Steam purchase options

I'm just curious if different purchase options will be added later to steam? For example the website for secrets of the obscure there's the base edition, deluxe and ultimate, but just the base edition on steam. But the ultimate edition comes with 4k gems tacked on which is incredibly good for account upgrades and lw seasons etc. Is there ever only one purchase option via steam? also sorry if this is a really stupid question/wrong place to post

Edited by Vartou.1972
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Vartou.1972 said:

I'm just curious if different purchase options will be added later to steam? For example the website for secrets of the obscure there's the base edition, deluxe and ultimate, but just the base edition on steam. But the ultimate edition comes with 4k gems tacked on which is incredibly good for account upgrades and lw seasons etc. Is there ever only one purchase option via steam? also sorry if this is a really stupid question/wrong place to post

The cost of the ultimate edition is the same as buying the base additiin and then buying the gems separately. Can you not buy the base edition and then just buy the gems?

• Like 1

The cost of the ultimate edition provides gems equal in value to the cost of buying the ultimate edition over the base edition.  That essentially makes everything in the deluxe edition free.  Steam users can only purchase the base expansion via Steam and then have the option to buy in-game the deluxe edition for 2400 crowns.  There is no Ultimate edition available for Steam users.

So in effect, Steam players are getting a worse deal than their non-steam counterparts.  The math makes it clear and does not lie.  

I am hoping they erred in this design and will correct it as I would be surprised if they were choosing to treat Steam players in this manner.

Adding the math. 

Buying the expansion directly from Arenanet for $75 gets you the base expansion + some skins and emotes + 4k gems.

Buying the baser expansion from Steam for $25 then buying 4k gems for $50 ($75 total) and buying the deluxe in-game for 2400 gems leaves a player with the base expansion + the same skins and emotes + 1600 gems.

That is 2400 gems less for Steam players.  Are we less important?

Edited by Anodin.9142
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Anodin.9142 said:

Are we less important?

Does steam take a cut of the gem purchases if made through steam?

If so, steam players buying the same thing as a non-steam user produce less income for ANet. I dont think that makes you less important, but it is a point.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It appears Steam does not sell gems.  I now buy my gems from within the GW2.  In response to your reply, I tried to find a way to buy Gems through Steam and did not find one. 

So it does not seem to be the case.  Further, if the Ultimate package was available to us it would be wholly irrelevant where we bought gems.  As of now, it does seem Steam players are required to spend more money to get the same benefit.,  I guess that means we are more important because we bring in more revenue (LOL).

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the matter.

27 minutes ago, Anodin.9142 said:

It appears Steam does not sell gems.  I now buy my gems from within the GW2.  In response to your reply, I tried to find a way to buy Gems through Steam and did not find one.

It's all through Steam. Any purchases made on a Steam account goes through Steam. It's why they don't allow any outside purchases, such as gem cards, because Steam wants their 30% cut from everything.

• Thanks 1

On 6/29/2023 at 6:04 AM, Anodin.9142 said:

Thank you for the great explanations as to why Steam players are so unimportant to Anet.  We are not worthy.  

Thanks for supporting our claims.

I dont have a steam account but  what happens when you try to buy gems on the black lion exchange O button?

Dont it let  you buy gems with your steam wallet currency?

• Confused 1

I do not know why you have mentioned that since this is not about buying gems.

I do not expect everyone to read every post so I will do a quick repeat. 

The difference in price between the base expansion and the ultimate edition is equal to the number of gems that come with the ultimate edition which means that everything that comes with the deluxe edition is essentially free for those that purchase the ultimate edition.  

This is not available to Steam players.  

Buying the expansion directly from Arenanet for $75 gets you the base expansion + some skins and emotes + 4k gems.

Buying the baser expansion from Steam for $25 then buying 4k gems for $50 ($75 total) and buying the deluxe in-game for 2400 gems leaves a player with the base expansion + the same skins and emotes + 1600 gems.

Further, when comparing the cost of the deluxe edition, non-steam players can get it for 50 USD where a Steam player has to spend the equivalent of ~65 USD (25 USD for the base game and 2400 crowns for the deluxe edition). 

This is the worst treatment I have ever seen a game give a segment of its customers.  They must think I am unworthy.  

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Only Standard Edition expansions, so far, have been offered on Steam; so, this time is no different.

Since Valve takes a 30% cut, it is not surprising that extras cost more through Steam. 

They benefit from Steam being a way to get more players. If they don't want to give us a way to separate our accounts so we can pay them directly then they need to take their 30% hit for the cost of that system. The customer shouldn't be the one to suffer for this. We already can't do things Anet accounts can like link to GW1. Steam gets the shaft on everything it's weird it's even an option it just screws people that put in work on a Steam account.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

The ultimate editions were never available at any retailer, so steam isn't special here. Because of the gems, this version has a different refund-policy and also an extra payment fraud protection. So outside of promoting their own store, i guess that the refund policy might be one of the problems why it's not offered at retailers, as they can't / won't check, if the gems have already been used.

I don't know , if steam would even allow a different refund policy for the different game versions, because I just found, that the policy is the same for all games bought on steam?

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Schimmi.6872 said:

The ultimate editions were never available at any retailer, so steam isn't special here. Because of the gems, this version has a different refund-policy and also an extra payment fraud protection. So outside of promoting their own store, i guess that the refund policy might be one of the problems why it's not offered at retailers, as they can't / won't check, if the gems have already been used.

I don't know , if steam would even allow a different refund policy for the different game versions, because I just found, that the policy is the same for all games bought on steam?

It'd be different if people could buy the ultimate on Anet and add it onto the Steam account but that's not a thing either.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Only Standard Edition expansions, so far, have been offered on Steam; so, this time is no different.

Since Valve takes a 30% cut, it is not surprising that extras cost more through Steam. 

Somewhat new to GW2 so I was unaware that Anet treated Steam players as second-rate customers.  Am used to Zenimax who treats their Steam players as equals.  It is surprising how two top games treat their Steam customers so differently.  One treasures while the other trashes.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Schimmi.6872 said:

The ultimate editions were never available at any retailer, so steam isn't special here.

But non-steam players can buy any of the versions directly from Anet but Seam players cannot.  So it is irrelevant what is sold at third-party stores.  

Further, Steam players can purchase the Deluxe addon for 2400 gems after they have purchased the base expansion.  That ends up costing Steam players almost 65 USD total for what a PC player can purchase.  

That additional cost is from purchasing gems directly from Anet so the Steam cost is irrelevant.  Anet is clearly treating Steam players poorly.   It is rediculous.  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Anodin.9142 said:

But non-steam players can buy any of the versions directly from Anet but Seam players cannot.  So it is irrelevant what is sold at third-party stores.  

Further, Steam players can purchase the Deluxe addon for 2400 gems after they have purchased the base expansion.  That ends up costing Steam players almost 65 USD total for what a PC player can purchase.  

That additional cost is from purchasing gems directly from Anet so the Steam cost is irrelevant.  Anet is clearly treating Steam players poorly.   It is rediculous.  

Your not buying it direcly from Anet you are buying it from steam and they take a cut.

You had a choice you could have bought it directly from Anets website but chose to buy it on steam.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Vartou.1972 said:

ty for responses just didnt know that the ultimate/deluxe doesnt show up on steams store will just purchase the gems seperately for LW seasons 🙂

You have to buy it through steam you cant buy it anywere else it wont work.

Yeah I've bought gems already via steam, I was just planning to buy the expansion ultimate edition for the gems to use for living world seasons but like someone said the cost of expansion and the 4k gems is roughly about the same price so it's not a big deal! 😄

• Haha 1