What was the point of introducing the gods as part of the character creator system for humans, just to write them out because "lol we don't need no gods"?

Hologram.2810

On 6/20/2023 at 3:00 AM, Kalavier.1097 said:

edit: Humans haven't gone "We don't need no gods." Infact, even with Balthazar going crazy (whether you like it or not) his followers continue to revere what he stood for at the height of his teachings, not what he became. You can tell some Kormir worshippers at one point that she is gone, and they reply "We'll continue to follow her teachings and honor her."

This point is actually an interesting one in this game. Balthazar was a huge figure in GW1 because of the Battle Isles and the general Favor of Balthazar that you gained doing anything PvP related. 

I was a little sad to see what the writers did to Baltahzar by making him go mad and become a villain we have to kill in PoF but at the end actually found that a positive. As I like to role-play when playing this game, I was able to bring my GW1 character back to life in modern Tyria by RPing him as a Forged that got brought back to serve in Balthazar's army. He was disenchanted with what Balthazar did and eventually left his service, becoming a "traitor" to the cause. It was pretty fun.

Also, I don't think we are done at all witht he human gods in this game. There are lots of plot rumors running around and being speculated about in regards to Lyssa potentially seeking revenge for Balthazar's death as it did appear that she in some way aided him during the LW3 story. And now with all these demons in the new expansion we might well see us finding out the effects of the gods stepping away and having their god realms becoming infested.

If you went through the quest to get the griffon mount, you get to see this directly with Kormir's realm being infested with demons. Maybe the gods themselves will not return in GW2, but their legacy and effects of their actions will still be felt in the stories to come for sure.

11 minutes ago, Helliwolf the KrimsonKnight.6523 said:

I was a little sad to see what the writers did to Baltahzar by making him go mad and become a villain we have to kill in PoF but at the end actually found that a positive. As I like to role-play when playing this game, I was able to bring my GW1 character back to life in modern Tyria by RPing him as a Forged that got brought back to serve in Balthazar's army. He was disenchanted with what Balthazar did and eventually left his service, becoming a "traitor" to the cause. It was pretty fun.

Fun fact; The Herald is Devona from GW1.

• Like 1

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Exodus_of_the_Gods

They left a long time ago and only phone it in now and again. It's obvious the writers never used the gods extensively intentionally or we would end up with an aurene. They kept them for rare moments and even then, quite reserved. There is a reason Kormir doesnt really feel like a god. She lacks mystique.