertising they are openly recruiting.  I decided to speak with one of those recruiting guilds last night and they asked if I am on server Gates of Madness, and that they would need to check with leader to see if they were allowing recruited people from other servers.  Huh?  This question confused me.  

Years ago I remember each WvW map split apart by servers, where three different servers are pitted against each other.  I see now the WvW maps are Reaper's Corridor vs Titan's Staircase vs Moogooloo (to my knowledge, none of these are server Worlds).  So is everyone across worlds playing with everyone now, and randomly matched by guild into Red, Green, or Blue?  Are there other instances of this?  Did guilds get some choice in the matter before hand?  (I'm unguilded so I have no idea.)

Edited by Alaeacus.9635

This... actually make no sense. And it has nothing to do with the beta.

If they where on Jade Quarry last week (ie pre beta), they would still be there after next week (since beta last 2 weeks this time). And if you are there, you could join their guild today and end up on Jade Quarry just fine in 1.5 weeks. 

If they arent there but in your matchup last week, they have to be on the link. But unless the listings are wonky due to the beta, Jade Quarry is linked to Devonas Rest from what I can see?

But you're saying they are on Gates Of Madness??? Did they transfer? Do they plan to transfer? I dont get it.

1 hour ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

This... actually make no sense. And it has nothing to do with the beta.

If they where on Jade Quarry last week (ie pre beta), they would still be there after next week (since beta last 2 weeks this time). And if you are there, you could join their guild today and end up on Jade Quarry just fine in 1.5 weeks. 

If they arent there but in your matchup last week, they have to be on the link. But unless the listings are wonky due to the beta, Jade Quarry is linked to Devonas Rest from what I can see?

But you're saying they are on Gates Of Madness??? Did they transfer? Do they plan to transfer? I dont get it.

Yeah, it's strange to me as well.  Everyone in their guild are on Gates of Madness server, but their entire guild has been in my Jade Quarry WvW map all week.  I enter WvW solo and I have no guild.  Is the game just throwing me in a random WvW cluster full of misfits from all over? 

Could that representative be incredibly confused?  She literally asked her guild leader for permission to invite non-Gates of Madness players to the guild.  

Edited by Alaeacus.9635

Try to be clear about the timing here.

Since we have the World Restructure beta from Friday 09-06-23, if this happened after that reset, then it's because of World Restructure beta. In which basically people/guilds are randomly assigned to "new worlds" for two weeks beta.

If it was before that reset, it would be weird, since that was back to the current "normal links". In which typically two "old" servers are fused together for 2 months at a time.

What's confusing me more, is why any guild would try to recruit people in the WR beta... they should know that everyone get tossed back again to their old servers after the two weeks...

1 hour ago, joneirikb.7506 said:

What's confusing me more, is why any guild would try to recruit people in the WR beta... 

Havent seen it this time yet, but did see it last time. 

But yeah are we talking about last week or this week?

By how OP wrote it - including joining Jade Quarry map, which is kind of hard this week since it doesnt exist - I assumed we where talking about contacting a guild that advertised last week, he just chose to contact them now.

If this is not the case that explains it all.

14 minutes ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

Havent seen it this time yet, but did see it last time. 

But yeah are we talking about last week or this week?

By how OP wrote it - including joining Jade Quarry map, which is kind of hard this week since it doesnt exist - I assumed we where talking about contacting a guild that advertised last week, he just chose to contact them now.

If this is not the case that explains it all.

Nah, this guild has been advertising the last three days in WvW and my conversation with them was on Tuesday the 13th.  They aren't the only ones recruiting too within WvW.  The two main ones I see in my WvW are [Myst] and [Krew] if that means anything to anyone.  [Myst] is who asked if I were Gates of Madness.  

Edited by Alaeacus.9635

In that case, it is within the WR Beta. 

Which means, I honestly think they're silly for trying to recruit. Since anyone not already in their guild is 99% likely not from their server.

I'm assuming then that the above question is more in lines of "What is this World Restructure Beta thing?"

* The old first system was server vs server vs server.

Over time as populations got reduced, and a lot of servers where under populated, people asked ANet to do something about it, and they considered options. But instead of deleting X servers and forcing the members to new worlds, they made Linking.

* Linking is a system where they can Temporarily merge 1-2-3-4 servers together for a time period, currently 2 months. This keeps the name of the "host" server, while all the "link" servers are listed as members of the host server for the duration. This is the current system.

This was deemed not good enough, for various reasons, and ANet started working on a new system..... way back in 2018 or so.... hey they work in mysterious ways but never in quick ways! And this is what we are currently beta testing. It will go on for another 1.5 weeks or so, and end at 23-06-23, at which case it will go back to the Linking system for now.

* World Restructure (Often falsely called Alliances), is a system that will remove the current worlds and recreate them every X time (probably 2 months as we have now). By either randomly assign people to new worlds, or randomly assign entire guilds around. 

There should be a bunch of posts around here with more details if interested in more details. But this should be enough to understand what is going on, and get you started on finding out more.

Edited by joneirikb.7506
Line breaks are nice...

On 6/14/2023 at 12:40 PM, Alaeacus.9635 said:

I recently returned to this game a few months ago and started WvW stuff a week ago.  My characters have always been on server Jade Quarry since this game launched.  

The last week, every night, I see the same large guilds commanding and hosting large coordinated Squads, but also advertising they are openly recruiting.  I decided to speak with one of those recruiting guilds last night and they asked if I am on server Gates of Madness, and that they would need to check with leader to see if they were allowing recruited people from other servers.  Huh?  This question confused me.  

Years ago I remember each WvW map split apart by servers, where three different servers are pitted against each other.  I see now the WvW maps are Reaper's Corridor vs Titan's Staircase vs Moogooloo (to my knowledge, none of these are server Worlds).  So is everyone across worlds playing with everyone now, and randomly matched by guild into Red, Green, or Blue?  Are there other instances of this?  Did guilds get some choice in the matter before hand?  (I'm unguilded so I have no idea.)

1. You're a on a regular server with JQ.

2. This week and next are temporary beta test weeks for the World Restructuring system, guilds and players have been thrown into different new worlds that only exist for the beta. The current temporary worlds were built up through different sorting metrics to try and have a more even spread in player activity per world. Regular server service will resume after next weeks matchup.

3. The guild Myst is on Titan's staircase(I'm also on that world), their home server is Gates of madness hence why they asked you if you were from there. When the beta is done everyone will return to their regular servers.

4. There's nothing wrong with guilds advertising during the beta weeks because for one it's temporary, and two they can be thrown into worlds with players of their home server, or three maybe even pickup players from other servers that enjoy running with them in that time and wish to join them after the beta ends.

5. Most guilds will usually state what server they're based in their recruitment message, because even on regular servers they are also attached to another link server.

So if you're not part of GoM and don't want to move after the beta, then just ignore the recruitment and move on. 🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1